Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MVA B5 Scope (Read 2951 times)
38-55
Full Forum Member

central pa, Pennsylvania, USA
MVA B5 Scope
Apr 11th, 2011 at 12:53pm

Received an MVA B5 scope, could not be more pleased.  Goes perfect with a Stevens 44 1/2 22 hornet.  This is not a Unertl 2" target.  It is however a very good scope on a walk about hornet.

IP Logged

doubs43
Full Forum Member

Macon, GA, Georgia, USA
Re: MVA B5 Scope
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 2:26pm

The MVA B5 series of scopes sound interesting but what is the eye relief on them? I have an original Winchester B5 and the eye relief is not enough for a rifle with much recoil. (Mine is on an early Winchester 52)

IP Logged

38-55
Full Forum Member

central pa, Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 3:33pm

Don't know what the eye relief is.  I would not put one on a heavy rifle.  The scope recoils away from the shooter during recoil.  If I wanted period correct I would look at a Malcom style.  I shoot an MVA on a sharps 45-90,  23 inch scope, no problems.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 8:33am

I haven't measured the eye relief on my B5 but it seemed a little longer than my Unertl and Fecker scopes. One of the things that I like about the scope is the quality of the mounts they are well made not like the cheap Chinese crap that some of the other "Period" scope makers are using. I was also pleased that they kept the original Winchester design. I have always felt that the elevation knob on their Malcolmb mounts looks like a boil on a baby's butt. Not to mention that that long skinny thing sticking up is begging to get snagged or worse bent. All in all I am very happy with the scope.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 11:09am

Like mine too,

It's a different scope for a different purpose than a Unertl Target or Lyman STS.  Best for a light rifle used in the field and stay correct for the period. Mines going on a Rimfire Low Wall

Lots of them used on heavy recoilers over the years though. On any external adjustment, scope stays in place when the rifle recoils, distance between your eye and scope increases on recoil

Boats

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 11:13am

Crap, who want see [Chinese] crap... look at the Long Range Precision Mount (hah!) still sold by someone who makes the Malcolm reproduction scope.  Cheap steel, poorly manufactured, poorly designed, 50TPI bolts, non-aligning marks, sticks up even higher... not that I have an opinion, you know! Angry

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 10:39pm

I have a Lyman 438 Field on my Walnut Hill Hornet. Period  correct and looks right and works fine for my purposes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print