Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lyman/Litschert Scope (Read 2373 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Lyman/Litschert Scope
Dec 28th, 2010 at 11:24pm

I've been looking for two days for info on my scope.  It's a 7/8 tube, Lyman Alaskan, All Weather but, here is the thing........ The eye piece is marked 2 1/2, the tube is marked Alaskan but, It bells to 1 3/16 and on that bell it's marked "6 Alaskan" and has a paralax scale on it. It is 6x.The ajustable objective is marked VARMIT MASTER and under that R.A. Litschert and it's 1 11/32 dia.

Does anyone know of a merger of Litschert and Lyman? I have a idea that it was made some time in the 50's because i can't find Alaskan's listed after 1957.  I can find no other 7/8 tube scope that was ever made after the Alaskcan came out.

Can anyone help?

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Re: Lyman/Litschert Scope
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:08am

You have a Lyman scope with a Litschert power booster.  They are more commonly found on Weaver scopes.  I'm sure that someone with more information on the brand will add to what I know.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:22am

David is correct. I had one mated to a Lyman A5. 5A?   

Worked good. The scale was useless though.

Joe.  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 8:51am

38_Cal wrote on Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:08am:
You have a Lyman scope with a Litschert power booster.  They are more commonly found on Weaver scopes.  I'm sure that someone with more information on the brand will add to what I know.

David

That's pretty much the whole story, as David told it.  To add a little bit, however, here goes;  After WW II, the folks at Litschert found and filled a nice little niche providing the improvement folks felt they needed to their old fashioned (read, "pre-War design") scopes.  I have one on a Weaver 330 that works quite well to double the effective power... a much needed improvement, IMHO.  As soon as that niche closed they went into making whole scopes more heavily and then eventually sold out to a company named Davis, IIRC.

Froggie

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 2:25pm

Thanks, everyone,
I have it mounted on a 922 with a heavy Douglas octagon barrel. It's been on there for more than 20 years and after getting these answers, I removed the front ring and could then see the join were the two are screwed together. I had thought that the tube was one piece and couldn't figure out what I have. I do under stand it. I have a Bushnel power booster (2.5x) but, there isn't any parallax on it.

Again, thanks,

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print