Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Side Lever Rolling Block (Read 7754 times)
bpsteve
Junior Forum Member

Side Lever Rolling Block
Jan 29th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Does anyone have info or a drawing to modify a Rolling Block to a side lever similar to a Hepburn?
I have the lever and know that a new block pivot pin is necessary but I'd like to have some ideas on a method of attaching the block to the pivot pin.
Steve R
AZ.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Side Lever Rolling Block
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:22am
Print Post  
This patent shows an outside slider that catches the ear of the breach block. A screw could be installed on the inside but then the trigger guard would need to come off to remove the breach block

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

bpsteve
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:35am
Print Post  
John,
Thanks for the drawing.
It's interesting how it uses an inside arm to work the block in the normal manor.
Not what I'm looking for but interesting!
Steve R
AZ.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:51am
Print Post  
The arm is actually on the outside. It has a little sliding part (Marked F) that catches the ear of the breach block. According the printed material the slider can be moved down and the breach opened in the normal way.
You could cut a small keyway in the breach block and solder a key in place then cut a keyway in the pin to match. This way the pin could be removed without taking the trigger guard off.
I have seen pictures of side lever rollers but never understood any advantage. Some of the drawing that I have suggest that a lever could be used to cock the hammer and open the breach at the same time. Looking at the pictures does not make much since, the hammer would need to have a lot more travel to get it to work.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I'm doing a Spanish Rolling Block with an extended block pin with the right, outboard, end cut square and drilled and tapped for a screw.  The lever is cut for the square extension and held to the pin by a large headed screw, like the Sharps hammers are retained.  Internally, I used a 10-32 Allen screw drilled through the block into the new pin.  The pin is made of drill rod, not heat treated.  The ear was cut off to give a symmetrical appearance to the top of the action from the rear.  I positioned the lever so that it's top is just below the top level of the receiver at the hammer when closed.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

bpsteve
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 11:00am
Print Post  
David,
That was my intension but wondered about access to the set screw to allow the pin to be removed.
I've got a lever casting from Lone Star and will machine a new pin from drill rod then hone the receiver for pin rotation but was wondering if one set screw was sufficent and if so how to access it.
Do you have pictures of your modification?
Thanks for your input.
Steve R
AZ.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
I did one like this a few yrs ago but didn't retain many photos, the owner wanted it back before I was finished.

I used two long headless screws, really more like pins threaded on one end, to attach the block to the hinge pin. They were positioned such that, when the  hammer was rolled back, the pins were aligned with the vertical and were perpendicular to the bore line. This was so that if a future disaster occurred and the pin threads stripped or the pins broke, then it should be possible to drive out the damaged pins and salvage as many parts as possible without tearing everything up. Blind holes could greatly complicate any necessary repairs, so I bored them all the way through. I put ~ 3 full threads on the top of one pin and the bottom of the other one so that they wouldn't get swapped and possibly buggered up by some ham-fisted future owner, and then hardened them both. The pins were placed side-by-side in a symmetrical fashion, so they looked neat, with only the pin ends showing when the  hammer was fully cocked. The screwdriver slots were on the bottom and so of course the pins had to be removed that way also, really made for a neat and clean appearance when done. I used a single long pin going completely through the hammer and its pin, centrally located and again threaded in from the bottom.

Here's a view of the lever on the rifle, sorry no attachment details.
Good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
And another view showing my first and second efforts at fabbing sidelevers, I forgot which one I finally used but there's not a lotta difference. Please take careful note that this sidelever, unlike Lone Star's longer ones, will NOT break your trigger finger upon firing. Regards, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Another view, showing the roughed-out first-effort lever in place prior to welding. Joe

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Very nicely done!  Sorry, no photos, my digital camera's got a hitch in the getalong and I can't download to my computer!   Cry  I'm using a single screw from the inside bottom of the block, accessible when the triggerguard is off of the action, but since the project is not yet finished, I may alter it to your method, Joe!  With the modified Hepburn lever I'm using, I positioned it up a little bit higher than in your photo., otherwise it's the same concept. 

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

j sells

Life is too short to rush

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Like the previous post I put a key in the block. I put the block in mill vise with hole facing a 3/16 end mill. Cut a half moon slot thru the block on the edge of large pin hole. Cut and weld or solder a 3/16 pin in the slot you just cut. I make the pin a little short to leave room to weld on each end. With a new longer than normal block pin take a 3/16 ball mill and cut a slot the length of pin in relation to the previous installation in block. Line up slot with block in receiver and install like you normally would the unaltered pin.. With a square hole in your lever, position it where you want it with block closed on end of pin and mark pin. Machine the marked end to match the square hole in lever. I would machine it a little larger than hole and fit by filing to assure a tight fit. Drill and tap the center of the square in pin and install large screw to hold the lever in place. Like the hammer screw example in previous post. The newly made large pin then should be hardened after all machining, drilling and tapping is done. Lot of wind written here but doesn't take that long. JS

Jerry

IP Logged

bouldersmith
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 7:37am
Print Post  
I went with the square hole and a set screw. I drilled and tapped through the spindle and into the block. The lever is re shaped from a Frontier armory lever.
              Steve

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bpsteve
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Guys,
Thanks for all the great input on this subject along with pictures.
Now I have so many options I'm confused which one to use!!!
I questioned the use of threaded pins but that seems to be the most common method but I really like the large pin installed in the block with a matching groove in the new pivot pin.
I just ordered material for the new pin and will make a decision soon.
I'll follow up with pictures of the method I use.
Thanks for the help.
Steve R
AZ.

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Just one question. With the lever on the side what keeps the action from opening at full cock? It looks like the length of the levers added weight would cam itself open.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:13am
Print Post  
tbird1960 wrote on Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:08am:
Just one question. With the lever on the side what keeps the action from opening at full cock? It looks like the length of the levers added weight would cam itself open.

Most actions have a spring to keep them closed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint