Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Belding and Mull Powder Measure (Read 3854 times)
possible
Full Forum Member

Huntingdon, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Belding and Mull Powder Measure
Jul 25th, 2010 at 9:50pm

I have a new-in-the-box B&M micrometer-type powder measure for which I need to know the value.
Anyone have an idea?
Thanks.

IP Logged

ablock
Junior Forum Member

Shoot center & enjoy the
day...

NW Iowa, Iowa, USA
Re: Belding and Mull Powder Measure
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 9:53pm

Possible,
Have you checked Buffalo Arms. At one time they were selling them
new in the box. Good luck, Al

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:48am

Lot of them on Ebay I think 100 bucks is about the going price. It's a great value in powder measures, unusual design keeps people away but it does some things much better than other measures.

Boats

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 7:28pm

Its a high end dipper.  I use both the B& M and thw 55 lyman.I have never wanted anything else. You need to match the measure to the powder. I use the B & M with the courser powder and the 55 with the finer stuff. I used the 55 way before  friend gave me the B & M. 55 & Trueline jr. are a good matchup for loading a lot of small cases like 45acp. On the other hand I have had a lot of good amo for the target guns come from the cheep lee loader and dipper. I have wilson dies for the 222 and 30/30
Tom

IP Logged

Idaho Sharpshooter
Full Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 1:21am

The B&M is being produced today, by MVA.  I have one of each.  They are just the ticket for loading Black.  Either will hold under 2/10ths if I do my part.  Consistent throws are the key.

Have you decided to sell it?
If so, I would be interested.

Rich

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 5:02pm

The MVA is "improved" on the B&M design.  I have a original B&M  use it a lot and think MVA is a better measure mostly due to better corrosion resistance fit and finish.  Either is a good thrower with black or stick powders

My opinion only

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 6:55pm

I have a B&M also. Nice one. Didnt throw very accurate charges so never used it. Also I couldnt actuate the arm without it spinning on whatever it was mounted to.
One day I got to looking at it close, noticed some wear in the slide. Spent a couple hours reducing the tolerances.  It throws very accurate BP charges now. I use it for my slug gun and picket rifles. 
I dont like the design.  My Redding BR measure does a much better job. The B&M looks period with my other stuff.  Wink

Joe.    Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 8:27pm

What use mine for and what I like about it, is that you can throw small (3-8gr) charges of 4759 very accurately. Better than any other measure that I have and I collect powder measures.

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 8:07am

If you tune a B&M they can work very well.  Biggest problem is they get sticky with Black powder and run stiff.  I had to lap in parts of mine but the real cure was using powdered graphite to lube the slide.  They do need to have the mount screw tight, real tight. I use a wrench on the thumb screw.

I think the reason they throw 4759 so good is the long strong lever cutting off grains and the tight tolerance slide. Reason they are so consistent is the spring return takes the human error out of drop operation. In any event it's the best I have seen for 4759 and a better choice by a slim margin than a Lyman 55 for Black powder.

I would like to try one of the MVA's

Boats

IP Logged

bpjack
Full Forum Member

East Olympia, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 8:59pm

I use mine for BP only and cured the sticking issue with Midway Drop Out mold release.  I removed the lever and shuttle the chamber back and forth with my fingers.  Online Metals sells some 2" brass tube that makes a dandy elongated hopper for the originals.

Jack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print