Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Parts Unknown front sight (Read 2114 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

Parts Unknown front sight
Nov 1st, 2007 at 8:33pm

I am thinking about upgrading the front sight to a Winchester style windguage aperture sight with spirit level, and sent several e-mails to Parts Unknown with no reply.  One of our members stated in a post that he bought one and sent it back stating something to the effect that he wasnt satisfied with the quality of the product. Has anyone else had any experience with their Winchester front sights or tried contacting them lately? I dont want to send the money if they are out of business or if there is reason to believe the sights are no good.  I have heard lots of good things about their tang sights but not much about their spirit level front sights. Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Re: Parts Unknown front sight
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 9:37pm

The experiences I have had with Parts Unknown have all been positive EXCEPT email. If I want to contact him, I call in the evenings during the week using the phone number in his ads and get him directly or leave a message which results in a call back within a day or so.  Any complaint I have heard about his product had to do with finish rather than function.  JMHO-YMMV!  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

ddeuce43
Junior Forum Member

Southern, Arizona, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:03am

Have three Parts Unknown Windgauge Front Sights, two on long range rifles right now.  Repeatability is good.  Workmanship is fair, finish is good.  Sight opening large, inserts very useable and easy to change.

Vernier sight tension set screw loosens under recoil, had to knurl brass screw head to get enough traction to tighten sufficiently for string of fire in creedmoor with 44-90.  Threaded adjustment screw too long, had to be shortened as it is easily bent and hangs up on everything while eating large holes in any gun case. 

Moveable vernier loose to point of distraction on all three.  One actually rattled.  Tried peening that one to tighten it up and it is hard to get tension even and still move the vernier without too much friction.  Best solution so far is flat waxed dental floss in the raceway.

Sight is calibrated for 100 minutes each direction, don't expect to actually get more than about 50 minutes each direction repeatable.

One sight came without one of the endcaps for the spirit level.  Unable to get one after 6 months which is why it is not mounted on a rifle today.  Parts unknown wants about $32.00 U.S. for one end cap.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:28am

Buffalo Arms, www.buffaloarms.com, carries the "Ukranian sights", which I believe to be the Parts Unknown sights.  If there was a problem with these sights, I'm sure that you would have no difficulty getting it resolved by the folks at B A. 

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:11am

I examined and mounted a PU windage front sight several years ago for a friend and formed a favorable opinion at that time. The sight was reasonably tight with repeatable adjustments and no lost motion in the threads. There was a slight looseness in the windage screw retainer plate but a little tightening/peening solved it. My only doubt was about the availability of inserts of the proper aperture size since I like 'em bigger than most.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but I've never actually used one on a heavy recoiler.
Good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print