Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
loads for the 25-20 SS (Read 4211 times)
dead_eye
Full Forum Member

Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA
loads for the 25-20 SS
Feb 17th, 2008 at 11:29pm

i am looking for copies of original reloading data for the 25-20 SS. Or a list of books that have it in them.
thanks for the help

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Re: loads for the 25-20 SS
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:12am

The well-known Breechloading Singleshot Rifle book by Roberts and Waters has a number of .25-20 SS loads in it, and of course there was a Gerald Kelver book on the Schuetzen game that had some loads.  Another possibility would be to go to the Cornell Publishing website and pick any of the early Ideal loading handbooks.  Unfortunately, many of the powders listed will be unavailable.  Undecided

Froggie

IP Logged

james a pickup
Senior Forum Member

richardson,tx, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 11:39am

Try to find a old copy of "Complete guide to Handloading" by Sharpe, has tons of old loads for old Stevens cartridges, he thinks the 25-20SS is better than the 25-20WCF. I was lucky to buy a copy in an old used bookshop(where it had sat for twenty years, i am sure), for the price of $12.00. Best bargin i ever bought,except for the 1907 civil war book that i paid .25 for before they threw it away.

IP Logged

bnice
Senior Forum Member

Iowa, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 12:48pm

I'm interested aswell. Only I would like to hear what people are using now not so much in the long past. What modern powders and bullet weights and designs? Also with what twist rates?

IP Logged

Bert_H.
Full Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 3:44pm

A friend of mine sent this to me a number of years ago. Maybe this will help some of you...

And just for fun, here is my 25-20 S.S. reloading set-up...

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 4:32pm

Bert,

That loading stuff looks WAAAY too shiny.  It needs some honest wear on it.  If you'll send it to me for a couple of years, I can use it with my original high-wall w/#3 round bbl and give it some nice wear so folks will know it's real!   Grin Grin Grin

Honestly, I was proud of my original set of 310 dies and a steel set of handles to go with my Perfection mould, but your set trumps mine and blows me right out the door.  Nice stuff, there.

Thanks for the great posting, and I'm going to figure out a way to print that loading chart and laminate it.  That's the most loads I've seen for the caliber in one place ever!

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

dead_eye
Full Forum Member

Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 4:52pm

Bert_H. you are my hero. Grin
thanks for the great information.

IP Logged

Bert_H.
Full Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:54pm

Thanks for the compliments fellows... I very much enjoy sharing the information (and pictures).

For anyone who would like a copy of the loading data I posted, please send me an email and I will attach a copy to my reply. Win1885@msn.com

I very much like the 25-20 S.S. cartridge, and I know for a fact that it is a more versatile cartridge than the 25-20 W.C.F. repeater.

I own a 1902 vintage Model 1885 (low-wall) in 25-20 S.S. that shoots real nice. A good friend of mine owns well more than a dozen 1885s in 25-20 S.S. (he is the person who sent me the old original load data). It is his favorite cartridge (though lately, he has taken a real shine to the R2 Lovell cartridge... go figure).

Bert

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

irish66
Senior Forum Member

newbraunfels, Texas, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 7:40am

bert,
i own a 25-20 wcf that was barreled by eldon montgomery. that is one he--- of a shooter. also know where there is another one that was rifled before mine by eldon that has shot consistant 249's at 200 mine has always shot very well. better than i can thats for certain.
irish

IP Logged

bnice
Senior Forum Member

Iowa, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:46pm

Thanks 1/4bore, I have a new RS 1-9.5 gain twist in 25-20ss that I hope to shoot 120 Grn David Moss bullets with. I need a good start point? #9, 4227, H110 and how much? Anyone in that ball park and getting good results?

IP Logged

bnice
Senior Forum Member

Iowa, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 1:18pm

Does anyone shoot heavy bullets in a 25-20 SS? I was hoping someone may have a good start point for this round.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 2:47pm

Historically, the .25-20 SS was designed to shoot light bullets (on the order of 65-70 gr) or so I've been told.  Original rifles are probably not up to the job of spinning up those longer bullets designed for the likes of the .25-35 and 250 Sav, etc.  JMHO, and of course if you are using a new barrel with faster twist, all bets are off when comparing to the earlier info.   Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

is0086s
Full Forum Member

Bob Ryan

Re: loads for the 25-20 SS - modern barrel/powder
Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 5:59pm

I shoot a low wall based 25-20 SS with a krieger barrel with a 1-10 (?) twist - faster than the originals anyway. I shoot a 107 grain bullet from a Barnett mould with 50/50 bees wax and vaseline lube (pan lubed) breech seated ahead of a mixed lot of remington and australian cases.  I too had a hard time getting a good load but was lucky to get input from a gentleman in Iowa on the CBA forum (reloading cookbook section - late 2006 or so). He advised 5.9 grains of AA 9 for my particular setup and it has shot well.  I have no idea what the muzzle velocity or pressure is but the cases go on and on despite having been shot many dozen times.

