Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reloading advise for .219 Zipper (Read 1364 times)
Tom

Reloading advise for .219 Zipper
Aug 25th, 2008 at 2:41pm

Anyone have any advise regarding this caliber?  I'm an experienced reloader (since 1975), but have only formed cases like .25-06 from .30-06, where there was no need for a special die(s).  Last week, I put a deposit on a beautiful High Wall chambered in .219 Zipper.    This will probably be the only High Wall I will ever own unless I win a lottery.   I have all the usual stuff like presses and scales, neck turner, etc.  Redding has dies.  I want to load this caliber at a solid velocity that won't endanger the rifle or me.  Tell me what you think about bullet weight, powders, forming, etc.

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Re: Reloading advise for .219 Zipper
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 3:21pm

send the rifle to me today.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 4:00pm

25-35 brass, when available, makes splendid Zipper cases. Also 5.6x53R, a European version of the 22 High Power, is another source of cases albeit a trifle dear sometimes. Forming them from 30-30s can be problem-plagued unless you first anneal the necks, and I suggest an intermediate forming die such as for the 25-35. I like Zippers and 4895 powder.
Good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

tim_s
Senior Forum Member

13066, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 8:59am

I shoot a Zipper and like Mr. Steele primarily use the 25-35 brass although I actually have a decent supply of origional Winchester brass as well. With the -06 brass I do not know a bout case capacity. That said the 4895 shoots very well in my C.C Meridith high wall. I use 28.5 grains with Sierra 55gr btsp.bullets with no excess pressure. Shoots to about 3300fps and 5/8"-3/4" wich is just fine for the old girl. Usual caveats apply to working up a load in your gun.

IP Logged

uscra112
Senior Forum Member

SE Ohio Hill Country, Ohio, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:56am

I have a curious old Krag, rebarrelled about 1942 for the .219 Zipper.  (Yes, I'll keep the pressures down!).   Nice job, as far as it went.  Not finished, so it's never been fired, as far as I can determine.

I bought some .219 Z brass from Huntington's.  No need to hack up other brass.   BTW I did try reforming some .30-30 - that worked the brass too much, it got very brittle in the shoulder area.

Somewhere I have some old loading manuals that give some loads for this cartridge.   Because I haven't gotten around to finishing it, I'm not shooting it (yet), so haven't worked up any of my own.

IP Logged

irish66
Senior Forum Member

newbraunfels, Texas, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:51am

i have built owned and shot a siamese mauser in 219 ackley  for about 10 years, and have used a number of powders. started with h335 and a 52 gr sierra, tried 4895 and now am using varget, and rl15 with good results.
i used 25-35 brass and it holds up well but i only neck size far enough to hold the bullet.
my current load is ww 25-35 brass
27 grs vargt
sierra 52 gr bthp
fed210
you wiill enjoy this cart.
irish

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print