Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lyman/Litschert Scope (Read 2272 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Lyman/Litschert Scope
Dec 28th, 2010 at 11:24pm

I've been looking for two days for info on my scope.  It's a 7/8 tube, Lyman Alaskan, All Weather but, here is the thing........ The eye piece is marked 2 1/2, the tube is marked Alaskan but, It bells to 1 3/16 and on that bell it's marked "6 Alaskan" and has a paralax scale on it. It is 6x.The ajustable objective is marked VARMIT MASTER and under that R.A. Litschert and it's 1 11/32 dia.

Does anyone know of a merger of Litschert and Lyman? I have a idea that it was made some time in the 50's because i can't find Alaskan's listed after 1957.  I can find no other 7/8 tube scope that was ever made after the Alaskcan came out.

Can anyone help?

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Re: Lyman/Litschert Scope
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:08am

You have a Lyman scope with a Litschert power booster.  They are more commonly found on Weaver scopes.  I'm sure that someone with more information on the brand will add to what I know.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:22am

David is correct. I had one mated to a Lyman A5. 5A?   

Worked good. The scale was useless though.

Joe.  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 8:51am

38_Cal wrote on Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:08am:
You have a Lyman scope with a Litschert power booster.  They are more commonly found on Weaver scopes.  I'm sure that someone with more information on the brand will add to what I know.

David

That's pretty much the whole story, as David told it.  To add a little bit, however, here goes;  After WW II, the folks at Litschert found and filled a nice little niche providing the improvement folks felt they needed to their old fashioned (read, "pre-War design") scopes.  I have one on a Weaver 330 that works quite well to double the effective power... a much needed improvement, IMHO.  As soon as that niche closed they went into making whole scopes more heavily and then eventually sold out to a company named Davis, IIRC.

Froggie

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 2:25pm

Thanks, everyone,
I have it mounted on a 922 with a heavy Douglas octagon barrel. It's been on there for more than 20 years and after getting these answers, I removed the front ring and could then see the join were the two are screwed together. I had thought that the tube was one piece and couldn't figure out what I have. I do under stand it. I have a Bushnel power booster (2.5x) but, there isn't any parallax on it.

Again, thanks,

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print