Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Refinish/Stain for French Walnut (Read 2433 times)
pmcfall
Full Forum Member

Re: Refinish/Stain for French Walnut
Apr 18th, 2011 at 8:31am

I have no problems using Laurel Mountain stains on top of finish.  In fact, that is the way I prefer to do it.  Generally I use their Walnut (red) and American Walnut (brown-red).  Sometimes a mix of the two is necessary for the right color.  I thin it with denatured acohol and work up gradually to the color I want.
Phil

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Newark, Delaware, USA
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 7:58pm

Another alternative is Homer Dangler's old oil stains now made and offered by Jim Klein, Fulton, MI. Good color choices, good penetration for oil. As with Homer, his emphasis is on muzzle loaders, but if'n its good and works, who cares. I obviously don't know your specific piece of wood, but some of that walnut naturally gets darker with age, unless it is stained light. (ugh). I almost  (almost) never stain walnut of any variation. But again the oil I use is not on the shelves, so I almost hesitate to mention it. Anyway, if you do want to stain it, Klein offers a gretat selection of colors, one of which is a "honey brown". Remembering it is "mostly" used on maple, I have had some great results on walnut. Good luck.

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 8:19am

Homer's and Laurel Mtn stains both work well go on evenly and will stain down to the bone. I prefer the color of Homer's a little better he gets just the right amount of red in his.

40 Rod

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Newark, Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:40am

I agree whole heartedly 40 Rod.  When Homer retired(??) I was glad to see Jim take over not only Homer's rifle "kits", but more then that, the stain line. Just for reference, Pecatonica River also handles Homer's/Jim Klein's stains. Using more than one can work wonders. To highlight the figure or curl, use one of the dark brown or reddish brown . Let it dry well and rub it back with 4-O steel wool and go back to your finish color. It takes some time and a little effort, but the results can be spectacular.

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

ca, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:17am

Scotchbrite "synthetic" steel wool is what I use.

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Newark, Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:28am

Hi CCM. If there has already been a finish on this wood, I wouldn't worry too much. That said, yes I use a fine cheese cloth type material or conventional tack rag. When using the steel wool, don't rub the wood, just kind of buff itDepending on how fine you want to take this, there is a product you will normaly find in a place like "woodcraft", called  "micromesh." It kinda/sorta looks like sand paper, but is not actually an abrasive. We used it on aircraft acrylic windows. It is grades up to 12,000. It optically polishes acrylic plastics. It does this because it uses ultra fine metal parfticles set in a cushion backing and scrapes rather that abrates. On wood it creates an olde tyme scraped finish without the work and scraper marks. On wood you only use 1,500 to 4,000 grades. It is time consuming, but what a finish. So, anyway, have fun and let us know how it comes out.

Dick

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 4:20pm

A brit rifle should be stained with alkanet  (red root) oil, that's the right oil to make it shine...  Then some CCL traditional oil finish.  At least, that's how I do it.

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Newark, Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 5:15pm

CCM, I did forget one point re: "freckles." Where I have seen the most steel wool freckles, is when wood is rubbed down before it has been wiskered a few times. You're just asking for trouble doing that. But then again, maybe a red haired shooter would like the freckles. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print