Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Browning vernier sight set (Read 1934 times)
mrballardman
Junior Forum Member

Browning vernier sight set
Oct 3rd, 2006 at 2:01pm

I would like to get some info on these sights.  How good are they? are they repetable?  who makes them?  Midway offers them at about $300 for the front and back and in shiloe sharps size.  Thanks for your help.

Ed

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Oldtimer

Eureka, CA, California, USA
Re: Browning vernier sight set
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2006 at 3:20pm

I don't know anything about them..
But if you're interested in that price range, you might also investigate the Ukrainian made sights that Buffalo Arms carries, I believe the brand name is "Parts Unknown".
I have one on a repro Sharps, and I like the sight better than I like the Rifle. A bit under $300 as I recall.

I hope someone else can answer the question you actually asked Smiley

Paul F.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2006 at 3:49pm

let me preface this by saying I am repeting hearsay comments from some time back.  I have a browning 45-70 I was going to put tang sights and globe front on, before I found out that schuetzen was more practicle for me than BPCR.  In the process I was told that the Browning sights were of lower quality and that the adjustments were less accurate and repeateable and that they were outsourced from Italian outfit that made the Pedersoli sights at that time. that most of the top shooters who were using the Browning BCPR or Creedmoor were upgrading to top end USA-made sights.  Now this information is several years old, so take it for what it is worth.  The situation may have changed in the intervening time but since the BCPR and Creedmoor are long discontinued and who knows what Browning did in the meantime.

I can reccommend the Parts Unknown sights as excellent sights and at far lower prices than equal quality MVA/Axtell etc sights.  In fact sergio's prices are in about the range of the others when you can find them used.  His ad in the Journal lists a phone number of 1-866-239-9451 or 204-487-7185  Canadian Standard time (hes in Winnepeg) and an email of spustogo@saw.ca.  However he has not updated the ad for quite a while and The numbers may have changed,  you might google "Parts Unknown"--"sights" and see what is found.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

RD146

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2006 at 5:13pm

Greetings:

Thought that I would chime in on this one. Although your questin was about the Browning sights, I have been using the Ukrainian long range soule on my Sharps 45-90 for four years. It is a good sight for the money and it has an adjustable eye piece which is a $70.00 - $80.00 option on most others. It could be made a bit heavier as I have had to "tighten it up".

I also put an old style parts unkown midrange soule on my CPA .38-55 silhouett. Reason being the standard adjustable eye piece is needed to adjust for these old eyes. This sight appears to be a bit heavier and tighter.

One thing on front sights. If you are thinking of a spirit level front with interchangable inserts, make sure that the liquid in the level is colored enough so that the bubble can be seen. The Italian fronts sights that I have seen do not have colored liquid in them and the bubble cannot be seen.

I have spirit level fronts from both MVA and Lee Shaver. The Lee Shaver is tops because the inserts are held in by a screw collar and they are about $40.00 less expensive.

Hope all this is of some use.

Cheers
R. Dupraz

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Full Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2006 at 8:56pm

Have had two Brownings BPCR. The sights are OK. They have side play and dont lock in place as good  when there put in shooting position.I  put on an MVA long range and what A difference. Save your $$$ and go for the quality, one GOOD assembly sight can be used with A couple rifles and the finger tight screw. Pete

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2006 at 9:21pm

just an addendum/correction.  I just saw an ad for the brownng sights in the oct sale flyer #232, the set--front globe/spirit level, rear tang vernier sight and set of 8 front sight inserts is 399$ and it is said to be made in USA.  so those at least are not the italian ones I referred to above.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 12:59am

Gentlemens:

The Browning sights are, and always have been, made in this country. Someplace in Utah as I recall. They are serviceable sights, definitely not the quality of MVA or Baldwin, but much better than anything I have seen from Italy.

My recommendation, and what my personal competition rifles sport, are the Parts Unknown "new style"  Soule tang sight and the Distant Thunder spirit level front  The PU sight is not as finely finished as an MVA, but it is good enough and the elevation adjustment system puts it head and shoulders above any other available sight.

The Distant Thunder is a globe sight with spirit level inside the globe. It is reasonably priced at $130 and well made. DT can be reached at jmkluskens@hotmail.com or (715) 251-3839

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Texas, Texas, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 9:45pm

Here’s the “skinny” on the Browning Sights:

Advance Manufacturing Technology (AMT), also known as Advance Engineering Technology (AET), a precision machining company located in West Valley City, Utah (near Salt Lake City), manufactured the front and rear sight assemblies for the Browning BPC rifles.

Concerning reported problems with the sights, some shooters believe they have excessive play or slack in the windage-base/ladder assembly in the fore and aft (front and back) direction.  The movement was greater on some due to slight lot-to-lot machining variances in the windage-base assembly that supports the sight staff (ladder assembly).  At the time Browning determined the movement was not detrimental to the functioning and accuracy of the sight.  Using a simple trigonometric calculation I confirmed Browning’s determination.  The maximum vertical error will not exceed plus or minus 0.0005” in the peephole position, which is much more, actually a factor of 20 or 20 times more than the maximum accuracy capabilities of the vernier scale.

Two additional problems reported were ladder detent reliability, and excessive lateral (left and right) movement in the rear sight ladder/staff.  In all cases the root cause of ladder lateral movement was traced to a missing, broken, or improperly installed spring between the base of the sight ladder and the sight windage barrel. 

I have purchased and evaluated recent examples of AMT’s sights.  They are tight, repeatable and reliably snap into detent.  By the way, These sights were also supplied with the recent limited edition Winchester Creedmoor rifles.  They are currently being sold as original Browning sights and can be purchased directly from AMT or from on-line distributors and retails such as Midway USA and Brownells.  The standard front sight and Creedmoor windage-adjustable front sight are available, as are rear sight bases designed to fit Sharps, Ballard, Winchester and Remington rifles.

Wayne

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 7:29am

Thank you TexasMac.  That should pretty well put to rest and rumors, innuendos, and general blackguarding of the Browning sights.  I apologize to any and all for posting my previous misunderstanding about them.

When are you going to publish your research on the Brownings?  The ASSRA Single Shot Journal would be interested in an article.

DWS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print