Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pedersoli Gibbs Rifle (Read 7311 times)
klw
Full Forum Member

Pedersoli Gibbs Rifle
Feb 2nd, 2005 at 5:32pm

I've giving serious thought to buying one of the Gibbs rifles made by Pedersoli.  Before doing so I'd like to hear from anyone who has shot one a lot.  Has anyone?

IP Logged

GWarden
Full Forum Member

Toledo  Iowa, Iowa, USA
Re: Pedersoli Gibbs Rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 10:00pm

Klw
I haven't fired one, but I saw one at the SHOT show, the wood to metal fit and finish was excellent on the rifle they had on display.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

klw
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 10:11pm

I thought so too.  Asked one of the Pedersoli reps to disassemble the gun.  They did that.  Hooked breach.  They did seem to suggest that the front sight needed to be anchored more stoutly then it is when it comes from the factory.

According to some of the distributors the Pedersoli moulds don't sell so they aren't being carried anymore.  They were expensive.  Wonder what people are using if not those?

Also, at least within my experience, Pedersoli sights can be a bit of a problem.  All the parts are there but they don't necessarily work well.

Still it is an interesting gun.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 8:07am

I have not personaly shot one but have seen them shot on the line at the Oak Ridge Long range muzzle loader matchs. The guys who are shooting them all had great things to say. Their scores were pretty good also.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Hawkeye

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 2:02am

I've got one in .451; had it for about a year; very happy with it so far but have yet to work out definitive loads!
Hawkeye.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 8:11am

Friend of mine has one and shoots it LR M/L matches.  He has had very good results. He is a good gunsmith and has changed the sights, not because of any problem but liked his other set better.  Tweaked the mold and bullet a lot too. 

If you are going to shoot L/R muzzleloaders I don't know of any other suitable rifle short of going to a custom gun.

Boats

IP Logged

Hawkeye

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 8:07pm

I purchased mine (.451") about 18 months ago. First 6 months breaking in barrel. First comp Nov 05, 200yards bench rest - first place. Then Class 4 Championship in Mar 06 which I won & set new record for 150m BR. I have not worked out suitable loads for it. I use the DP supplied mould. The sizer is a chore; my barrel prefers unsized projectiles. Front & rear sights are fine, as is trigger pull (no set trigger). I have compared card wad vs no wad at 100m and no wad produced slightly smaller group. A friend in Western Australia (I'm in Victoria) has a Gibbs in .40"; he recently shot 100/100 in 100m bench rest. We both use Swiss powder.
Hawkeye.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 11:02pm

Hawkeye, Sounds like your doing pretty good without those definitive loads!  I've been dieing to buy a Gibbs, but I have to many projects going. There are no long range matches in my area. One of these days. Ive been cutting wood for four months, and am now trying to get shelters built for the rainy season which starts in about a month. I dont think I'll make it. Ah, Ive worked in the rain before. I'm curious about how you load your gibbs. Do you use a bullet diameter same as bore diameter? How many shots do you get out of a nipple?    Joe.

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

vbull
Full Forum Member

South County, Rhode Island, Rhode Island, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 10:11am

KLW,
I've not shot one of the P-G rifles yet, but have seen them in use at several midrange and LR competitions.  The owners like them a lot once they have a mold to fit the bore.  If you get one, you should wait to order a mold after slugging the barrel or at least pin gaging the bore diameter.
We had an NRA midrange 200, 300 yard match here in Rhode Island last Sunday and 2 of the shooters were using the P-G rifles.  Myself, I was using a heavy underhammer I built with a #6 Winchester taper.  It weighs in at 14lb. 10 oz. which is just under the 15lb. limit.  It shot exceptionaly well and cleaned both the 200 and 300 yard targets.  100-5X @ 200, 100-6X @ 300 yards and a 98-2X on the 300 yard reduced target that simulates the 600 yard stage.  The shooting conditions were very good, heavy overcast with enough wind to move the smoke, no mirage.  I've been shooting the muzzleloader since coming back from the World Championship in RSA this spring and it has been just amazing me in how accurate it can be.  Good luck with your rifle.  Frank M.

IP Logged

Hawkeye

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 12:25am

Joe wrote:
I'm curious about how you load your gibbs. Do you use a bullet diameter same as bore diameter? How many shots do you get out of a nipple?

1 - I have not slugged bore or measured projectiles; maybe this week!
2 - Projectiles with visual defects are discarded, and only those with no more than 2 gns difference are retained. The required quantity are lubed a couple of days before the shoot. (Lube is stored in refrigerator. Sometimes I keep the lubed projectiles in the refrigerator especially when it is very hot; in these cases I forget the projectiles at home when I go to the range!).
3 – I weigh the powder (at home) & put each one in to a pill-bottle; in this case 60gns Swiss #4 for 100metres. I use a DP brass drop tube to load powder. I then tap butt up & down 10 times to settle powder in breech (I think it is called a nock (sp) breech).
4 – Projectile is pushed on to the powder (no wad).
5 – Ignition via RWS 1075+.
6 – BANG! 10X (I WISH!).
7 – Clean the bore with patch & Oz made bore solvent, then dry with dry patch. (just purchased some Windex with vinegar, as everyone is raving about it; will try this month).
8 – Have not replaced nipple as yet.
Yesterday I decided that I will be shooting the Gibbs on the 19th of August in our next comps of 100m bench rest & 100m cross sticks. If I remember I will report.
Hawkeye.

IP Logged

vbull
Full Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 9:08am

Westerner,
In both of my LR muzzleloaders, I drop powder (100 gr. Swiss 1.5) thru a tube/funnel.  Then a tablet backing wad.  The bore is then cleaned down to the wad with a damp patch followed by a dry patch.  I use a mix of water soluable oil/water on the damp patch but plain water works as well.
The bullet, just under bore size is then slid down to the wad.  Capped with an RWS 1075+.
The nipple is platinum lined to eliminate burnout.  Before using one of these nipples I tried stainless (lasted fewer then 20 rounds), Ampco (lasted around 35 shots), and a carbide lined one (lasted fewer then 75 shots).  The platinum ones I'm using have had at least 500 shots to date without any measurable wear.
I'm experimenting with paper patch bullets but have had the most consistant groups with grease groove so far.   There are a couple other web sites where they shoot/talk about these rifles.  Yahoo LRML group and LRML.org   Good luck, Frank M.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 3:56pm

vbull, hawkeye. Thanks for the info. I am fighting the urge to buy a gibbs!!  Maybe this winter.    Joe.

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

Brent
Frequent Elocutionist

When lead is in the air,
hope is in my heart ~MWH

Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 4:01pm

vbull and Hawkeye, where are you getting the RWS caps?  I have run out and cannot buy them locally anymore.  They are great caps though.

Brent

When lead is in the air, hope is in my heart ~MWH
IP Logged

vbull
Full Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 7:00pm

Brent,
I picked my caps up at the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine.  I was driving through on my way to a job in northern Maine and bought 2000 this spring.  I have to buy some more next time I go up that way.  Around here in Rhode Island, the only caps available are CCI magnums.  Otherwise I'd have to order some from a catalog.  Frank M.

IP Logged

Brent
Frequent Elocutionist

When lead is in the air,
hope is in my heart ~MWH

Reply #14 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 9:45pm

Frank,
If you know of a catalog that sells them, let me know where to find it or some contact number for them.  Probably cost a mint to ship as its hazzmat stuff, but I need good caps. 

Brent

When lead is in the air, hope is in my heart ~MWH
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print