Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BSA Martini trigger adjustments (Read 3118 times)
digitall423
Oldtimer

Calhoun, TN, Tennessee, USA
BSA Martini trigger adjustments
May 10th, 2008 at 6:57pm

Can someone clue me in on the aftermarket trigger adjustments modification done to BSA .22 actions? A diagram or sketch or even someone who does this mod. would be appreciated.

Bill

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Re: BSA Martini trigger adjustments
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2008 at 8:40pm

If you want to simply adjust the trigger pull, the usual way is to reduce the sear engagement and the trigger spring tension; the at-rest height of the breechblock can also be adjusted at the same time, which is an important consideration with Martinis used in the field as opposed to the shooting bench.

OTOH if you want to make the trigger pull adjustable then IMO good luck. All the systems I've seen so far have been obtrusive and unattractive, and I don't recommend them. Some of the systems work fine, they're just ugly.
Hope you find a better one, good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2008 at 7:29am

Hi Joe. Do you mean to imply that you can actually do something to a Martini to make it MORE ugly? I still would like to know how to adjust the trigger pull with screws rather than a side grinder or something similar. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2008 at 1:44pm

There are some action mods that were done by 'smiths in the UK - there were even kits, apparently.  I have one of those, and it has adjustments for sear engagement, overtravel and - well, something else...
However, this requires a new trigger (with an extension direction trigger return spring, which was replaced by a petite coil spring acting on the trigger extension) and some serious mods to the trigger plate:  all adjustments are from the bottom through allen screws.  You'd have to be pretty dedicated to go there, it is kinda like rebuilding the complete system.  On the upside, it is almost completely invisible.
Also, a nicely adjusted 12/15 (or whatever) can have a nice, crisp trigger of less than 2 pounds.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2008 at 2:52pm

Bill, the most unobtrusive design I've seen was one apparently similar or identical to the one described by Gert (MB). It worked quite well but also had two great big honkin' holes in the trigger guard for the adjusting wrenches. Functionally fine but aesthetically unsat for a really fine rifle, at least IMO.

The usual Martini Cadet design is one of the best and easiest to adjust to a really crisp single stage pull, even for the occasional craftsman, because the entire works are visible when the subassembly is out. I'd hate to think that I had to fab & install an externally-adjustable system when, as Gert points out, the original design is so good.

Martinis aren't always ugly although some certainly are. For some views of some really, really nice Cadets, please see the pics posted by Gert on another thread. The big honkin' ribs are somewhat detracting and distracting but the rest of the rifles' features are quite beautiful IMO.

This board has called Martinis "..as ugly as a Studebaker!" and sometimes that may be true, but nevertheless I'm slowly building 2 for myself. Now working on a practicable (read: easily fabbed & installed!) manual safety design but it's slow going...
Good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2008 at 3:44pm

Hi Joe,

We had a long discussion some time ago on this forum related to manual safeties for a martini.  Are you working on one for a cadet size action or a full size action?  Is yours going to be a trigger block or striker block safety?  I'd really be interested in how your design is progressing since I have wanted to design a safety into my MK1 for a long time.

v/r

Terry

thop

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2008 at 3:57pm

One of the things I do on the small Cadet sized actions, including the rimfires, is to lighten the trigger spring to where it is really almost unsafe, then drill and tap  the trigger plate for an adjusting screw about halfway along the springs length.  A small Allen screw coming up from the bottom is almost invisible, you can adjust the spring tension to where you want it and either stake or Loctite the screw.  If someone wants this done, just PM me, I would only need the complete triggerguard assembly.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2008 at 4:42pm

I appreciate all the input. Ive got a really nice 12/15 whose trigger has beem worked over by Harlow Parkenfarker. It is much too hard and creepy. This is compaired to a couple of mod. 12's and three cadet actions. I made a light spring from a piece of spring wire that didn't help much.

David, pm me with a cost estimate to rework this trigger.

My son is shooting in the 230's with an occasional 240 something with this rifle and the stock irons at 100 yards. I'm getting a Mod. 12 to which someone fitted a very heavy barrel ready for us to try. I just got through mounting scope blocks.

Again thanks for all the replies. By the way, I must not think Martinis are too ugly, I've got eight rifles and actions including the Zeller Martini action. Oops actually eight. I forgot about thr big ugly enfield .303.

Bill

IP Logged

Ziggy
Full Forum Member

Cordell, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2008 at 5:05pm

I have two 12/15's a 17 mach2 and a 218 bee that I did like David mentioned. Works great

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2008 at 6:05pm

digitall423, PM sent.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2008 at 8:43pm

Terry, I've been contemplating a trigger-block safety, either rotating or push-button. Probably rotating, since I was extremely favorably impressed with the ergonomics of the safety on my Field's Patent sidelever large Martini. BTW I was wrong about the need for an extra piece in the trigger mechanism to incorporate a safety, I think it'll work just fine without it. The safety will reside completely within the subassembly, unlike a few cross-bolt Cadet safeties I've seen. If I could figure an easy way to do a striker safety then that would be preferable but....
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2008 at 9:29pm

Joe,

Sounds interesting.  Hope you'll share a picture or two when you get it working.  I am still considering trying the half cock safety approach that I advocated awhile back but I need to find another cocking arm as donor to weld up and recut a half cock notch in.  Actually I probably need a half dozen of them on hand when I start Embarrassed  I would work on the trigger too but I think it has one of the crispist triggers of all my single shots just as it is.  Good luck Joe.

Terry

thop

IP Logged

MI-shooter
Forum Mod

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2008 at 9:21am

Joe
I saw a manual safety on a BSA martini that was nothing more than a slot in the triggerguard behing the trigger with a spring loaded sliding bar that has a fixed stud that bore against the back side of the trigger. You pushed it down and the stud moved away from under the tip of the trigger allowing it to be pulled. The curved spring was only used to keep the saftey in place where set. It was very petite and was not in the way.

Ed

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 16th, 2008 at 9:38pm

Ed,

Is this the trgger safety you were referring to?  It was in an article by Hal Hartley in the NRA gunsmithing guide in te '70s.

THOP

Hal_Hartley2a.JPG (20 KB | 118 )
Hal_Hartley2a.JPG

thop

IP Logged

Warkshop
Full Forum Member

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2008 at 12:54am

If one is going to add a safety to a Martini that blocks the trigger it might be worth looking at the trigger block safety on the Browning Double Automatic shotgun and working out someting similar.  If done well, it would look a lot classier than the Hartley version, if one must add a safety at all.

Bill

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print