Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stevens 44 vs 44 1/2 buttstocks (Read 1779 times)
blindeye
Full Forum Member

Ohio, USA
Stevens 44 vs 44 1/2 buttstocks
Oct 6th, 2010 at 1:04pm

I was asked recently about interchangeability. and I wasn't sure.
     The questioner had a nice 44 1/2 barreled action and was contemplating purchasing a poor condition 44 because it had pretty decent wood. The cost of the complete ,but shabby 44 was comparable to the price of semi-inletted wood. And he'd rather preserve some originality if possible. So, the question was...would the straight grip 44 butt stock fit a straight grip 44 1/2 action?

ASSRA, OGCA, TSGC life, NRA life

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Re: Stevens 44 vs 44 1/2 buttstocks
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 1:30pm

As far as I know, yes, they will interchange. The DST's will and some levers will.

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:43pm

Quote:
yes, they will interchange. The DST's will and some levers will.
Frank

Hello Frank,

Putting the original question about the interchangeability of Stevens butt stocks aside for a moment, am I reading your above post correctly; that you are indicating that some Stevens M-44 1/2 finger under levers will fit directly into Model 44 actions, and vice versa ?

Could you be more specific about which finger levers will interchange between models and which will not ?

Thanks much,    Smiley

Webb

IP Logged

Andy
Full Forum Member

Sugar Grove, Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:53pm

Wood removed for the hammer spring is not the same for 44 and 44 1/2. Ether stock can be trimmed for for the other.
Andy

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:59pm

Webb,
This is what I know.......

Wisners lists the same lever and part number for both the late 44 and 44 1/2 with .200 pivots. My late 44 has a .157 wide extractor and cut in the lever and a .290 pivot hole in the lever. The extrator cut on my 44 1/2 levers is .260 wide and has a .200 pivot. So, on a late 44 like i have, you could ream the pivot on a 44 1/2 lever to .290 and shim the extractor cut evenly on both sides to .157 (or possibly use a 44 1/2 extractor?) and you'll have a useable lever for the late 44. I have 2 early 44's (7 o'clock) but it didn't look like it would be worth messing with that. I don't know if some of the later 6 o'clock 44's had .200 pivots before they made the .290 bushing type or not.

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 6:43pm

Hi Frank ,

Thanks for the elaboration, as I initially understood that you were indicating that the finger levers may be removed from one model and walked over and installed in the other model. 

That is not what you intended to convey, but now I know that you know the differences among the two models. 

Frank, I agree with everything in your second post, but let me discuss one point with you.  If one has a late model 44 which is O.E.M. center fire, they shipped with heavy breech blocks and safety hammers with the support ledge.  Those blocks had a narrow extractor cut and Stevens milled the extractors narrow in order to fit the high pressure blocks.  The finger levers in those high pressure actions also had a narrow extractor cut and the three pieces, block, extractor and finger lever worked together in unison, no problem.

Now, if you would want to move a 44 1/2 finger lever into an O.E.M. high pressure M-44 action, of course you would have to enlarge the pivot pin hole diameter, however, you would not have to shim either side of the extractor at the pivot hole end as you have suggested.

When I was planning such a lever swap, I thought exactly the same thing as you did about shimming each side of the extractor due to the fact that the 44 1/2 lever is milled for the wide extractor.  But when you assemble the swapped narrow extractor into the wide extractor lever what keeps the extractor centered is the fact that the extractor is centered in the narrow cut in the high pressure breech block.  It works like a charm without the two side shims.  I'll get some photos of the one I did and send them attached to an E-mail.

Webb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print