Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MARTINI RIMLESS EXTRACTOR (Read 3497 times)
COLONEL
Ex Member

MARTINI RIMLESS EXTRACTOR
Aug 25th, 2006 at 8:55pm

CAN SOMEBODY POST A PICTURE OR DRAWING OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES. I HAVE THE JIM WASMUNDT TYPE. THANKS, REGARDS,BEN.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Oldtimer

Eureka, CA, California, USA
Re: MARTINI RIMLESS EXTRACTOR
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 10:41pm

For the record, he's not the only one interested!

I'd love to see a couple good pics of rimless extractors for the Martini.
(I have this dream of building a .221 Fireball in a 12/15 action I have... but that whole extractor thing has kept from from doing it... yet!)

Paul F.

IP Logged

COLONEL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 11:14pm

DD POSTED A DRAWING OF JIM WASMUNDT EXTRACTOR ON ANOTHER BOARD. I WILL EMAIL. REGARDS,BEN.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2006 at 11:26pm by N/A »  

EXTRACTOR.jpg (35 KB | 207 )
EXTRACTOR.jpg

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Cut Bank, Montana, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 3:08am

I to have considered the .221 Fireball in the small Martini. If I were to do it I would just use 5.6 x 50 R cases to make Rimmed Fire ball cases.  

The Rimless exatractor works, but not well with high intensity rounds and poorly as ejectors.  By there very nature the extractor hooks have to be spring loaded and the tend to drag on case bodies as the case is pulled out of the action.

Here is the Wasmundt Extractor.

This is the Hoffman Model as used by Bob Snapp and Les Brooks with there own refinements making there different but the same.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 10:22am

Many thanks, Doubled! I too have wanted details of the Cadet rimless extractors for years. I knew how the Snapp model was designed but did not know about any others. The Snapp diagram is very clear but the Wasmundt info isn't, unfortunately, but I believe I can figure it out.

BTW you might find it a lot easier to find 357 Max brass with which to make your rimmed 221s. The only 5.6x50R brass I can find is either RWS unprimed brass (I don't like it & it's very expensive) or else in complete loaded ammo form if it's another brand like S & B (again quite expensive & a lotta work).

I've also seriously considered using the 224 R-C Maxi wildcat, which is nothing more than the 357 Maximum case with a 223-length neck on a 222-length body. It's made by running the std 223 reamer in up to the 222 headspace dimension, then using std 222 dies. It makes a neat little rimmed 222 with short 223-length neck and you can use std 222 loading data. Just size the 357 Max cases down and then anneal the necks, the length is proper as is. Neat!
Regards, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

COLONEL
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 11:06am

THANKS TO ALL. REGARDS BEN. MORE IDEAS PLEASE. SIMPLE DRAWINGS.  I WILL COPY THE WASMUNDT AND POST IT.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 1:04pm

JD,, Just a quick question;  what (other than price) issues do you have with RWS brass in 5.6X50R?  I only ask because that brass has become a sort of "gold standard" for the making of .32/.357 brass on the Dell pattern, and I don't want to spend the admittedly high price for the brass if there is a hidden problem.  BTW, I am shooting this caliber in a big frame Peregrine, and since there will likely be no more parts available for it and the extractor is both complex and a little delicate, this is critical info for me.

All the best, Froggie

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 10:38pm

Froggie, I haven't used any RWS brass in 5.6x50R, my prejudice extends to all RWS brass unless & until I have a good experience with some of it.

That hasn't happened so far.

Have used RWS brass in 6.5x57, 9.3x74R and 5.6x52R; the 5.6x52R was slightly soft and slightly small on the case OD and had small flash holes, the 9.3 was OK aside from slightly small flash holes, but the 6.5 stuff not only had small flash holes but also had too-shallow primer pockets and was way too soft as well. The small flash holes probably didn't affect accuracy but they occasionally hung up on my decapping pins. I had to ream the 6.5 primer pockets ~0.010" deeper just to get the primers barely down level with the case head, and had to re-ream them after every firing because of the soft brass. What a PITA! Also, the 'dreaded doughnut' reared its ugly head in the 6.5 after the 2nd firing, I assume again it was the soft brass. Luckily I recognized it in time, my case heads really swelled noticeably, soft brass again.

For all I know, the other brass could have been soft as well, but since both the 5.6 and the 9.3 operate at slightly lower pressures I didn't have any real softness problems with them. Now, when I tried to use the 5.6x52R brass in my Improved Zipper...............
Boo, hiss & other expressions of discontent, but regards to you Froggie, Joe

PS BTW I'm sure you already know that RWS brass has a sterling reputation for consistent dimensions, and I found this to be true with mine. If only the dimensions had been the correct ones!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 10:46pm

Froggie, just a quick suggestion: since your Peregrine extractor could become an issue, IMO you would benefit from hard brass. Starline brass IME has proven to be harder than anything else I've tried but I don't know about their dimensional consistency. My sampling is mighty small, only 2 calibers, 357 Mag & 45-2.4", but they also have a 'hard' reputation with the BPCR shooters. You'll probably want to trim the case mouths, I found them to be a little ragged on mine.
All the best, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Southwestern Ohio, Ohio, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 12:58am

Paul;
I have a Ruger #3 in .221 fireball with custom wood. It shoots well and there is NO extraction issue. It is a rechambered Hornet. I can recommend the conversion without reservations. You might find this a possible route for you.

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

Wapiti
Full Forum Member

Colorado, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 2:29pm

Guys,
Who is currently supplying these and how much are they?
TIA

IP Logged

COLONEL
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 4:20pm

JIM WASMUNDT MAY HAVE AN EXTRACTOR. 541 439 2044 . HE DID MY 221 AND IT EJECTS. HE CONVERTED THE EXTRACTOR IN THE 12/15. THE 310 WOULDN'T BE AS MUCH WORK. REGARDS,BEN  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Wapiti
Full Forum Member

Colorado, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 5:25pm

SmileyThanks Colonel!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print