Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winchester A5 Scope Markings (Read 1296 times)
Nero
Senior Forum Member

Arkles Bay, New Zealand
Winchester A5 Scope Markings
Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:13pm

The photo is of the rear mount of my Winchester A5 Scope which was on a Rigby 350 Magnum Mauser flat bridge action which which was made in 1912 and which I bought around thirty five years ago.
Got it shooting with cases made from 375 H&H but as I didn't use it much and it was just sitting in the safe I sold the rifle approx. ten years ago and put the scope on a Greener Martini take down 22rf.
As the age of both the rifle and the scope were about the same I had always assumed the scope was put on the rifle when made or later on in the twenties.
Reading an article on the A5 in the 2007 Gun Digest I now know that a lot of these scopes were sold to the US Navy.
I had noticed the arrow mark on the mount when I first bought it and had wondered if it was a British Government mark. The arrow also appears on the top at the rear of the scope tube.
I had never really looked or taken much notice of the marks at the rear of the mounts, just thought they were Winchester marks but in the light of the Gun Digest article the anchor above the letters and the 9 got me thinking was it a US Navy mark along with the arrow marking?
Anybody throw any light on this.
Regards.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:23pm by Nero »  

A5_mount.jpg (46 KB | 137 )
A5_mount.jpg

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Senior Forum Member

Re: Winchester A5 Scope Markings
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:54pm

Well I could be wrong (won't be the first time) but sure looks like a british broad arrow mark. Just cannot make out the markings on the left side before the patent date, but they look british to me also. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Nero
Senior Forum Member

Arkles Bay, New Zealand
Re: Winchester A5 Scope Markings
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 2:58am

Thats an Anchor over F 9 over an E and the rifle and scope were bought in the UK.
For some reason the camera has caught the letters better than you can see them with the naked eye.
I had always thought the anchor was a crown even under a magnifying glass.
Regards.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2009 at 3:06am by Nero »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print