Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
through bolt drilling (Read 4124 times)
vze2r4vx
Junior Forum Member

through bolt drilling
Sep 23rd, 2009 at 2:32pm

i read a note awhile back on drilling buttstock through bolt holes .some one said a lath could be used .can anybody tell me how they use the lath to do it ?

jerry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Re: through bolt drilling
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 4:04pm

Mark the blank/stock where you want the hole at both ends. Center punch or drill a 1/4 " hole at the marks. Mount your drill bit in the lathe chuck.  Depending on which end you decide to drill from ( I drill from the action end)  Place the butt end mark on the dead center. Holding the stock with you left hand feed the wood onto the drill bit. If all is lined up correctly and you have a sharp drill the drill and dead center will meet when you have drilled all the way through. Then turn the stock around and with a larger drill bit drill to the depth you need for the through bolt. I use a spiral wood drill. Do a test hole on a piece of wood before you do your stock/ blank first.
A spade bit can be used to flatten out the end of the big hole to accept a  washer. Always use a washer.   Wink

The same method can be used to drill the tang screw. I use surgical tubing to hold the buttstock very tight against the action while drilling.

One other thing. DONT EVER, use a cap head socket screw ( Allen head screw) for a through bolt.  If you do and your stock comes loose at a match and you dont have an Allen wrench your screwed. Most anyone will have a screwdriver instead.

Hope that helps.    

Joe.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2009 at 4:12pm by westerner »  

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 5:51pm

Ditto, but do the drilling before the stock blank is shaped in case the drill wanders a bit.  If the drill comes out the side of the stock, you can scrap it before you put too much work in it...or patch & fix it if it's an erotic piece of tree...and try it again.  I like to use a Forstner bit on an extension rather than a twist bit, but that's a relatively minor detail.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

vze2r4vx
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:39am

thanks a lot for your help guys .

jerry

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Cut Bank, Montana, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 8:52am

Over on the Cannon Forum the gents from SeaCoast Artillery described the process of using gundrills to drill straight deep holes in wood and steel.  The are drilling some small deep holes in white oak.  In fact they say gundrills is the secret to drilling those long ram rod channels in the old long military fore stocks.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 9:21am

Never thought of a gundrill for wood.  Huh  I happen to have some so I'll give it a try. On some scrap first.

Joe.   Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

Dave
Senior Forum Member

Livermore California, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 9:26am

I use a drill press for tang screws and I align the wood by clamping a 2x4 scrap with a hole drilled in it that holds a punch plumb.  I make sure the center of the drill bit hits the center of the punch.  After centerpunching both sides of the work I simply set the work on the punch and then drill from the other side.  This method could also be used for a stock bolt with some adaptation.

Dave

IP Logged

vze2r4vx
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:57pm

hi guys ,
just want to let you know i tryed that method on a miniature 1/2 scale buttstock and it worked just perfect .

thanks again

jerry

IP Logged

troll2739

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 2:44pm

I recently drilled the through bolt hole for a Ballard.  Made a 3/8" drill using 3/8' 1144 (stressproof).  Holding the bar in a horizontal position, set Y axis on vertical mill at +.030 off center, Z axis on center and milled 4 2" long axial flutes on one end of the rod.  Sharpened with file,hardened, and resharpened with diamond hone.  By using late center in tailstock and drill bit in headstock the results were probably within .010 of desired location. The tail of the drill acts as a bearing surface because it's the same size as the drill.  I tried using a 3/8" gun drill first with less than satisfactory results.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 5:40pm

2nd the advice given,  I do a lot of long hole drilling for several lathe jobs.  Starting with the blank square and laying out the stock after the hole is drilled is the key tip.

Lathe has (or should have) both the head stock and tailstock true so the drill will track true and you can reverse the blank and take the hole from both ends meeting in the middle.  One pass on a gunstock is a deep hole.  You need a table to keep the blank lined up between centers. I use two Banjo's with small homemade drilling tables stuck in. Move them up and down in the tool rest holder leveling with a level on the blanks flat side.   One would do if that's all you have.

Good tip is to drill the buttplate end first with a Fostner bit getting a nice round large hole to accommodate the bolts head, then going the rest of the way bolt size. Or some people like to drill the hole a bit large leaving the bolt free floating. And others bed the bolt with bedding compound just like a rifle barrel.  I prefer free floating.  Don't worry about the length of bolt. Better to make up a bolt to fit the hole than try to get the length just right when drilling. Get the proper head then cut to length and thread with a die or in the lathe.

On the bit cheap way is to get a bellhangers bitt at Home Dept. 12-18 inches

You can do it in a drill press too if care is taken in set up.  When my lathes capacity between centers is not enough will chuck up a small copper tube in the drill press & run a plum bob's string though it aligned on a wood base set on the Press table. Screw tip sticking up from the wood aligns with the chuck so it's aligned as good as a lathe. This method you can get at the job from both ends too. In that case instead of a screw bore a hole in the wood for morse taper and align the job on a lathes removable center.  Bullnose center will align the work even when it's been drilled. No reason the same thing could not be done with a drill bit, one of the taper sheet metal drills.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Texas, Texas, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 1:05am

Seeing this discussed on another forum, I thought I'd resurrect this old thread and add a link to a YouTube video on the technique, which was noted in the thread on the other forum.  A similar approach should work for drilling tang bolt holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJt_o6e-TQ

Wayne
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2013 at 1:12am by texasmac »  

IP Logged

shovel80
Senior Forum Member

Sonora,CA, California, USA
Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 9:13am

Thanks for sharing that video Wayne,,,The visual is what helps me understand the text sometimes.

Terry Smiley

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 10:32am

It's a good video, few things, more than one way to skin a cat

Best to run a string outside of the stock from the center punched marks either end. Use it to make sure the hole is not going to be too close around the pistol grip. Little off on the butt end will make a big difference small around the wrist.  Hole location under the  butt plate is not critical better to be sure,  might want to move it a little, sting will tell.

Even though he is getting a good straight hole from his home made gun drill I would still go at the job from both ends. ¾ from the action end ¼ from the butt end.   Butt end I like a large diameter Frosner bit to give good clearance for the bolt head and washer,  Not too deep just a 4 or 5 inches.  Don’t forget to drill large enough to accommodate whatever size wrench or screwdriver you are going to use to tighten the bolt. Small hole is the advantage of using a Hex bolt.  Not sure I would use a boring bar to open up the butt end  hole but seems to work for him.

I guess that was a rough stock but kills me to see someone klutz inserting the bit couple times and knocking & dropping the stock on the lathe bed. Nice work wrap the stock in some tape avoid dings.

You can do the whole job on a drill press if the chuck is indexed properly with a flat  board & index pin on the presses table.  Use a plumb bob to set up. Only thing about the drill press is short quill you do have to go from both ends.  Most of the time I drill the butt end Frosner bit in the press, long deep hole on the lathe. I might make up one of those gun drills see if it does better than my Bell hangers bit’s

Boats

IP Logged

JSB30
Full Forum Member

Missouri, Missouri, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 10:47am

My setup

IP Logged

JSB30
Full Forum Member

Missouri, Missouri, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 10:53am

My setup for counterboring a Martini Cadet stock. I actuall pull the counterbore iinto the stock. It is a piece of drill rod with a cutting bit in it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print