Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
H&R m12 (Read 3845 times)
tommyauger
Full Forum Member

Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
H&R m12
Sep 15th, 2009 at 1:58pm

Looking for information on H&R m12 singleshot
I have read that they are a military version of the model 5200 singleshot. I have also read many people talking about them but I have never seen when they were made. Can anyone give me production dates of the H&R m12 22lr... Also were they all marked US property???Thank you  Tommy Auger

tommyauger

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Re: H&R m12
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 3:23pm

Tommy, this is a question best suited for rimfirecentral.com, but yes, they are a GI version of the 5200, I believe made in the late 1980's.  As far as I know, they would all be US marked.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

830singleshot
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 6:23pm

Tommy,
The mod. 12 was H&R's answer to a Win. 52D.  The ones I have seen shot like a champ.  A few years ago you could get them from the CMP for $265 with Redfield Palma sights!  The wood is bulky and UGLY piece of birch stained a walnut color.
Scott

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Southwestern Ohio, Ohio, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 8:17pm

The Model 12 H&R came about because Winchester refused to build new Model 52's for the Armed Forces. The Model 12, as previously mentioned, was the military version of the 5200. The stock was made to specs and is a bit, shall we say, less than glorious, but there is enough wood there for it to stand a bit customizing. After the stock is reshaped a bit, then sanded, stained, and finished a quite respectable match rifle emerges.

These rifles are WAY-Y-Y under rated. My experience is that they will shoot right along with Anschutz, Winchester, etc. I have both the Model 12 and the Model 5200 (as well as a Suhl, several Anschutz', and several BSA Martini Internationals).

I am a smallbore match rifle fan (if you haven't guessed), and pretty much like them all. Where it counts (accuracy) the Model 12 does what it is supposed to.

Dale53

IP Logged

bnice
Senior Forum Member

Iowa, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 11:09am

Dale yes it is a 52 look alike, but it wasn't that winchester would not make them. It was a competitive contract against a preformance Spec. Same reason Kimber had it for awhile. I don't recall if winchester even competed for the contract. But could check if anyone cares.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Southwestern Ohio, Ohio, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:52am

It was my understanding at the time that Winchester would not submit a bid, period.

I know for a fact that a well known smallbore distributor learned that they still had the specs for Western Super Match .22 rimfire. He offered to place an order for 1,000,000 rounds and they turned him down. It didn't even get to the talking stage - they were not interested.

When a company is not interested in making their own rifles, we have seen what happens to them.

Dale53

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Oldtimer

Eureka, CA, California, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 1:39pm

I don't know all the facts of the case, but my research a few years ago turned up pretty much what Dale53 says...

Winchester had the contract to supply "replacements" for .22 training rifles without competitive bid. 
The Army wanted to order more Win 52D/E models to replace rifles that were worn out.
Winchester said "no.. not interested... at all."... Gave up the contract.

Then the Army was forced to open it up for bid.
H&R "cloned" the Win 52 with their M5200, and so the H&R M12 was born.

I competed in Smallbore prone with my H&R M12 for two years, and the thing could SHOOT!  The stock wasn't worth  a damn... basically a 4x4 with some used motor oil slopped on it for a finish.

With a muzzle recrown, some stock work, and some "cleaning up" of the trigger surfaces by someone who knows which end of a stone to use, the M12 can be quite a good rifle.

(I have heard that story about Winchester turning down flat an order for Super Match .22 LR ammo also... look where it got Winchester: bankrupt!).

Paul F.

IP Logged

tommyauger
Full Forum Member

Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:31pm

I would first like to thank Dale 53 and Paul F for their knowledge.  I purchased a H&R 12 a couple of weeks back but havent gotten it to the range. The stock is bigger than one would think but it came with theRedfield international sights front and rear. Was the rail under the forarm area used for a palm rest or what. Also can you tell me when was the h&r 12 built what years.  Thank you Tommy Auger

tommyauger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print