Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moulds scope mounts for Rugers #1 (Read 6246 times)
Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Pleasant Valley, New York, USA
Moulds scope mounts for Rugers #1
Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:12pm

Is anybody using Moulds scope mounts for the Ruger single shots? Are they straight/inline, or do they require messing with to get them inline? they look like that cats whiskers to get a scope mounted back far enough. I currently am using Rugers extension rings for my target scope and still have to "crawl the stock" for the proper eye relief.
The second question is where can I get a set. Brownells has had them back ordered for a while. Undecided

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Full Forum Member

Cortland, New York, USA
Re: Moulds scope mounts for Rugers #1
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:56am

I have a set that came on a rifle I bought with the medium profile barrel (1B). As far as I know, these are made to fit the different Ruger barrel profiles for the factory Number Ones; i.e. "light (1A, AB, RSI), medium (1B, S), varmint (1V) and heavy? (1H).
That said, mine are now on a custom barreled 222 and seem to be straight and work fine.
Don't know where you could get them other than Brownells or direct from Moulds.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 10:29pm

I spoke with Frank Zika/Moulds this evening, and he mentioned that he has a stack of Ruger bases in process, so hopefully it won't be too long before you can get a set.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 3:29pm

INTERESTING, Last week I received an Email from Brownells cancelling my order and a few days later another saying that the mount was now in stock! Anyway mine is on the way and if anybody is interested they are now in stock. Part # is 578-000-011 if any one wants to look. Dealer cost is $83.96 list is about $20 more. This mount really moves the scope rearward so it is usable. Ruger extension rings were not enough.

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2010 at 7:58pm

Let me speak to the issue with regards to the Ruger #1 Varmint configuration only, which is somewhat of an exception to the other variations from Ruger #1 with their top 1/4 rib design.

The No.1-V (for Varmint) has a scope mounting configuration consisting of two blocks which are barrel mounted with 2 screws per block and the front block taller than the rear, and the center to center distance at 7.25" between the two.  The blocks are proprietary to Ruger, so that will not accept a Lyman or Unertle scope.

However, (again speaking to the Varmint rifle only) one need only purchase a set of Lyman blocks from Mr. Steve Earle, don't forget to get the front block a bit taller (you need to measure the barrel O.D. divide by 2, etc etc you know how it's done) and they will be a direct fit to your Ruger #1V replacing the O.E.M. set up at a cost of < $25.00.

With the long 3/4 inch tube on the Lyman external adjusting scope, there will be no "crawling the stock" and you will fit right in on the firing line with the ASSRA scheme of things.

Try to resist the temptation to call up Brownell's for Weaver style mountings, when one of our faithful advertisers, Steve Earle can fix you right up at a fair price.   Wink  Of course, who among us would want to appear at a shoot with a modern internally adjustment scope anyway ?

My twenty-five cents for what it's worth.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:09pm

CMM, I'll speak up for the guy...Frank Zika, Moulds, Ltd., is also an ASSRA advertiser as well as a member, competitor and parts donor to the last raffle rifle.  Most of his sales on these bases are through Brownells, but he will sell direct, especially on those items the B company has dropped that are still of interest to us.  His number is (708) 354-7434.  There's a finite number of good externally adjustable scopes out there, and the prices on them don't seem to be dropping, so a couple of my single shot rifles do have modern scopes on them. 

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:43pm

Well, I don't have a Varmint model. and I have Unertls on my Lo wall, my Hi walls and my rebarreled (octagon) #3 Ruger.
I'm afraid I don't consider the #1 an antique (even though it is in 38-55) or even old looking, and I just happen to have a loose 24X Leupold laying around, so as much as I agree with you about the looks of an externaly adjustable scope on a single shot rifle, it ain't happening on this one!

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #7 - May 6th, 2010 at 8:31am

Thanks much David for the additional info on the Moulds company and their rep/owner/manager.  It's appreciated. 

It's simply the fact that I want to maintain loyalties towards those folks that I know support the ASSRA with their Journal advertisements and who also sell quality products.

Steve Earle happens to be just one, for example.  As a side note, I have a Mould manuf. Speed hammer in my Ruger #1 which came out of big "B", but didn't know them to be ASSRA types.

Live and learn,

Respectfully,

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #8 - May 6th, 2010 at 10:07am

CMM,

Frank Zika (Moulds) is a top flight machinist and has been in the single shot game forever, it seems.  Steve Earle is a young lion in the game and is also blessed with more talent and skill than any mortal should have.  Anything you get from either of them will assuredly be as good as it gets, and if they tell you it will work for a prescribed application you can take that to the bank!  And, as 38 cal said, both have  been most generous in supporting the doings of ASSRA, and are good guys to boot.  No financial connection with either, but a fair amount of dealings... all positive!  Smiley

Froggie

IP Logged

rafter3c
Senior Forum Member

Buckhorn, New Mexico, USA
Reply #9 - May 6th, 2010 at 11:12am

Froggie
  Must agree with you 100%. I have his products and know first hand his ability.  Borchardt Rifle Corp.  Ken

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #10 - May 6th, 2010 at 1:20pm

Hey Green Amphibian :

Thanks much for your response !  I know this is a busy time of year for Frogs out on the Lilly pond, so I'm surprised and grateful to hear from you.  Catching mosquitoes and "putting them up" in mason jars for the Winter is labor intensive, so thanks for your time.   Wink

I have never had personal dealings with Mr. Zika, but now consider him a friend of ASSRA.

Steve Earle is a very responsible person who I hold in high regard and have great appreciation for his work.

Don't forget to put sun screen on if you go back out on the pond.  Grin

Webb

IP Logged

Dogmann
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 7:24am

Are these mounts still being made?

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 7:37am

PM sent.

recommend that you contact Steve Earle directly with your needs.  His ad & contact info is in the Journal
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2013 at 7:50am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print