Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loading Data for 1874 Sharps Reproducion (Read 4172 times)
samson1150

Loading Data for 1874 Sharps Reproducion
Oct 10th, 2006 at 4:06pm

Hello!  I have just purchased a 1874 Sharps Reproduction Rifle, imported by Tri-Star.  It was manufactured by Uberti in Italy.

I will be using a 405 gr. cast bullet and need some help with loading data for smokeless powder.  I know the manual says to use black powder loads only, so I do not want to push my luck.

Since this is my first single shot rifle, I need all the helpful suggestions that I can find.  Any suggestions on where to buy cast bullets?

The rifle will be used for target shooting only.

I welcome any and all suggestions,

john samson
samson1150@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Oldtimer

Eureka, CA, California, USA
Re: Loading Data for 1874 Sharps Reproducion
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 4:35pm

Should we assume that you're speaking of a .45-70 chambering in this rifle? Cheesy

Assuming this to be the case...
I'm also new in the "having a repro sharps and developing a load" in .45-70..

Just this weekend, I tested a load of 25 grains of SR4759 under a 405 gr cast bullet.  The results look promising, but I was only able to shoot at our 200 yard 18" steel plate gong with it, rather than give it a good on-paper testing. 

If you're not shooting black powder (and I'm not either... YET...), 4759 is an often-recommended smokeless powder for big black powder cases.

Any other specific recommendations, I'll leave to those with more than 2 loads for .45-70 under their belt.

Paul F.

IP Logged

montana_charlie
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 4:39pm

samson1150 wrote on Oct 10th, 2006 at 4:06pm:
Hello!  I have just purchased a 1874 Sharps Reproduction Rifle, imported by Tri-Star.  It was manufactured by Uberti in Italy.

I'm sure it was just an oversight, John, but most guys will state the caliber designation of the rifle when asking for loading data.
As it happens, that probably isn't necessary in this case.

Your rifle may be marked Uberti, but it is most probable that it was made by Pedersoli.  I say 'most probable' because some of the early Uberti-branded 1874 Sharps were Armi Sport rifles.  But, Uberti does not build the pattern, themselves, due to a long-standing agreement between them and Pedersoli.

Ever since the Uberti guns appeared, I haven't seen one which was chambered for anything but .45-70.  They surely know that Pedersoli can build them in a variety of chamberings, but apparently are not ready to venture into those.

I can't help you with reloading data for smokeless, as I use strictly black.  But the .45-70 loads in the published manuals are all safe for use in your rifle.
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 6:43am

Since relaoding data for .45-70 is almost always given for Trapdoor, Lever action, and Ruger, I recommend you stay in the Trapdoor class of loads. I say this because this is the black powder pressure category. Your action will undoubtedly handle more pressure than that but we get fine acuracy at black powder velocities. Consequently I see no need for more velocity or pressure.
Most loading data you will find for smokeless .45-70 loads are geared toward getting all the velocity you can. Such loads are not the most comfortable to shoot and likely not the most accurate. I am not a sissy about such things but tend to reserve mega horsepower for where it is needed. It is not needed for shooting steel or paper targets for enjoyment. Pick a load giving 1200 - 1400 fps with the bullet of choice and have fun.

Don

P.S. My own feeling is that if I need to hot rod the .45-70 I will do so in a Ruger or just use a .458.

IP Logged

samson1150

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 1:17pm

Excuse me.  Sorry for not including the caliber of the rifle.  Yes, it is 45-70 Govt.  I was so excited about the rifle and finding this forum, I just forgot.

John Samson
samson1150@yahoo.com

IP Logged

iowa
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 1:26pm

samson1150:  There are quite a few powders that will work for the 45-70, but I'd take a look at Accurate 5744, and follow their reload advise.   It is reportedly made for the large capacity cases.  In my estimation one of the better secrets to shooting smokless in the 45-70 is to use a heavy crimp.  I believe 5744 also recommends this proceedure.   best regards steve witt

IP Logged

Jon

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:04am

Accurate Arms Obsolete Cartridge Data

You must have Adobe Reader to see the data, but you will find your load for the 45-70 here.  They show loadings for the Trapdoor 18000 psi and Sharps 28000 psi levels.  Enjoy..........

