Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Building your own fallling block action (Read 2708 times)
sakoman
Full Forum Member

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Building your own fallling block action
Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:37am

Is anyone out there building a single shot falling block action either from scratch or from castings?

sakoman sakoman  
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Senior Forum Member

Southern California, California, USA
Re: Building your own fallling block action
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:06pm

I'm sort of stalled in the process.

I bought the casting set for the DST Ballard action with the 4-finger loop lever from Bison Mfg. of Shawnee OK.  I think Bison later became Tools International and then burned down.  Storie's castings look pretty close to the ones Bison offered.

I was then taking Machine Tool Technology classes at the local Junior College and had a really good instructor who fully supported my hobby aims.  He was a huge help with the machining of the castings.  Some of those setups were pretty hard for me to do , but he would loosen a bolt, tap the side of the setup, and the runout would drop to 0-0-0.  It took a big lathe with face and angle plates to hold that receiver for boring.

Once set up, I was able to bore and thread the barrel hole (best indicator pickup on the cast hole in front) and also do the same to the tang hole in the back.  Threading the tang outside required making a holder, as it is tapered.

Once the barrel hole was threaded, I made mandrels to lock the receiver front and rear and a block and bolts to keep it from rotating.  Then I was able to set it up in a dividing head on a horizontal mill.  By offsetting the same distances from the center line of the barrel, I could flatten the outside of the receiver, cut that neat step near the top, octagon the top, and, by moving the setup to a vertical mill and tilting the mandrel, was even able to make those facets that are on some of the Ballard A-1's.  I could be reasonably sure that it was all symmetrical around the center of the barrel.

I drilled and tapped the receiver for the lever screw, fitted the breechblock halves together by hand and drilled and tapped them for the various screws and pins.  I put the holes in the lever, extractor, hammer and triggers but, except for the trigger springs, haven't hand-fitted the rest of the parts into the breechblock yet.  I surface-ground the breechblock even and fairly flat, but haven't completely fitted it into the receiver yet.  I took the Shop course over and over for 6 years and made myself enough miscellaneous bench and finish work to last through my retirement.  The Ballard is in line there somewhere Smiley.

There was enough metal on the outside of the receiver to pare off to the shape I wanted without thinning it unduly.  The breechblock casting was slightly slumped in the center, so the surface grinder left a kind of depression there, but it shouldn't show inside the receiver.  I asked the Bison guy (forgot his name) whether he x-rayed his castings and he said he didn't; any pores in the metal generally came up to the sprue areas in the mold.  I didn't run into any in the machining, so I guess he was right.  The breechblock mortise is a little on the small size but should clean up with a file.  A friend got a casting set for a High Wall from Tools Intl. later on and the breechblock mortise on that receiver was very small.  He had to set-up the receiver on the shaper in the shop class and open it up.  He could have pared the block casting down, but it might have thinned the sides too much; in any case, it wouldn't have looked right.

It took over a semester, as I recall, three nights a week, from right after dinner (or no dinner) till the teacher threw me out at 10:00 or so, to get as far as I got, but I found the work kind of fascinating.  You can really see how marvelous a factory must be to produce those complex shapes by unskilled labor and still have them fit together.  I still have to fit the internal parts and get the thing heat-treated, but I think the castings were worth the money and the experience was priceless.  On the other hand, it's not something to expect to get done in time for the big match at the end of the month.

IP Logged

precious
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 9:11pm

very nice.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

MASSACHUSETTS, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 9:47pm

Allen, I have responded to your email. Let me know if you don't get it and I will do it again. Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

bluesman
Full Forum Member

Paradise, California, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 10:37pm

Hi Guys...I'm about 75% done with a DST PG Ballard from Rod Storie castings...started about a year ago, strictly a spare time project.Many holes, and small imperfections had to be cut out and welded up, but as hard as it is to get a PG Ballard action to work from these days, I feel lucky to have it.

I've been taking lots of pictures as I go along, will post some of them soon.Spent about 4 hours today hand sanding the butt-plate casting...I have the barrel fitted, and now must get back to the breech block and firing pin.It's been quite the adventure!

i honestly think Chuckster is better off...mill one from solid plate and have less problems, and a far stronger frame.

