Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange Parlor Rifle (Read 1600 times)
DonN
Junior Forum Member

Muncy, Pennsylvania, USA
Strange Parlor Rifle
Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:15pm

I was at a gun show and presenter had a display of german parlor rifles. One was unusual to say the least. The rifle was typical German Schuetzen style parlor made in the late 19th or early 20th century. The barrel was about 28" long and back bored. The rifling extened about 5" into the barrel the balance was open back bored. Now what made it unusual was on each side of the barrel just at the end of the rifling two grooves where cut into the barrel. They extended into the bore and the opening into the barrel was about an one-half inch wide and two inches long. Does anyone know why this was done? What was the purpose. It would seem to me once the bullet hit the space all pressure would be lost and the bullet would coast through the barrell. The fella who owned had no idea why it was done.
Thanks Don

IP Logged

wesg
Full Forum Member

Re: Strange Parlor Rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 9:03pm

If I'm understanding your description right, they could be for retrieving cleaning patches. This is allowed with modern bloop tubes for smallbore.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 6:52pm

My guess is that they were to cancel the vacuum behind the bullet to maintain the the velocity through to the end of the barrel.

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

DonN
Junior Forum Member

Muncy, Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 8:18pm

Frank your answer could the reason for the grooves. I talked to the owner of the rifle and he couldn't come up with a reason. I wonder how it worked if at all.
Thanks  Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print