Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winchester 1885 BPCR 45-70 (Read 3360 times)
Richard
Junior Forum Member

Winchester 1885 BPCR 45-70
Sep 5th, 2009 at 11:08pm

Winchester had these at the 2009 shotshow. Does anyone know if they were sold out?

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged

Ned

Re: Winchester 1885 BPCR 45-70
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 10:38am

Richard:

Galleryofguns.com shows some in stock listed as "Davidson's Exclusives"; not sure if these are exactly what you are looking for.

Ned

IP Logged

Ned

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 10:44am

Richard:

I made a mistake. Just went to the Winchester site and saw the BPCR model you referred to and that was not one of the choices on the galleryofguns site.

I'm sorry.

(If you DO manage to locate a source could you post here?)

Ned

IP Logged

sureshot
Full Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 11:17am

I pretty sure TexasMac usually has those for sale, or can get them.
He'll be along here shortly I'm sure.

Steve

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Texas, Texas, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 12:43pm

Steve,
You're thinking of the .45-90 and .50-90 versions.  Although the .45-70 version was introduced at the Jan '09 Shot Show, Winchester has yet to supply limited series BPCRs in .45-70.  Following is the most current status:

1. Just like the previous Winchester BPCRs and Creedmoor BPCRs, the rifle will be manufactured in limited runs of 125 rifles per year if the demand continues.
2. The 1st batch of 125 will be sold without sights, but will be setup with a female dovetail to accept a front sight and drilled and tapped to accept a rear tang sight, just like the current limited series .45-90 and 50-90 rifles.  Future runs may come with sights manufactured by AMT.
3. Although it does not state when the rifle will be available for sale, the factory original plans were to have the 1st 125 rifles ready for distribution in 3Q09.  Since 3Q is almost over, the projected date is now sometime in October.
4. Davidson's had exclusive distribution rights to the prior limited series rifles, which will not be the case for the .45-70 rifles.  They will be available to all the Browning/Winchester distributors and direct dealers, including Davidson's.  Neither Winchester nor Browning (same company) sell direct to the final customer.
5. As soon as they are available at the distributors, as an FFL holder, I plan to order rifles for resale.
6. These will be identical to the original Browning .45-70 BPCRs with the exception of Winchester's name stamped on the barrel and tang.

By the way, I have three Browning .45-70's for sale that I'm about to list on GunBroker and GunsAmerica.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:05pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

Jubilado
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:43pm

Will the new run have Badger barrels, or made by Miroku?

Just checked.  The on-line catalog says 30" Badger.

Paul

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:31pm

Paul,

Per Winchester, as you found on Winchester's web site, the rifled barrel blanks came from Badger.

As a side note, I have not confirmed with owner or previous owner Ernie Stallman, but I understand Badger Barrels has been sold and the assumption by some is that most or all of their near-term and possibly long-term production will be directed to military contracts.  Like I said, I have not confirmed the sales and future plans, but if true, Badger barrels may no longer be available for BPCRs, although Browning/Winchester may have stocked up.  I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 9:40pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 7:11pm

After reading what I just posted about Badger Barrels, I thought it best to get an update directly from Ernie Stallman.  Refer to the new thread I started titled: Status of Badger BPCR barrel production (http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1253834447).

Wayne
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 9:41pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print