Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Three Dimensional Scanner (Read 1724 times)
Schutzenbob
Oldtimer

Nightingale, California, California, USA
Three Dimensional Scanner
Apr 5th, 2010 at 7:41pm

Mike Mazza asked me to post this URL for him, this is REALLY COOL;

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/498ebd00a62edaa0/47fe70d4555df05a/9e46...

Bob

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Westside, Washington, USA
Re: Three Dimensional Scanner
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 1:18am

Schutzenbob,

Intriguing video.

Don't know if anyone on this forum works with GIS, but the TIN (all those triangles) created by the scanner reminds me of creating elevation contours and 3D terrain models from satellite imagery.

Not that I could afford it, but I'd like to see them skip the plastic and tie the scanner more directly to a CNC machining center to start cutting metal.

Thanks for posting the link.

BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 1:59am

BP wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 1:18am:
Schutzenbob,

Intriguing video.

Don't know if anyone on this forum works with GIS, but the TIN (all those triangles) created by the scanner reminds me of creating elevation contours and 3D terrain models from satellite imagery.

Not that I could afford it, but I'd like to see them skip the plastic and tie the scanner more directly to a CNC machining center to start cutting metal.

Thanks for posting the link.

BP

You probably could go right to metal, but if you need to massage the part to account for wear, it's easier to see and adjust on a plastic part than steel.  Very cool technology!   Cool

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Westside, Washington, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 3:15am

David,

Good call. Without some editing software, it would duplicate every ding, dent and flaw as well. Good to know that no matter how "smart" the machines are getting, we still need to be part of the system. So much for getting some extra trigger time.  Smiley

BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 6:05am

I'm pleased (and excited) to say that I have been involved in just such a project for a single shot rifle!  Several of us needed to have reproductions of an old, unavailable small Swiss butt plate for a specific rifle, so we borrowed one, then one of our group got it scanned, I took it to a college lab with one of those 3-D printers and had plastic models made, and it is now on its way to having the models used to generate wax casting moulds to give us our parts in brass.  A second line of production may involve sand casting, but of course parts made that way will involve more finish work.  Since no one of us had access to all of the components of the system, it's taking a little longer than it would for Jay with unlimited cubic money, but the idea is the same!

Froggie

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Rural Oakwood, OH, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 6:54am

Frog,

Be sure to figure in the material shrinkage when making the mould for your part.

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

bnice
Senior Forum Member

Iowa, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 7:06am

Where I work we have several of these stereo Lithography printers. And a 3d scanner. One printer does the part in a powder and this can be used as the mould for non ferrious part castings. They were working on a ferrious version but I don't know the status of that. These are great for prototyping.

IP Logged

uscra112
Oldtimer

SE Ohio Hill Country, Ohio, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 7:55am

I spent the last 15 years working for the Zeiss division that makes coordinate measuring machines.  (Google "Zeiss IMT")  We sold hundreds of machines that do this process  by physical contact probing, the main purpose being to verify the accuracy of parts during manufacturing. But occasionally our customers bought them for "reverse engineering".  Aftermarket auto parts makers ate this up on toast.  We didn't do this optical image scanning, however.  The 3D-image scanning process in the video does work, but is not very accurate.  Zeiss' machines are accurate down to millionths of an inch.  The software creates a 3D computer model that is compared directly to a CAD model, or can become the CAD model from which a part can be machined.  Zeiss also has an X-ray tomography machine (a CAT scanner on steroids) that works with the CMM software so you can actually scan and measure features that are internal to the part, such as the shape of the water passages inside a cylinder head or block. 

Any shop which has a Zeiss CMM with the scanning probe head can scan a part for you.  I had our applications guys scan a number of things for me, including fired cases to get an accurate model of a chamber, and action parts that I wanted to reproduce.  I'm retired now, but I miss the fun of seeing what the next wild and crazy application was going to be. (My last big project was the carbon-fiber wing and fuselage skins of the F-35 strike fighter!) 

"When life hands you lemons, sell them and buy beer"

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 11:00am

Every good gunsmith shop needs one of these. As soon as the price comes down to where I can get one I will. It will probably be about 50 years after I'm dead.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print