Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Redfield 3200 scope worth? (Read 5774 times)
moodyholler
Full Forum Member

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Redfield 3200 scope worth?
Aug 17th, 2008 at 11:04pm

With crosshairs and 24X and rings? Anyone know what they are bringing these days? I may tradeinto one. Thanks, moodyholler

moodyholler moodyholler  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Re: Redfield 3200 scope worth?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:18am

MH, they seem to be on the next tier down (price-wise) from the likes of Unertls and Lyman STSs, but both collectible and shootable nonetheless.  I think a NIB example is bringing about $500-$600 on the open market, maybe a bit more.  FWIW, the fellow that won the rimfire King Match at the June CSV Match brought one for me to experiment with for a possible article.  It is a pretty nice scope and not too awful large even with its big objective bell.  It compared favorably with my Unertl BV-20 for brightness and focus.

Froggie

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
ASSRA Board Member

LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO SHOOT
AN UGLY RIFLE

Warsaw         LIFE MEMBER #14, Indiana, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:57am

I used a Redfield 3200 in 20X for years. I was never impressed by the clarity. I would never trade a Unertl or Lyman to get one.

Founder of the Quarter Bore Corps
ASSRA- founded to promote fellowship among those interested in the use, study, and preservation of single shot rifles devel. betwn the end of the Civil War and WW I
Quarter_Bore Quarter_Bore  
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:18am

What Quarter_Bore said, in fact I wouldn't trade a Unertl for any number of Redfields unless I planned to sell them & buy another Unertl or Lyman.
Good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:39pm

I have both a 3200 24x and 6400 Redfield 24x. Both are good scopes. Don't think I would use the 3200 on anything larger than a 22rf. cross hairs been out of it once.  redfield did a complete rebuild of it when they were around. Don't know who will now. I only owned one Unertl When the objective lense came loose in a br. match I did not want another. Any one look through the older Tascos?
Tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:57pm

I have a couple of the older externally adjustable Tasco scopes from the early 1960's...other than the weight, and the slightly coarser crosshairs, they are great.  They're the copies of the Bausch & Lomb Balvar, but with a Unertl type of externally adjustable ring.  Actually the crosshairs are pretty good when the light's not up to par, as I can still see them when my Unertl and Super Targetspot crosshairs have faded into oblivion...

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:58pm

I have a tasco that has been on my Rem 350 mod 600 that is still intact since early 60s. David where do your external adj scopes  mount? barrel or receiver? do they move on recoil? any chance u can post a pic somewhere?
Thanks
Tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 5:08pm

I've had problems trying to get any of the online photo services to work with my Cowputer and our mom & pop phone/ISP company.  PM me with your email address and I'll be glad to send some.  These are barrel mounted scopes, using the Unertl type bases and base spacing.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print