Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic George Schoyen Rifle: Question (Read 4512 times)
Dale

George Schoyen Rifle: Question
Sep 14th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
There's a dealer with a George Schoyen built rifle for sale. I understand from research that he was a very highly respected barrel maker.
Question: How common are his rifles in todays market and, what prices have these rifles fetched in past sales and/or at auction? The rifle is a 32/40 Winchester high wall in excellent condition with accessories. The asking price for this rifle is $9000.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

IP Logged

torpedoman
Junior Forum Member

Re: George Schoyen Rifle: Question
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
no( or greatly reduced) collectors value to Winchester collectors they don't like altered guns.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Schoyen was a highly respected builder during the "Golden Age of Single  Shots" and a complete set of accessories with the rifle (including bullet mould, seater, powder measure, etc) will add to the value, but I think that $9000 may be a little optimistic.  JMHO, and worth what you paid for it.

Froggie

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Dale,
Schoyens aren't too hard to find.  A couple sold this weekend at Rock Island Auction.  One, a High Wall in 38-55 with some tools but no mould, sold for 5500 (+15% commission).  Condition is listed as "Fine", but as Rock Island is wont to do, they don't discuss bore condition.

They also sold a Stevens Model 52 44 1/2, with a Schoyen muzzle loading barrel.  A nice looking engraved gun with "match grade bore", it sold for 6500 (+15%).

On the other hand, at Amoskeag Auction last year, two Schoyens (one high wall, one Ballard) formerly belonging to famed shooter C W Rowland sold for 30,000 (+15%) each.

Things you might want to check...
Does the rifling have an odd number of grooves?  If the number is even, it's possible that the barrel was rebored or relined after Schoyen.
Is it set up for a false muzzle?  If so, is the false muzzle present?  If it is set up for a false muzzle which is now absent, that is a minus.  

What tools are present?
If there is a mold, are there brass inserts forming the mould cavity?  If yes, it is probably an original Schoyen mould.
Is a Schoyen duplex powder measure present?  I don't think I can describe how one looks, but if present, it is worth a lot (I've seen them sell for upwards of $2000).

Anybody else have anything to add, or corrections to make?

Doug

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:51am
Print Post  
All Schoyen barreled rifles are not built by Geo. C. Schoyen. So although all Schoyen barreled rifles are in high demand, only those actually built complete in his shop will bring the really high dollars.
I disagree with torpedoman that modified Winchesters with Schoyen barrels have reduced, or "no colllector value", as Hi Walls with Schoyen barrels, built in his shop have garnered huge prices in past auctions. This is a credit to the workmanship of Schoyen's shop, and the reputation of accuracy that Schoyen rifles had in the late 1800's.
I've seen Schoyen barrels that were not even attached to guns go in the $2,000 range, if in very good shape, and unaltered. As Froggie said, if the gun has all the shooting accessories, then the price will surely be even higher.
If the gun you are looking at is a Win. with a Schoyen barrel, then it's way too high, but if it's a Schoyen built gun, and in excellent condition the price may be well within reason.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint