Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stevens .32 Long Rim Fire-How to Convert? ? ? (Read 2621 times)
Harry_M_Pope
Ex Member

Stevens .32 Long Rim Fire-How to Convert? ? ?
Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:46pm

I am working with a Stevens Model 44 chambered in the original cartridge which is .32 Cal Long Rimfire.  The bore is excellent and it would be a very shootable rifle but for the fact that there is no new made ammunition available to the best of my knowledge.

If my information is correct concerning the ammunition availability (yes, there is a small amount of Navy Arms 32 R.F. around at much $ $ $), then the question becomes conversion to .22 Cal R.F. Long Rifle.  The liner would be a T.J.'s liner which is not a problem.  The problem to be solved is "how to best convert the existing .32 R.F. breech block so that the firing pin strikes the smaller diameter case rim of the .22 Cal cartridge.

The gunsmith I've talked with will line the barrel, but wants nothing to do with the firing pin situation.

Your input (experience) would be greatly appreciated as to how best to ulilize this really nice Stevens #44 as a target rifle?

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Re: Stevens .32 Long Rim Fire-How to Convert? ? ?
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:15pm

There were 3 different 32 long cartridges used, 32 long and 32 long rifle used about 13 grains of powder. The 32 extra long used around 20. If the bore is in good shape I would go with the 32 Colt or 32 S&W and just move the firing pin to center fire and run the proper chamber reamer in. The breach blocks are not hard so moving the firing pin can be done if you have the proper tools. I like to thread the old hole and make a threaded plug for it then loctite it in. Figuring where to put the new hole is the fun part. Going to center fire I make a short center punch that will slide in the chamber and use a cleaning rod to tap on it when the breach is closed. This put a mark on the breach face but because the firing pin on a 44 is at an angle the hole needs to be a little lower, maybe .015 to .020". You will need a good drill press and vice to hold the block for drilling. Line up the block in the vice so the drill will start where you want and come out on the other end where you want. Then you will need a piloted drill to come from the other end so there is room for the body of the firing pin. The reason most gunsmiths will not take on a job like this is there is a good chance to mess up a breach block which is hard to find a replacement for.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:35pm

I don't think the bore size would work with .32 S&W Long, as these generally are larger than the .32 S&W. Now the .32 Long Colt would work great, as it's the centerfire version ofthe .32 rimfire. Then you just need to get the dies from C&H4D, and mold for .32 Long from NEI, or others.
I believe the .32 S&W is designed for .312" bullets, while the .32 rimfire is for .317" bullets.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:24pm

Recently re-lined my 44 in .22 lr and converted it to .22 mag. The firing pin had to be moved .050 to hit the mag rim properly. Taylor Machine in Toledo Wa did the work and installed a TJ liner. Relocating the fireing pin and making and fitting a new firing pin was $50.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 3:13pm

slumlord44 wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:24pm:
Recently re-lined my 44 in .22 lr and converted it to .22 mag. The firing pin had to be moved .050 to hit the mag rim properly. Taylor Machine in Toledo Wa did the work and installed a TJ liner. Relocating the fireing pin and making and fitting a new firing pin was $50.

Normal charge is $75 for moving the firing pin, I was going easy on you.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:27pm

Thanks John. Every little bit helps. Just trying to drum up some business for you.
Harry-  FyI- Southern Ohio Gun currently has Navy Arms .32 Long Rimfire available for $24.95 plus shipping.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print