Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
12/15 martini 22 cal. (Read 2794 times)
art_ruggiero
Full Forum Member

12/15 martini 22 cal.
Mar 27th, 2009 at 9:46am

how good are the 12/15 martinis? are they good shooters?  thanks artr

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Re: 12/15 martini 22 cal.
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 9:55am

I've had some that were tack drivers, and others whose barrels were tomato stakes.  You're looking mostly at club guns, many of which were not taken care of at the end of their service lives, so it can be a gamble.  I wouldn't plan on lining a bad one, though, as most I've worked with had a barrel that's harder than a tax collector's heart!  In this case, it would be much easier on your gunsmith to rebarrel.   Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Oldtimer

Nightingale, California, California, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 1:00pm

Parker Hale was somehow able to reline them, and the ones with "Parkerrifled" or "AGParker" on the end of the barrel will often shoot amazingly well. A friend has one that he brings to the matches occasionally and he always does well with it, also Paul Shuttleworth offers a offhand blank for the 12/15.

Bob

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 1:20pm

Bob, I'm not saying it's impossible to do...I've done it...but the steel that BSA used was quite hard/tough and it's just not an easy or fun job to drill out the bore for the liner.  I've got some ideas in mind for different tooling that I'll have to play with if I ever need to do another one!   Lips Sealed

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

57thahc
Full Forum Member

Hillsdale Mi., Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 11:08am

My two cents: you asked how good 12-15 Martinis? Mine is very good ,I have been very pleased with how forgiving it is,it shoots better then me.I got a good deal-price-pickup-better shape then seller claimed,all round good gun deal!Sold me on Martinis,now have Eleven,12-15,Cadets,Greeners,Endfields even a 12Ga. Now some folks say they are UGLY,each to his own,I will look to other SS brands because I like SS, I know other fine guns are everywhere in ASSRA. Smiley

Turned in my M60 for a Martini!

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Cut Bank, Montana, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 12:26pm

I know David has reported this hard barrel comment before.  I had for a long time never encountered a hard 12/15 barrel.  Then I had to line a shot out Model 12 that had a Parkerrifled liner.  The liner was larger than I had seen before and was very hard.  It was a real task to drill that old liner. Grantednot a 12/15.  But still hard like David described.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 10:49pm

Mine shoots well. They are different but interesting. Like my Stevens beter but it is more of a personal and asthetics thing.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 9:32am

Beauty is in the eye...but they can be re-stocked or the original wood reworked to a pretty nice package.  I've done both.  Since I'm still pretty computer illiterate  Roll Eyes, and haven't figured out getting my photos up to where I can post them,  pm me for some photos of both. 

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Full Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 11:12am

thanks guys for the feed back   art ruggiero

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

County Durham, Great Britain
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 1:44pm

Art,

Be aware that a great many Martini 12/15's were stocked with Beech wood stained to make it look darker. Beech is a very stable hardwood used mainly for furniture manufacture in the U/K these days.

I admit the 12/15 looks better stocked in Walnut.

Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print