Bluesman

IP Logged

bluesman
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 10:38pm

Hi Guys...I'm about 75% done with a DST PG Ballard from Rod Storie castings...started about a year ago, strictly a spare time project.Many holes, and small imperfections had to be cut out and welded up, but as hard as it is to get a PG Ballard action to work from these days, I feel lucky to have it.

I've been taking lots of pictures as I go along, will post some of them soon.Spent about 4 hours today hand sanding the butt-plate casting...I have the barrel fitted, and now must get back to the breech block and firing pin.It's been quite the adventure!

i honestly think Chuckster is better off...mill one from solid plate and have less problems, and a far stronger frame.

Bluesman

Stock_and_plate1.jpg (452 KB | 114 )
Stock_and_plate1.jpg
IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

County Durham, Great Britain
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 4:55am

Hello Sakoman,
You may have seen my efforts before, It's a Borchardt from solid steel stock. All major parts are machined, springs made etc and surprise, surprise they work. It's just the action body needs contouring final polishing but I can't hold a file with my Arthrits at the moment. When Spring arrives it may warm up this year, (it didn't last year) and I'll get it finished.
See:-

http://s89.beta.photobucket.com/user/Rifleman_01/library/#/user/Rifleman_01/libr...

Ignore the first shots of a Sabre-tooth Squirrel and my local grouse moors, scroll through to the springs and start there.

I wish I had started years ago when I was younger and fitter. Try making one yourself it is great fun. Plans for several single shots are available from the ASSRA  Archive at $10.00 per set. They will need enlarging, but even then they're cheaper than buying them from the large businesses who also sell them.

Harry

IP Logged

imalarduss
Full Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:51am

Myself I kinda like the pictures of the grouse moors.  Wife and her mother are from down south-Bedford.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 4:38pm

Bluesman,
I love that perch belly stock. Very well done.

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

bluesman
Full Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:12pm

Thank you sir!
I am working from a tiny Schoyen & Petersen catalog picture in an old paper-bound book, "The Golden Age of Single Shot Rifles" I've had for 30 years. Used an overhead projector to blow up the picture on the shop wall and made a template , the butt plate  is a much modified Remington Swiss  casting from the Rifle Shop, it's the only one I've found that could be altered to look right with that deep stock.Fits me very well, too!I hope to have this one shootable  soon.

Back to working on it,

Bluesman

IP Logged

RoyB
Senior Forum Member

Dartmouth, MA, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:11pm

Harry,

Did you do all that milling with that bench top milling machine?

Very impressive indeed!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

So Cal, California, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:58pm

Harry, The pictures after the sabre tooth squirrel IS the finished rifle, correct, or did I miss something? I ran out of memory, so couldn't watch the entire build, but was impressed with what I saw & to think I thought my Borchardt was a PITA to build.           Bluesman, Beautiful stockwork, I was really impressed. Nice to see somebody that knows what he's doing.      ...MIKE...

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

County Durham, Great Britain
Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:09am

RoyB wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:11pm:
Harry,
Did you do all that milling with that bench top milling machine? Very impressive indeed!
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hello RoyB,
All the milling was done on that little X2 Mill which has been significantly modified, the turned parts were done on a small 7"x12" bench lathe. A couple of items were EDM'd  otherwise it's all my own work.

Mad Mike,
The completed Borchardt is the property of an ASSRA Forum member who purchased an action that had at one time been in the hands of that well known 'Smith' Bubba. It was missing the setting screw on the Borchardt DST's, and he contacted me for a little help and advice. I put him in touch with an American friend who was at one time a gunsmith by trade. He fixed up the trigger and internal parts and then started to do additional work, he fitted a customised Badger barrel and worked over the internal parts, the action was engraved by Bill Gamradt, CC Bone hardening was done by Shiloh Sharps (lovely colours) A new stock and forearm was made and then it was sent to be checkered by another member of this forum. The uncase hardened metalwork was rust blued and all the pins and screws were nitre blued. A beautiful rifle, but sadly not mine.  Cry It's what I aspire too though.  Smiley

Harry.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:18am

hello

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:23am

westerner wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:18am:
hello

What happened to the modify and delete features?

They put it back...........broken.   Angry

That's a nice looking Ballard. Love to grain and how it flows with the stock shape. Want to see it when ithe finsh brings out the grain. And it's checkered with old style long diamonds.  Like Otto Bremmer did.  Bremmer? Bremer? The smith from Frisco.

Joe.  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print