Bob Ryan

IP Logged

hoot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:16pm

Bert_H. Great pics. Needed that load info. Sending you a p m post haste. Thanks, hoot

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 11:41pm

bnice,
  I shoot a .25/20SS a lot, and I use a re-lined Stevens 44 1/2 with a 1-10" twist. I've also got a Win. Low Wall with the same twist.
I've got two bullets; one a 110 gr. NEI bullet that's had the GC shank removed. This is an original design with me that I had Walt make up for me many years ago. The other is a 100 gr. Lyman 25720 mould.
  The best smokeless load I've got for both guns is using the NEI bullet, breech seated, with 7.5 grs. of IMR 4227, Win. SR primers and a .060 LDPE wad in the mouth of the case. Average MV is about 1375 fps. This will average 5 shot groups at 100 yds. around 1" with quite a few down around 3/4".
  20.2 grs. of 3F Goex loaded as above will average just slightly larger (1 1/16" - 1 1/8"). MV is a shade under 1300 fps.
  So far I haven't gotten the Lyman bullet to do as well. Groups tend to run between 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" and not many below that.
  For me the .25/20SS is a real bear to get to perform well on a consistent basis. The above are averages, but on a good day both these guns will do a lot better. Wish I knew the "why" of it.

IP Logged

bnice
Senior Forum Member

Iowa, USA
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 7:53am

I was hoping the 120 gr. would help with the wind. I thought I recalled people using even heavier .25 cal. maybe not in the 25-20SS though.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 8:50am

bnice,
  With the original twist rate 75 gr. bullets was about tops, with a few guns being able to use 80 grainers.
  I'm not saying that 120 gr. bullets can't be used if you have a 1-10" twist. I just don't happen to have experience with that heavy a bullet.
  As for wind bucking ability design/BC/cross section also has a great deal to do with the ability. I base this on out shooting .40/65's in a 30 mph cross wind at 200 yds. at a match once. with the NEI bullet I mentioned in my last post. And no, I don't consider myself a superior bench shot. Several in our club are better.
  One thing to consider is case capacity. The .25SS case was designed for BP and as such going to 120 gr. bullets with BP you WILL run out of capacity to get enuf MV to stabilize. With smokeless you might be ok. I have this problem with a .38/55 with 1-18" twist and using 330 gr. bullets. At 100 yds. it shoots very well but at 200, even with smokeless, it starts tipping and accuracy goes to pot. If I use the original 255-270 gr. GG or PP bullets accuracy is fine at 200 yds.
  Case strength is another consideration. Even making them out of .223 military cases it's easy with smokeless powder, and the NEI bulle mentioned, to stretch the primer pockets. That's experience talking!  Smiley
  The big bugaboo with the .25SS is the commercial cases available today.  My friend and I ended up making our own since a 20% reject rate after 5 firings was a little steep at $1.50 a case. Some would split out in the body after one to three firings. Maybe things are better now tho. The one I made and use for breech seating has well over a 300 shots thru it with both black and smokeless.
  Basically I'd say that if you want to use the .25SS enjoy it for what it is. A nice pleasant shooting caliber that can be loaded down for Squirrels and up for target shooting on reasonably calm days. It's like shooting a .22 RF. If you have a 100 bullets with you more than likely you'll shoot them all up before you go home. If you want heavier bullets and more MV you'd be better off going to one of the bigger .25's.
  Another light caliber for which it's a lot easier to make cases for is the .25 Hornet. Strictly a smokeless proposition due to case capacity but with bullets in the 40 to 60 grs. range it's one dynamite small game and varmint caliber.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:19am

bnice
For your RKS barrel call Paul Jones. Tell him what you have and take his advice on bullet length/weight. You can't beat the RKS Jones combination.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print