Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Converting Stevens Favorite to centerfire (Read 3852 times)
thop
Senior Forum Member

Converting Stevens Favorite to centerfire
Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:24pm

I've been dragging one of those ubiquitous Steves Favorite standard model 17s around with me for about 40 years.  It's in relatively nice shape and complete but the bore, like most Favorites of that era, looks like mud dobbers had hatched several broods of off spring in it.   It is chambered for .32 Long Rimfire, which must have been nearly as common as the .22 judging by the number of them on the market.  I've considered just having it relined but the availability of .32 rimfire ammo is iffy and quality apparently low when it can be found.  One of the things I had consdered was to reline to .32 and chamber for the .32 Long centerfire, which according to Cartridges of the World was intoduced in 1875 as a reloadable replacement for the .32 Long Rimfire.  I would expect the breach block could be bushed and redrilled for a centerfire  pin or maybe a new link fabricated to position the exising rimfire pin in the center of the chamber.  Have any of you Stevens enthusiasts seen this done?

THOP

IMG_2246a.jpg (27 KB | 117 )
IMG_2246a.jpg

thop

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Re: Converting Stevens Favorite to centerfire
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:39am

I don't think a Favorate action would be sutable for any centerfire cartridge. Of course you could chamber for something and load real light but down the road someone may put a full power load in the rifle with dramatic results.

Why not just reline it for 22 rimfire. Probably less expensive too.

Boats

IP Logged

stevens52
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:25am

Yes, the conversion you mention has been done successfully. It was somewhat easier when 32 Long Colt ammunition was available as the rechambering wasn't necessary. The firing pin conversion and subsequent chambering to 32 S&W are not particularly complicated and is quite safe.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 2:46pm

Thanks for the response guys.  I have considered doing a .22 reline but I assume I would then have to modify the extractor and move the firing pin anyway.  Having a .22 with a barrel marked .32 was also a consideration.  I had seen reference to shooting .32 S&W Long in #2 Ballards originally chambered for .32 Long on the Marlin Collectors Association Ballard forum, by I believe marlinguy93.  I suspect the cast Ballard action is probably way stronger that the diminutive Favorite action but the .32 Long rimfire is the same round whether it is in the Ballard or the Favorite.  So by association I would assume the .32 S&W Long, loaded to .32 Long Rimfire velocities would be comparable also.  I suppose finding someone with a chamber reamer for .32 S&W Long would also be a challenge.

THOP

THOP

thop

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:17pm

.32 S&W Long has actually less chamber pressure than .22 long rifle!  12,000 cup vs. 22,000 psi.  I know, apples and watermelons on the two different measuring methods, but the difference is enough that it is still a valid comparison...  Wink

That being said, the breech thrust of the .32 is going to be greater than the .22 will develop, so make sure that the action is in excellent mechanical shape.  I wouldn't rule out making a heavier/longer barrel lock screw for this conversion.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 8:58pm

I am sure what you want to do can be acomplished. You will need to make sure you reload to the extreme low end for the Favorite. Two concrns. Remark barrel to show correct cartridge. The other concern is that some future owner way down the road will put a round in it that is too hot. Just something to think about.

IP Logged

Ziggy
Full Forum Member

Cordell, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 10:47pm

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 12:58pm

Thanks Ziggy for the heads up on the reamer.  After rereading my post related to relocating the position of the firing ping I think I have to correct my assumptions.  I indicated above that I thought the ignition could be changed from rimfire to center fire by bushing the breach block and making a new firing pin or fabricating a new link to position the firing pin in the center of the cartridge.   I guess I had not considered the fact that the Favorite is not a true falling block, like the 44 1/2, and is actually a pivot block, like the 44.  Consequently, a new link wopuld have no impact on the firing pin location.  That's what I like about this forum, it makes you think  Wink  Thanks again for the info.

THOP

thop

IP Logged

stevens52
Full Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 2:46pm

You'll need a pin with a tip with an eccentric tip. Close the old hole off by one of several methods and reposition a new hole for the eccentric tip. Only the hole for the tip of the pin needs to be changed. Of course the extractor will have to be altered.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 3:35pm

Thanks st52.  I think if I fit a new firing pin the approach Frank deHaas describes in Single Shot Rifles and Actions for bushing Ballard breach faces would be a good one.  He basically described dovetailing the breach face and fitting an insert, followed by positioning a new whole at the correct angle and size.

thop

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print