Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Wall Castings from Boulder River Foundry (Read 502 times)
sakoman
Full Forum Member

Phoenix, AZ, USA
High Wall Castings from Boulder River Foundry
Jun 20th, 2010 at 12:24pm

Just got a set of High Wall Castings from Boulder River and I was wondering if anyone else had gone down this road before and might want to offer suggestions?

What is the best source for drawings?

I will use the Mann-Neider FP of course and color case the finished parts.

Thanks,

Al

sakoman sakoman  
IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

County Durham, Great Britain
Re: High Wall Castings from Boulder River Foundry
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 3:20am

Sakoman,

The ASSRA Archive have a full set of engineering drawings for the Winchester 1885 Hi-wall in A4 format for just 10 bucks inc. postage. You will need to enlarge them at your local photocopy shop which will cost a few dollars more. Contact:-

Rudi Prusok,
625 Pine St., Marquette MI 49855
Phone             (906) 225-1828
E-mail             Archives@assra.com

Alternatively you can buy a full size set from Buffalo Arms for $140.00 (ouch).

I have several of the ASSRA sets and they are very good quality. Rudi is very quick off the mark in supplying items.

Harry

IP Logged

J. pickup
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 11:06am

how much did they cost? I've built lots of steam engines from castings so i know some of the problems you will run into.Draft, for instance, you'll find all surfaces are tapered, to get it out of the mold.So the first thing to do is to file one edge square and start from there.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Full Forum Member

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 1:00pm

What is the contact info and cost of these castings? Thanks, moodyholler

moodyholler moodyholler  
IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 3:51pm

A picture of the castings can be seen here. Contact Lucinder at Shiloh Sharps for prices.

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1265661083/27#27

Harry

IP Logged

sakoman
Full Forum Member

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 5:02am

I ordered my High Wall casting set  directly from:

Boulder River Foundry Inc.
P. O.  box 1048
Big Timber, Montana

Telephone 406-932-6540

Price was $215 plus $13.44 shipping to Arizona

You need to specify what type lever and triggers you want.  I got the schuetzen with wide spaced double set.  It comes with a straight grip lower tang which I will bend into a pistol grip.

sakoman sakoman  
IP Logged

uscra112
Oldtimer

SE Ohio Hill Country, Ohio, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 10:06pm

Coming from 15 years of the automotive "process control" world, I have to offer a concern for the integrity of castings that necessarily must have been made in small lots. It's hard enough to control a casting process when you're making 400 pieces a shift, 24/7 for months on end, using a multi-million-dollar facility like the auto plants do. A "boutique" shop might or might not be able to tell if they were shipping a flawed casting.

Does the seller X-ray every receiver and certify it? If they don't, I'd be inclined to get it done myself, even if I had to pay for it. It'd be a shame to find that a receiver casting had a flaw on the first or second "blue pill". All that work gone to waste.

(Full disclosure - I worked for a company that supplied, among other miraculous gadgets, X-ray tomography machines for just this sort of purpose. )

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 6:23am

[quote author=787E6E7F6C3C3C3F0D0 link=1277051090/6#6 date=1277431575]Coming from 15 years of the automotive "process control" world, I have to offer a concern for the integrity of castings that necessarily must have been made in small lots. It's hard enough to control a casting process when you're making 400 pieces a shift, 24/7 for months on end, using a multi-million-dollar facility like the auto plants do. A "boutique" shop might or might not be able to tell if they were shipping a flawed casting.

Does the seller X-ray every receiver and certify it? If they don't, I'd be inclined to get it done myself, even if I had to pay for it. It'd be a shame to find that a receiver casting had a flaw on the first or second "blue pill". All that work gone to waste.

Shiloh Sharps have produced thousands of replica's of various sidehammer Sharps rifles over many years. All their castings are done 'In House' even if the company that does the castings bears a different name. I cannot recollect of ever hearing of a Shiloh Sharps Rifle doing a 'Kaboom' or having any major failure that injured the shooter.

Given the predeliction to resorting to 'Law' that many Americans have if something dissatisfies them, I'm pretty sure that Shiloh will have that aspect covered. Action and other parts are cast using the 'Lost Wax' method. Parts of the process can be seen by visiting their site and viewing the video.

All steels when coming from the furnace are cast initially, later they may be hot or cold rolled, but if there are flaws they will still be there after the rolling processes.

Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print