BUT the real fun begins with using real Black Powder and the accuracy attained when using it.  Then maybe you may look at using Paper Patch Bullets..... then you can blame our very own Brent Danielson for it.   Smiley

Just on the whim that you might someday load with real black powder here is a good read Introduction to Black Powder Cartridge Loading by Chuck Raithel.  This is written in Word Format and is safe to download.  This will save you some money of the SPG Primer that sells for about $23.00 bucks.

YMMV

"Jon"

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 5:12pm

Jon wrote on Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:04am:

For those who don't know Chuck Raithel AKA Coydog AKA Chuckie Cheese AKA something obscenely vulgar, this guy can really shoot! And he has a wierd & wonderful sense of humor as well. He thinks up things that are so 'out there' that sometimes he really should be punished, but his friends are afraid that he might enjoy it!
I recommend reading both Brent and Chuck, good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Full Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 9:23pm

samson1150,

You picked a great site to get help; there is so much knowledge here. You have been given allot of important advise. I have not used Accurate 5744 myself, yet I have tried a few other powders that were recommended to me. You’ll just have to try them out and find what powder works for your rifle. I use IMR 4198 and it works very good in my Shiloh Sharps 45-70. I’m loading 26 grains with .5 grains of Kapok. For now, don’t worry about kapok, it’s just a filler and take your time to learn about fillers later. My Muzzle Velocity is in the upper 1300fps without any leading.

What no one has commented on is where can you get your cast bullets. My first advice would be for you to go to your local range where they are shooting the Buffalo Rifle and get to know those shooters. Find out if some one cast bullets and sells them, or if they could tell you where you could go and buy quality bullets near by. Those shooters either cast their own bullets or buy them form someone that does cast bullets nearby. You can always go on the internet, yet your quality will not be as good as that of someone that cast in smaller quantities. Someone at the range may let you have a few cast bullets to load and try out. That’s how I started. Most gun shops that carry ammo usually have a small selection of cast bullets that are not lubed. You need to get your barrel slugged and find out if your bore is a .457, .458, or a .459. It will be one of those. On the internet, you can buy cast bullets on MidwayUSA, or buffaloarms are just two of the favorites that are out there. I’ve found that buffaloarms is a little more expensive for the same products then MidwayUSA is.  I recently bought some 580s and 670s from LTD Custom Cast Bullets. Below are the links that I came across when I was looking for cast bullets just as you are.

These rifles shoot good in Smokeless and Blackpowder. Take your time to figure if you want to shoot just Smokeless or Blackpowder, remember there is nothing wrong with doing both WP and BP. Many shooters do bounce back and forth depending on their shooting.

If you do wish later to cast your own bullets, I would bet that one of the shooters that cast bullets would not mind showing you how to cast and give you advice on what you will need. I currently cast a 405 grain bullet that gives me 420s, and a 535 grain bullet. Good luck, and enjoy your loading and shooting.

Buffalo Arms  http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=13&catid=84&step=2

Midwayusa
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse

Leadheads Bullets
https://secure25.securewebsession.com/proshootpro.com/order.htm

Penn Bullets
http://www.pennbullets.com/4570/4570-caliber.html

LTD Custom Cast Bullets
http://www.customcastbullets.com/

Custom Loads
http://www.customreloads.com/cast.html

More sites at this link
http://www.faloholics.com/cast-bullet-mfgrs

Tru Cast Bullets
http://tru-cast.com/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=da8b57d660a7bd2cd7e7b94c749a73f7

Paul&&ASSRA Lifetime &&NRA Benefactor&&RMBS Lifetime &&FNAWS Lifetime &&NAHC Lifetime&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print