Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re-Forming Brass to the 32-40 WCF Case (Read 8143 times)
creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Re-Forming Brass to the 32-40 WCF Case
Jul 30th, 2009 at 10:42am

I've attempted to locate factory formed 32-40 WCF brass cases, which as recently as Fall 2008, was a stocked item with many, if not most, reloading supply houses.

Anyone know of a current source of 32-40 WCF brass?  As an alternative, which alternative factory formed brass cases will reform into the 32-40 configuration ?  I seem to have heard that the .32 Win Special is the best donor cartridge, although I know the 30-30 Win will also suffice, but wind up a bit short in length.

I am also looking for a source for a single 32-40 Full Length Sizing die.  All the big name brand dies makers want to sell their two die sets.  Because I'm breech seating, I only full length size one time when the brass is new and don't need the seating dies from a two die set.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Re: Re-Forming Brass to the 32-40 WCF Case
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 10:48am

Midway lists both RCBS and Redding single sizing dies, though you can buy the Lee two die set for less than either single die!

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
ASSRA Board Member

LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO SHOOT
AN UGLY RIFLE

Warsaw         LIFE MEMBER #14, Indiana, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 12:35pm

I would use Winchester 38-55's to reform to .32-40's. They start short but will grow when reduced. If they don't grow enough to suit, you can always use Starline full length .38-55's. They will need to be trimmed a little when you are done sizing. If you are breechseating a little bit of shortness won't hurt. Smiley

Founder of the Quarter Bore Corps
ASSRA- founded to promote fellowship among those interested in the use, study, and preservation of single shot rifles devel. betwn the end of the Civil War and WW I
Quarter_Bore Quarter_Bore  
IP Logged

blindeye
Junior Forum Member

Ohio, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 2:15pm

For what it's worth. My new WW 38-55's freshly squeezed in a Lee full length 32-40 die average 2.135". After fire forming in my chamber average 2.128". This lot of new brass starts at 2.080".

ASSRA, OGCA, TSGC life, NRA life

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:15pm

I've used .32 Win Spl cases for years. They work great, and seem to be easy to find at most gun shows.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 12:19am

Just for grins & giggles, I hunted up a Winchester 38-55 case and ran it (properly lubed) into a Redding 32-40 die, in about 1/4 stroke increments, rotating the case about 1/4 turn each stroke.  Took very little effort, I probably could have done it in one pass, and I had a case that matched my 32-40 "official" brass within about .010".

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:52am

Good question as with reloading supplies, powder and brass as well as primers being in short supply always have a plan "b". Could not find anyone who had 32-40 cases in stock. Called starling and enquired about their standard length 2.080 38-55 cases. Was told that these were still available. But that they had a limited supply. So I quickly put in my order for 250 38-55 cases @99.49. No one else that I checkes had either 32-40 or even 375 winchester in stock. Some firms still show supplys of 30-30 cases but no 32 special. My next step will to get a redding 3 die set and locate the rcbs form and trim die. And spend some time prepping some cases. I still have some origional C-I-L canadian 32-40 cases and about 60 RP and REM-UMC cases with which to start. Midway wants about !25.00 for the saeco 32 cal 200gr flatpoint mold from redding.I believe you can get the same mold from grafs for 99.00 some savings. These are special molds and have to be prepaid. Looking better for suplies?. Methinks that these companies are now actually carrying less items in stock as its less money tied up in the warehouse. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 6:36am

Hey thanks guys for your input !  Especially Mr. 38-Cal for explaining just how simple the reforming process actually is.

I better get busy today scouting out some donor cases in order to avert the possibility of one day looking at my supply of brass cases and realizing I'm short on 32-40.

I wonder if Winchester will ever again make a run of new manuf. 32-40 WCF ? ?  ?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 3:27pm

My guess is that they will make another run as soon as the demand gets great enough for one of the major distributors to put in another order and space becomes available on the proper manufacturing line.  My further guess would be that we are simply waiting for the latter to occur and the first is already here.

JMHO,
Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:59pm

I was told by a friend that Win. is planning a run of .32-40 brass this fall. Not sure when we would see them after that?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 2:22pm

FWIW, nobody told me it was supposed to be hard to size .38-55s down to .32-40, so I just took a RCBS FL die and started doing it with light case lube in just two passes.   Roll Eyes  I guess I was just like the bumblebee that's too dumb to know he can't fly, but it was the easiest case modification I've ever tried.  I'd still rather have the purpose built cases when they come out, though!

Froggie

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 8:57am

Froggie--- I , too, would rather go with the factory brass with the correct head stamp for 32-40.

My concern was that W-W had made their last run of the schuetzen caliber last year when I got in on that buy.  I was just anticipating a short fall on 32-40's as mine wear out, even though I have them "fire form" for the CPA chamber, and never run them through a die.  Who knows, they may last 10-15 years.

Are you O.K. on 32-40 W-W brass ?  If not, please drop me a P.M.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 3:58pm

Thanks for thinking of me Creedmoormatch, but since I just use a single case for most matches, it will take a loong time for me to use up the cases I currently own.  Like you, I will probably set aside a stash of an extra 100 or so if the opportunity arises this Fall, but I should have plenty for my current needs.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 2:48pm

No one mentioned using 30-30 brass to form their 32-40's. I shoot fixed ammo and had to use 30-30 brass for awhile until I found some new 32-40 brass to load. They came out a little short but still worked fine in my Stevens 44 1/2 and my Rolling block rifles giving me some good groups around 1 inch.

IP Logged

utahsmith

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 7:17pm

I attempted resizing a couple of 38-55 as well as a couple of 30-30 cases to 32-40 i[b]n a lee die. Relubed several times and made several small steps. Was not able to resize full length. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print