Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Borchardt Rifle Co. Actions (Read 3809 times)
akjeff
Junior Forum Member

Borchardt Rifle Co. Actions
Oct 30th, 2006 at 9:33pm

Any of you folks have first hand experience with these actions? I plan to mail in a deposit on a couple, and let the waiting begin. The man I talked to said it would be a year, to year and a half wait.

I tried doing a search on this subject, but came up with very little. I'm a bit computer challenged, so if this subject has been beat to death already, my apologies.

Thanks,

Jeff

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Re: Borchardt Rifle Co. Actions
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 9:55pm

There have been a couple of articles about them, including one I wrote, in the ASSRA Journal.  The rifle, as made by Al Story, is nothing short of magnificent.  The one feature that was most disliked about the original was the trigger, and Al even got that to a good crisp (and reasonably light) pull.  BTW, it is made on state-of-the-art CNC machinery of top quality modern metals and is actually stronger than the original, and that was pretty impressive! 

A full house deluxe version was the first "Single Shot Classic" rifle with engraving by Hurst, stocking by Harrell, and metall work by Durren, with others providing finish, sights, etc.  It was a real treasure when it was completed.

Based on the ones I have seen and the one sample in /45-70 I shot for the test report, I would heartily endorse the newly made Borchardt.

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

akjeff
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:41pm

Thanks for the info Froggie. After shooting a friends '78, and then lucking into a '78 based varmint gun for myself; I'm hooked on Borchardts! Would like to build a pair of hunting rifles, and this modern copy looks like a great action to base them on. Tentatively planning to chamber them in 7X65R, and 9.3X74R. I have to decide on metal alloy. He offers 4140 and 8620. I really want to have the actions color cased, so 8620 would probably be the best choice.

Regards,

Jeff

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 11:02pm

Your two caliber choices are splendid indeed, I've been a fan of both since the '60s. And the Borchardt is one of the most suitable actions for a takedown or switch-barrel rifle. BTW the same extractor will also handle the 5.6x57R and the 405 WCF among a host of others. I most definitely do not recommend a rimless cartridge for the Borchardt, I've already done it & it's a pain to hafta pick out each case since the Borchardt extractor can seldom be made to fully extract/eject like a wall.

I wuz hopin', but it just wasn't in the cards.
Good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

akjeff
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 11:49pm

Thanks Joe. Hadn't thought of the takedown/switchbarrel aspect...hmmmm. No chance of me ever putting together a rimless single shot; there should be a law against that! Smiley
I'm fond of both of these catridges myself. I have a drilling with a 7X65R rifle barrel, and it's a great round. My friends Borchardt is a 9.3X74R, and it just seems to be a perfect fit for this rifle. A great cartridge that gets little play here in the US.

Thanks again,

Jeff

IP Logged

Tentman
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 3:26am

Hello Folks

May I be so rude as to enquire the approximate cost of such an action, and if you know, the weight ??

Cheers - Foster

(from down under where its Martinis or nothing !!)

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 7:32am

Forster,

You lucky blighter, living in Martini country!  FWIW, I'm not so sure you will want to know the price of the Borchardt action - you could probably build a good Martini target rifle for just the price of the finished action...

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Southwestern Ohio, Ohio, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 9:18am

akjeff;
Here is a link to the photos that I took of the ASSRA CLASSIC RIFLE, the first one, which was built on the Borchardt action:

http://www.pbase.com/dale53/classic_rifle

Click on the individual photos and you will see them life size.

WARNING: Repeated viewing can lead to addictive behavior Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

akjeff
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 9:53am

Dale,

Great photo's, thanks! My deposit should be arriving at BRC any day now!

Tentman,

The BRC actions sell in the $1500-$1700 neighborhood.

Jeff

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Southwestern Ohio, Ohio, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:28am

akjeff;
Thanks for the kind words.

Dale53

IP Logged

Tentman
Full Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 3:22am

NZ is Martini Country indeed, but I have several already, and a hankering to try other things, however it's unlikey to be in this lifetime at $1500 for a Borchart action !!!!

Cheers

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 8:33am

Tentman, this is just a not-so-quick note to let you know what's going on here in the custom action scene.  Most of the "Bigs" like Remington, Ruger, Winchester, etc. won't even talk to you about an action, even if they produce a rifle suitable for one of the single shot games.  ASSRA was just stymied in its attempts to have a Ruger #1 action produced as a special edition for its members.  Since Mr. Ruger himself and others of his more enlightened generation have passed on, the lawyers now seem to determine how guns should be produced and distributed.

Meanwhile, the offshore producers of single shot rifles must sell enough of a single design at enough of a profit to make it (again) unlikely that they will sell actions at a lower profit margin.

Even a lot of the smaller makers want to sell their product as a complete, finished rifle so that the fruits of their labor will be maximized...and the end product will be controlled for quality, etc.  Very few of the smaller makers are willing in their corporate plan to sell just an action, and these are limited production items that don't get the benefit in cost reduction that comes with mass production.

As a result of this situation, new actions, be they repros of originals like the Borchardt that is the subject of this thread, or new designs like the Miller or Hoch, tend to be, by the demands of the market, pricey.  The cost of suitable original actions is going up exponentially, it seems and some like the Borchardt were never that common so this also puts upward pressure on them.  Even the "common" actions like low-walls and #44 Stevens have shown marked increases.  All of the ready to use actions suitable for building a quality single shot seem to be pushing $1000 in price now with some twice that.

I guess what I am saying through all of this verbiage is that we had better get used to the idea of paying $1000, $1500 or $2000 for an action as a starting point for that fine custom rifle...although like you I am not likely to be buying very many (or even one) this week  Cry  but that's the situation here.  Maybe the NZ lottery (if you have one) is easier to win than the ones here in VA and you can solve the money problem that I can't seem to get past.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:21am

Froggie,

Don't forget that big, glaring exception -  for 1,000$ you would still be able to get about 3-4 complete and original large (or small) Martini actions.  And also - don't forget the situation of us abroad - when a 1,500,- action arrives here, you have to add shipping, duties, excise and VAT - by that time, the action will cost half as much again as the original purchase price.  that is called the "OUCH" factor.
And we're not even talking about the legal hassle of a) getting the thing out of the US and b) getting it in here...

IP Logged

akjeff
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 1:59pm

I guess it's all relative to your situation. For my purposes, which is to make a sporter/hunting rifle, firing modern smokeless in 7X65R and 9.3X74R, getting ten Martini's for $1500 wouldn't do me a bit of good. Besides that, what I want, is a Borchardt, so that's what I plan to do. I'd much rather do it with a modern reproduction, than to cut up an original gun. Different stroke for different folks! Smiley

Jeff

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 3:15pm

9.3 might be a bit too much for a vintage action, but they stood up to .303 british, so 7 x 65R might just work too...
Mind you, I also would like a Borchardt, but at a price of 2,000+ for the action alone, it just ain't going to happen till a good bit of money comes my way!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print