Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Charles Daly Little Sharps in 38-55 (Read 10523 times)
gunner69
Junior Forum Member

Charles Daly Little Sharps in 38-55
Oct 11th, 2008 at 11:48am

Ordered a Little Sharps, in 38-55 Win, yesterday.  Anyone have experience with one?

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Oldtimer

Re: Charles Daly Little Sharps in 38-55
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 5:04pm

GUNNER
WHERE DID U ORDERE IT? WHAT CALIBERS ARE AVAILABLE? id like one with an unchambered 30 cal 10 twist barrel would make a great 30/30 wesson. I still have my reamer.were these rifles at one time offered unfinished? It would make a great kit gun.is IAB the mfg.? I would also like a spare 357 maximum barrel.
Tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 5:52pm

There's the Dakota Little Sharps, http://tinyurl.com/4tmq4g.  Also the original Little Sharps, http://www.littlesharps.com/, who also carry the Charles Daly Little Sharps,   http://www.charlesdaly.com/cowboylg.asp.  Cornfusing, isn't it?   Roll Eyes  It might almost be money ahead to go with the original and have them barrel to your specs rather than go with the Italian version and rebarrel.  Several years ago I was able to handle and examine a couple of the Little Sharps Mfg. Co. actions, and was very well impressed.  Wonder if that's where Dakota is getting their raw actions?  Well, perhaps not money ahead, looking at their website and pricing again... Wink

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

gunner69
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 8:01pm

Screwloose...   The Charles daily is available in calibers from .22rf, .22 Hornet, .45LC, 38-55 Win, and the 30-30 Win.  I shopped and found Impact Guns with the best price.. $899.99!!!   Cool

The only thing I didn't like, after reading two reviews, is the rear site DOES NOT adjust for windage.  You have to adjust the FRONT site to correct windage.  But, there must be someone that offers an adjustable (windage AND elivation) site for it.  Suggestions anyone??? Angry

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 11:51pm

Tar Baby has a Daley in .38-55 and speaks quite highly of it!

IP Logged

gunner69
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 12:12am

Hope he reads this post, maybe he know who offers an adjustable rear site.  Both articles gave it an "A+" in both quality and accuracy.  

I will use it for deer hunting and informal target shooting. Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 2:56pm

Tar baby has his scoped.

IP Logged

gunner69
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 5:11pm

Does Tar baby have the Leatherwood "Malcom" scope?  I bought some Barnes Originals in 255gr as my hunting load.  Probably try H-335 or 4895 as my smokeless load.  Might try Pyrodex "R" too.

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 9:30pm

mt email went some where--the ls is  a nice  rifje and well made, wish the had a single trigger. not much room there. 22 hornet shot under an inch,

DSCF1651_001.jpg (159 KB | 209 )
DSCF1651_001.jpg

IP Logged

gunner69
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:19pm

Is that a 1" or 30mm scope?  What base did you use to mount the scope.  That actually doesn't look bad on a "classic" rifle.  Impact called today saying they received my order.  Hope Midway gets off their ass and hurrys with the reloading goodies.  Thank for the info.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:32pm

It probably looks even better with that JD green hat in the background! Wink

IP Logged

leadball
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 1:08pm

The Little Sharps seems to be available only with a 24" barrel from Impact Guns. If the rifles are well made thats a very good price.  leadball

IP Logged

gunner69
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 8:23pm

Leadball,  The one I received yesterday sports a 26" barrel.  It is sleek and lighweight.  I have loaded some 255 grain Barnes bullets with both H-322 smokeless and Pyrodex Select RS loads to shoot in the next couple days.  Have 2F Black powder on order.  Did have to drill out the peep hole to match my Pedersoli 45-70 sights.  Just too damn small for these old eyes. Embarrassed

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 10:23pm

Tar Baby's scope is a El Paso Tx Weaver "T" and one of the best scopes ever made for the target range.

Boats

IP Logged

gunner69
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 2:06am

Re-reading posts.   Just for info I shot a nice buck with my Sharps and the Barnes bullet.  Dropped where he stood, not a step.  I am impressed with the 38-55, so is my brother-in-law who lost his deer shooting a .308.  His response "Hell there is blood and I placed the shot well.......  how come that old smoke pole caliber of yours dropped him dead?" Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print