Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Renewing Nickel Plate on Stevens Tip Up (Read 1277 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Renewing Nickel Plate on Stevens Tip Up
Jul 22nd, 2009 at 1:23am

I recently bought an early Stevens Tip Up rifle in .25 Stevens Rimfire. The bore is very good and the action is tight. Stock was broken by UPS in shipment but that is another long story. Previous owner had taken a wire buffing wheel to the major part of the action in a bad attempt to clean up pitting on the nickel plating. Part buffed badly and parts untouched. Bought it cheap to begin with. There was discussion in a recent post on a Stevens pistol with Nickel plating problems and the owner mentioned polishing with a dremel tool. Decided I did not have much to lose since it had already been botched. Used dremmel tool with the small polishing pads. Started with some old Bell System metal polish left over from my time with the phone company. Went to Flitz and finaly to Mothers Mag Wheel Polish. Spent a few hours and had to remove a few parts but the reciever, triger guard and butplate came out looking very nice. This is not something I would have done if the original  finish had not been tampered with. Now if I can figure out how to repair the broken stock......Actualy looking for a pro that repairs broken stocks.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Re: Renewing Nickel Plate on Stevens Tip Up
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 7:35am

I'm sure I have heard before, SL44, but where are you?  Bernie Harrell in SW Ohio has done some beautiful stock repair work (as well as some original stocking such as one of the ASSRA Single Shot Classic Rifles.)  To top it off, he has a special place in his heart for Stevens (I tell him it's a soft spot in his head, but no accounting for taste!  Grin )

I don't have contact info for him anymore, but you could probably find it in an old copy of SSR-Journal or perhaps you could PM Dale53 on this board who is a shooting and collecting buddy of his as well as living relatively close by.  Smiley

HTH ~ Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 7:17pm

I've seen a few nickel plated guns that had worn off and the bare receivers were polished out instead of replated. If done correctly I find the polished look far superior to most replated jobs. The replates just don't have the right tone to the color, so the polished receivers always look better to me.
I've done this to a couple steel swiss buttplates, rather than have them plated, and they too looked better to me.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 7:56pm

I am in Southern Illinois, 25 miles east of St. Louis Mo. This one turned out so well I am considering bidding on another on auction that is in .32 RF. and somone only buffed part of it. I spent a few hours on this one but the results acutally do look "right". I have seen replated guns and this looks good without looking new.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print