Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cleaning live ammo (Read 2091 times)
oughtsix
Senior Forum Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
cleaning live ammo
Aug 8th, 2010 at 4:25pm

I have a sack full of  what I believe to be pre WWII 30-06 ammo  that has considerable green corrosion.   Is there a way to clean the shells,  can they be shot as is, or should I donate them at the next hazardous waste dump day

I realize this isn't single shot stuff,  but you guys are my experts!,

Thanks

"You should not believe all the facts you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln ca.1863
Life member

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Re: cleaning live ammo
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 4:50pm

Personally It's a risk I would not take with 30/1906. But lots of people shoot old unknown origin ammo.

My rifles are worth a fair amount even a rough 03 is nearly a thousand bucks Grands too. Something like a SKS junk anyway so old stuff makes no difference.

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288

New Jersey, New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 6:17pm

Might want to check the head stamps and then go to a collector's website to see if they are collectible.  If not, to dispose of them, you will have to pull the heads, dump the powder and soak the primers before disposing of them.  

As for the brass components, I save all my split cases and spent primers.  When I get a goodly amount - off to the recyclers and trade the value for scrap lead, preferably dead soft sheet lead

PS:  If they are run of the mill rounds, I personally would not fire them

Regards
John Corney

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 8:53pm

WW II 30-06 ammo is going to have corrosive primers in it.  If you do clean it and fire it, you'll have to contend with properly cleaning the residue from your rifle to keep your bore from rotting away.  It's best to take it to a gun show and pass it on to an ammo collector or dealer for him to sell as "curio" examples of the type.  Don't try to polish it to a bright shine...just wipe off the exterior with a slightly oily rag to remove the worst of the crud. 

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 8:54pm

If they were mine, I would not consider taking them to a hazmat place.  It will cause you more problems than you can imagine. The hippies will act like you brought in a case of very old dynamite. Somebody will take down your license # and you will wind up in a computer file somewhere.

If they were mine, I would salvage the components.  If the cartridges really are pre-WW2, they are (+/-) collectible.  Some headstamps are much more desirable than others.  If they are loaded with the old 172-grain boat tail bullets, the bullets are worth about $0.10 to $0.20 each in shootable quantities.  I bought a quart of them for $10 at a recent gun show.  Other 1930s target bullets (170 or 180 gr flatbase) might be worth a bit more.  If you do not have a collet-type bullet puller, this might be the time to consider one.

The powder is salvageable.  It is probably something close to IMR-4895.  Weigh a few loads and write down the results.  If you use the powder in reloading, you may want to cut the charge just a bit because our modern primers are a bit hotter.

If US military ammo, the primers are FA-70s, corrosive but very stable.  You could shoot them, but then you would have to use some suitable solvent (boiling water) to get rid of the corrosive residue. 

If you pull the bullets & save the powder, you might want to make the primers inert before removing them. A drop or 2 of almost any sort of oil in the case mouth will do the trick.  Put the cases in a loading block and let them stand overnight.

The primers are probably crimped in and will require a bit of effort to remove.  You may be able to do it with a FL die and a stout loading press, or you may need to use one of the old tools for punching out GI primers with a hammer.

The cases should be cleaned, tumbled & inspected.  Use the good ones, make 7.65 mm Mauser or 7 x 57mm out of the ones with split necks (anneal first) & put the others into the scrap.  I'm a pessimist.  I save spent primers.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 8:00am

I take old ammo fishing and dump it on one of the WW II U Boat Wrecks offshore. Diver is going to pick up something obscure and claim the US was using Kraig's to fight the Germans.

Agree with Waterman, Avoid the authorities, you ought to see the TV piece our Fire Department did on disposing of Screw base Fluorescent light bulbs.  Government run amuck

Boats

IP Logged

colo_native
Oldtimer

Ruin, Va, Virginia, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 5:39pm

Do what Boats saz....   dump it....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print