Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Falling Block Works ?? (Read 4149 times)
trev
Full Forum Member

Falling Block Works ??
Nov 4th, 2007 at 7:49pm

A fellow on another forum has posted for sale a Falling Block Works 32-40, looking a lot more like a BPCR type of rifle, than a Scheutzen type.

I have seen few FBW actions, but I cannot say this looks familiar.

More to the point, it does look familiar, but it look s to me like a Clerke action.

What say?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/billybobo/huskyfbw004.jpg

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Re: Falling Block Works ??
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 7:52pm

think J model-----a fat HW.

IP Logged

mdeland
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 8:53pm

Yep, it looks just like my J action. I really like these Fisk actions ( Falling Block Works). They were made in five different models and are strong as they can be. They have a simple trigger that can be tuned as light as some set triggers. Mine is set at 13 ounces, has no discernible creep and has never been knocked of by impact. They use a coil/torsion spring around the hammer screw axil as is found in modern highwalls.  They have very fast lock times and no blasted tangs to deal with. I made a saddle type base mount for my long range Baldwin that fits on the very long wrist on these action behind the trigger.  This is much like the mounts on martini cadets for their aperture sight.  Fitting a stock to these is fairly easy and they sport a threw bolt.
  They are made of 4140 investment cast steel and are heat treated.
   These should make up into a fine Schutzen rifle with the addition of a helm type finger lever and an appropriate stock design. MD

IP Logged

mdeland
Full Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 8:54pm

Ooooops, I meant to say the saddle base mount fits behind the hammer not trigger. MD

IP Logged

trev
Full Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:13pm

OK, so it is my lack of contact that is at fault.

The fellow wants rather more than I can consider spending ($3295 CDN) , but if anyone is interested, I can drop him a PM through the site it is posted on.

The FBW that I was fairly sure I recalled, was a lot more looking like the Dakota Arms falling block, shorter and more compact than this one shown, so I was wondering.

Of course, I could be quite wrong altogether, a not uncommon occurance of late.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

3sixbits
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 2:50am

The FBW's action layed on top of a WINCHESTER Highwall is a perfect fit.

Westley Richards 1897

IP Logged

trev
Full Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 8:07am

Thanks for the input, guys.

Like I said, I have had limited contact with them, and the last one that I can recall seeing hands-on, was a far different looking action.

That said, it was presented as a FBW action, but may not have been.

It is one of few that I did not buy, that have bothered me since, as the seller wanted $650 for the rifle, scope mounts, dies, and a coffee can full of loaded 22K Hornet ammo to suit.

The action was very compact, with a lever that wrapped around the trigger guard, with a sliver sticking out to the rear, and it had an octaginal, very slim, barrel. It looked very similar to the Dakota single shot action of a short while ago, in layout, but quite smaller.

<shrug> Live-N-learn.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 11:17am

Seems like I recall that FBW made 4 different actions, from quite petite to quite robust sizes. Regards, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

R.Dupraz
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 1:11pm

J.D.:

Yup, Don't remember what model this one is but I have had one of the petite FBW actions barreled with a .218 B tube for quite a number of years. Think that there is also a cataloge around here some where. Wish at the time, that I would have sprung for at least one of their large ones now.

RD

IP Logged

irish66
Senior Forum Member

newbraunfels, Texas, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 7:09pm

guys i own two mod j this is a j. they also made a mod k small action and a  mod h that is larger. have seen both of them and would like to have them too.
my first centerfire is a 32-40, i built 12 years ago, and the second is a 30 schwartz.
cheers
irish

IP Logged

leadball
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 8:50pm

trev;
          The fellow in Northern Ohio still has a few Wickliffe actions left, they also make a nice rifle, from appearance [I own two] I'd say they might be the strongest single-shot action made. The orginal action did not have an upper tang, I understand he now has them available with tang.    leadball

IP Logged

trev
Full Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 9:42pm

On the subject of the FBW actions, would any of the gentlemen that have them smaller ones, be so kind as to post a picture, or point me at a link that leads to a picture?

There's an <ahem> "under-representation" of such online.

I am interested in seeing them, and I am sure I am not the only one about.

Thanks!

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 2:54am

greetings trev,

over 3 granf for a fbw seems awful steep. got a fbw set. don't think it's worth half that much..

of course tho, time does go by and things do go up.. Cry

the one thing i don't like about them is the mile and a half trigger fall. maybe it can be shortened up??

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

trev
Full Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 11:30pm

To be perfectly clear, I am not planning on making the gent an offer even, as it is not what I am looking for, even if it was affordable. Smiley

It does seem a bit dear, but then, a lot of things do, these days. Shocked

Initially, I was interested, as it did not look as I thought a FBW should, though I was corrected on that.

On the off chance that there was anyone interested, I would still make contact, on behalf of.

Do the smaller FBW actions follow the same lines as the larger?

If they look the same, I am left pondering just what was the action I thought was a FBW.

Cheers
  Trevor Jones

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print