Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Design your own cartridge? (Read 2064 times)
Trap4570
Full Forum Member

SW Missouri, Missouri, USA
Design your own cartridge?
Dec 20th, 2010 at 11:14am

I'm just curious if any or how many here have ordered a custom reamer for a cartridge they dreamed up.  I have one in the making now mainly because I had a few extra .338 barrels on the rack.  I chambered up some .338 Lapua mag's in the past for customers and bought the barrels in a lot.  Now that I'm retired I'm playing around with the left overs.  I have a No1 Ruger action for the project.  I selected the 32 Winchester Special because of the brass I have on hand.  The end result will be a .338/32.  I'm cutting out a 220 grain cast bullet mold. I have no idea how it will perform, but the 1 in 10 twist barrel should keep me busy the rest of the winter trying different loads.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Wexford Township & County, Michigan, USA
Re: Design your own cartridge?
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 12:33pm

Trap4570 Dave Manson has made 4 or 5 Special/Custom reamers for me and they are very fine tools, I highly recommend Dave!
MIKE-T

http://www.mansonreamers.com/

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 12:51pm

My Manson reamers are excellent too.

Had a reamer ground for a 32/40 Remington case, straight taper like a Pope chamber for breech seating.  The case holds 48 grains of FFF compared to the 32/40s 40 grains when loaded fixed. Yep, It shoots fixed BP load very well. Very accurate with smokeless when breech seated.

The reamer was used to replace a bad chamber in a new rifle. Krag brass is used. Dave Kiff at Pacific tool in Oregon did the work. Good reamer made to my specs. If I were to do it over I would  increase the base size a bit. After chambering I have to lap the head area. Standard 32/40 0n the left, 32/40 Remington on the right.

Joe.  Smiley

439.jpg (74 KB | 135 )
439.jpg

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 3:18pm

I have 5 Hugh Hendrickson reamers and 2 PT&G. I don't know if Hugh is still in business any more ( he made my reamers in the '90's) but, they are custom and we talked a lot before he made them for me. He is 20 miles from me.

I had all mine made w/o the rim on them so, I can play with the cartridge length and the cut the rim in with a boring bar.

Here is something to remember about reamers if you have a custom one made........the cartridge case head is solid for about .200 (.140 in front of the rim) and your reamer has to have that dimension as a minimum .200 before the rear of your chamber. Our cases are tapered, so on most it's about .008 larger than the case head at the point just in front of the rim or about .009-.010 on the reamers that i have made for me w/o the rim. The neck and throat are very important , too, especially if you want to shoot fixed.

This last month I had 2 reamers made at PT&G (they are only 5 miles from me) they do excellent work, too. He seems to have a lot of single shot drawings available, also. They also do custom reamer for the same as the one he keeps in stock, it just takes a week or two longer for delivery.

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

Trap4570
Full Forum Member

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 3:23pm

I have Pacific making me the reamer.  If I ever do another I will give Mr. Manson a shot at it.  I made my own in the past, but I don't have the tooling or furnace anymore.  This is more play time for me and doing the contour, threading and chambering is about all I care to do anymore.  Being able to relax and shoot without distractions is what I'm looking forward to. 
How did your new chambering work out? Did you notice any performance increase or accuracy increase?  Did it meet what you expected of it?
I found this .32 Winchester Special brass (200 rounds) sitting in my garage where I left it in 1973.  Since it was only chambered in lever guns - I wondered what it's potential would be in a strong action with a fast twist.  I'm interested in seeing what happens.

IP Logged

Trap4570
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 3:52pm

The reamer will be the standard .32 Winchester blown out to load the .338 dia bullet.  (Removable Pilot) Fixed ammunition with some freebore to handle the heavier bullets.  It may be a disappointment, but interesting to see what it does.

IP Logged

Idaho Sharpshooter
Full Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 11:27pm

Congratulations!  You have just created the 33-47 Pope Improved.  He built several by taking factory Schuetzen rifles in 32-40 and boring the barrel to 33 caliber.  He did the same thing with 38-55's but called them 39-55's.

It should shoot...

regards,

Rich

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 1:33am

I've got a .338 wildcat...a '96 Krag that evidently had been rechambered to 30-40 Improved, and some time later had been rebored to .338, with a new neck & throat cut into the barrel.  The price was very right, I neck size only with cut down .338 Mag dies and run cast bullets only in it.  If I ever move to a "rifle" deer state, it will be good for medium distances, in the meantime, cans & milk jugs are not safe from it!   Grin

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Trap4570
Full Forum Member

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 8:19am

Sounds like I re-invented the wheel

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 10:51am

You're in good company...the unknown gunsmith(s) who did my Krag, Harry Pope.... Smiley

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Senior Forum Member

fort worth, Texas, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 10:38pm

I've reinvented a couple guning wheels, sometimes with good results, things like a Savage 110 with no barrel nut, integrally comped 45 barrel, ribbed SA barrels, brass grip frames...

I'm for any sport that burns powder, I just look down a different set of barrels than most folks.  __Elmer Keith

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 1:43pm

Hello, Trap4570.  Several years ago, I purchased a neat customized martini sporter built on the Australian cadet action.  Had very short skinny brl. in .218 Mashburn Bee.  Replaced brl. with 27" Shilen match chrome moly, chambered in .22 Ack. Bee.  Reamer was from Pacific.  When reamer arrived, I didn't care for short neck....thought I might like to try cast in it someday..Had Pacific push neck back to original Bee length.  So basically it is a straightened body, 40deg. Bee.

IP Logged

Trap4570
Full Forum Member

Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 1:12pm

Basically in my using what I have on hand to build this No1 Ruger - I have selected a combination that goes back to the turn of the century.  Interesting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print