Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Martini Cadet Project (Read 9132 times)
thop
Senior Forum Member

Re: Martini Cadet Project
Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Magnet.  Now that's neat idea.  When I built my large frame Martini into a 45-70 using  a pistol grip stock from Fajens, I shortened and reformed the lever to the contour of the pistol grip.  It of course did away with any conventional lever retaining approach and after careful consideration I concluded I didn't need one.  When the action is cocked there is more than ample tension provided by the firing pin spring to keep the action closed and with your trigger hand in place the lever is kept securely in place.  With the chamber empty the distance between the cocking piece tip and contact area of the striker firing pin is very small and results in only 1/8" droop of the lever when not cocked on my rifle.  Of course this is on Peabody Martini and Cadet actions may vary some.  Years ago I built Cadet into a .218B, again using a pistol grip stock.  On that rifle I cut the lever off and grafted a lever from a 94 Winchester on it, similar to that a #47 Stevens.  It had a simlar droop without a lever latch.  Terry H.

thop

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Cut Bank, Montana, USA
Re: Lever latch
Reply #16 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 10:17pm

Fred Boulton wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 3:53pm:
Double D: None of my BSAs (4b, 6 and 12) have the spring loaded lever latch--they latch by the lever itself springing into the latch plate on the butt. I had a 297-23 Cadet rifle with the barrel marked: "Made by the Birmingham Small Arms Co" but with every part of the receiver stamped "Francotte". This had the butt plate with the spring retainer. I actually have a plate with the spring retainer in my parts bin, but this came from a scrapped Greener with a none-Francotte type action. My own Greener Miniature Club rifle does not have the spring latch. Confusion reigns.
Fred.

Fred,

Yes I did get a bit wordy didn't I. But just to argue...those that don't have a lever latch spring and only a latch use the lever as a spring. The point is not to have a lever latch spring, but to have a latch of some sort with or without a separate latch spring...but you know that didn't you and you just wanted be sure I did also. I do.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Werndl

Mountains of Virginia, Virginia, USA
Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 7:05pm

38_Cal wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 5:02pm:
If you build a pistol grip stock, you can always inlet a small magnet in the lever groove to serve as a lever latch.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

I have plenty of neodimium (rare earth) magnets if needed.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Nero
Senior Forum Member

Arkles Bay, New Zealand
Reply #18 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 10:58pm

Instead of a Cadet go for the later 1215 as its got a bit more meat on it around the barrel shank area and to stop it being a bit  slab sided you can machine the action as the photo.
My 7mm Waters is no trouble to shoot with regards to recoil even with  heavy bullets like 150 grainers and they go around the bend and chamber ok.
Twenty inch skinny barrel, iron sights and no scope for close up heavy bush shooting and its a joy to carry.

IP Logged

ziplocjoe
Full Forum Member

Washington, Illinois, USA
Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 12:54am

Nero, when your action is open does the breech block stop slightly above the bottom of the bore or lower? Do you have to hold down the lever to chamber a round? Also , how did you convert from rimfire to centerfire? Nice machining job. I like the looks of that receiver.

IP Logged

Nero
Senior Forum Member

Arkles Bay, New Zealand
Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:03am

I'm no gunsmith and I just polished it by hand. Yes the block does stop just above the bore and the block was bushed but I forget how it was done.
If you are worried about carrying a rifle around with a round up the spout and no safety, you can carry this one with the round fully home and the block down and the round will not fall out, or half insert the round and the bloke will hold it there. Regards.

CIMG2424.jpg (70 KB | 194 )
CIMG2424.jpg

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Cut Bank, Montana, USA
Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 12:12pm

The block should cover the lower edge of the cartridge when the lever is open and relaxed, The lever needs to be pulled down to fully expose the chamber and load/extract the round. When released the lever should spring up.

Here are the instructions.

The position A the instructions refer to, is the thin flat section that goes across the front of the lever between the horns and is under the tumbler.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Full Forum Member

Silver City NM, New Mexico, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 10:27pm

Nero:

A very nice looking configuration on the receiver of the Martini. I have the tang welded on and completely shaped for my tang sight and may mount one of my Unertl small game scopes on it at some time if the eyes get any worse. The barrel arrived last week from Douglas and the NECG banded front sight is in the parts box with a nice Lyman #1. Dave Kiff is grinding a minimum dimension 25-35 reamer so I am getting close to having everything at hand to start assembling the project. All I need now is to get a few of the paying clients jobs out the door and set a little time aside to work on getting the metal work completed. Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

SSS

IP Logged

Nero
Senior Forum Member

Arkles Bay, New Zealand
Reply #23 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 7:02pm

Hi SSS.
as soon as I get my Cadet with a new 26 inch barrel in 222 back from the gunsmith (like me he's getting on a bit and can't be rushed and after all he's only had it for nine months.) it was in 222R and accuracy was falling off, it was second hand when I got it twenty years ago. Anyway as soon as I get my Cadet back, like you a 25-35 is the next rifle. Be good to compare notes next year if I get it by then.
I think If you know a good gunsmith you have to keep them employed and get your dreams done before they decide to retire and make things for themselves which they never had time to do whilst working for other people.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print