Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BSA Martini M.15 Conversion (Read 1909 times)
DrHenley
Junior Forum Member

BSA Martini M.15 Conversion
Oct 1st, 2006 at 10:24pm

In looking over some threads, I saw where rimfire Martinis can be converted to centerfire.  This is veeeeeery interesting!

I wanted a Martini for many many years.  After looking at all the options, I had decided to get a Martini Enfield in 303.  I wanted to actually SHOOT it, so the 577-450 chambering wasn't very appealing.  I searched for years for a decent 303 Martini and finally gave up.  I even made a trip to Atlanta Cutlery but all the Martinis I saw were not fit for anything but wall hangers, and I could not find a 303 at all.

I finally decided to buy one of Thad Scott's BSA Martinis and settle for a 22.  I went to Indianola, MS and and picked out a model 15 from Thad Scott's vault that had 99% of the bluing and a pretty decent bore.  I had a scope mounted and I have been using it for squirrel hunting, but that has not satisfied my urge for a centerfire Martini.

I did not know that the rifle could be converted to centerfire.  Sure, the thought crossed my mind, but I didn't really think it was possible.

So here are my questions:

Are there any limitations on case rim or body diameter?
I assume it needs a rimmed case, correct?
How is the firing pin converted to centerfire?
What are the pressure limitations on the action?
Where can I get another stock?
Who can do the rebarrelling?

OK, OK, I'll stop asking so many questions...for now... Cheesy

BTW, my deer camp is in the Mississippi Delta, not very far from Indianola.  I'll be there around Thanksgiving and again after Christmas, and can make another trip (or two) to Thad Scott's.

IP Logged

MI-shooter
Forum Mod

Re: BSA Martini M.15 Conversion
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2006 at 10:47pm

There is alot of common knowledge that says rifle cases based on the 30-30 case are ok in the small frame martini if pressures are limited to that of the 30-30 or 32 Winchester Special levels.  Pistol cases no larger than the 41 Mag seems to be OK too.  The limiting factor is what can be chambered down the loading trough and the meat left in the chamber walls next to the threads. This is pretty uniform advice regardless on the action wall thicknesses, although some reasonable argument can be made that the thickwall versions have a slight edge. Conversion from RF to CF involves shortening the horns on the operating lever and truing up the breach face. This is the most common way. I have seen and heard of people offsetting the firing pin for a CF conversion. Also, depending on pressures, you may have to bush the firing pin and reduce the pin diameter. Rimless extractors are being made by Bob Snapp of Michigan and others.

Since you mention you had a Model 15 from TS, I'm curious if it really is a model 15. He is quite well known for mismarking his inventory. A true model 15 has the rear sight vertically dovetailed into the back of the receiver and is the only BSA rifle to be done in this manner.

I offer for your review the following sites on martinis

http://rifleman.org.uk/index-24.html
http://www.martinihenry.com/

Ed

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Re: BSA Martini Conversion
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2006 at 4:41am

Doc,
Some eye candy for you - my 12/15 in .22 Hornet, more like a bench rifle...
I kept the original wood, put on a Weaver scope and had a bull barrel mounted.
I also have a .30-20 CF, this one with the original open sights - that one has  take-off Schultz and Larsen .308 match barrel.  For the moment, I am feeding it 150gr spire points, and it really is accurate - also probably the most versatile rifle I own.  No pic here, unfortunately...

IP Logged

DrHenley
Junior Forum Member

Re: BSA Martini M.15 Conversion
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2006 at 5:51am

MI-shooter wrote on Oct 1st, 2006 at 10:47pm:
Since you mention you had a Model 15 from TS, I'm curious if it really is a model 15. He is quite well known for mismarking his inventory. A true model 15 has the rear sight vertically dovetailed into the back of the receiver and is the only BSA rifle to be done in this manner.

I don't think TS ever said what model it was.  I just went through *all* his Martinis and picked one out that I liked (and that I could afford).  It has the characteristic M.15 receiver sight, which is how I identified it as a Model 15.

Here is a picture of it in squirrel hunting configuration, with a 6-18X50 Bushnell and the receiver sight removed:

I had a local gunsmith cut off 3" and recrown the barrel, but he botched it by boogering up the rifling at the muzzle.   Angry  Now I'm going to have to cut off another inch and recrown again.  Embarrassed

I plan to cut the forend in half to shave off a little weight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print