Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Opinions on the different 1874 Sharps makers (Read 3908 times)
A Mayer
Full Forum Member

Woodland Park, Colorado, Colorado, USA
Opinions on the different 1874 Sharps makers
Aug 10th, 2011 at 8:44pm

Hey All,

Looking at a few 1874 sharps and I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on Armi Sports quality.  I'm also looking at a Uberti and a Perdersoli.  I've got a Pedersoli RB which I think is well made, but I'm not too familiar with the 1874 Sharps rifles.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Andy
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2011 at 8:56pm by A Mayer »  

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Opinions on the different 1874 Sharps makers
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 9:30pm

I am no expert on the subject but from what I have read and observed Shiloh is the best. Pedersoli is probably the best for the amount of money spent. I have a Pedersoli mainly because I did not want to spend what a Shiloh costs. It is fine for my purposes. I am sure others will give there more educated opinions

IP Logged

ssdave
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 11:11pm

I would go with a Shiloh, unless I got another makers rifle for less than half of dealer cost.  In the long run, the value is much better.  In order after that, I would take C Sharps, then Pedersoli.    Then, a far distant choice behind them, I would take a Uberti and a Armi Sport, or San Marcos, or other italian maker.  I wouldn't pay more than $375 to $425 for any italian maker other than pedersoli.  And only if it had a long heavy barrel and very good wood.  I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $850 for a well equipped Pedersoli.  That would be a comparable value to a $1900 Shiloh, in my opinion.

On second thought, I would stop at C Sharps, or maybe even at Shiloh.  I would purchase something else instead, say a CPA Stevens, rather than go with an italian clone.  Better rifle, better value.  Plus U.S. made, which in our current political climate is the attitude we all need to get out of the mess our politicians and our greed has put us into.

I would only buy C Sharps if I could see it first, unless it was really cheap.  I've owned a couple of them that were less than stellar quality, and seen a couple that were worse than mine.  But, I've seen others that rivaled a Shiloh.  Mostly on the wood fit and finish, metal is usually okay.  I think at times John has had a hard time keeping good help.

I've never seen a poor Shiloh, and their followup service and warranty is unbeatable.  That's the reason their resale value is so high.  Buy it, use it for a few years, and if you ever sell, you'll get all your money back.  Not many things that have that record.

dave

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 5:54am

Some years ago I was real interested in a Sharps.  Save the Axtel which was only available in small quantities  Shiloh was clearly the best. Problem at the time was you had to take what Shiloh wanted to build, set up way I wanted was out of the question.  Wait times were years while speculators had plenty of them for sale.

I don't know if that is still the case but Cherry's has 3 or 4 that have been listed better part of a year with no takers.  Consignment guns that have never been fired at about what a new one would cost and no doubt more than they cost when built.  I suspect the bubble has burst just like so many other bubbles.  If Shiloh will respond to a letter or better yet answer the phone and discuss options then deliver a rifle in a reasonable time it's probably the one to buy.  You still see the ad's from dealers that promise Shiloh rifles without waiting years.

Better to shoot than line dealers pockets.  Several other American builders will deliver a nice rifle built just like you want it.  I still regret not buying one of Axtels long range guns though.

Boats

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 5:59am

You specifically asked about Armi Sport. We have several Sharps shooters in our club, including one Shilo, several Pedersolis and a couple of Armi Sports. The Armi Sports are the only ones which give any trouble and spares have proved to be imposible to obtain, (UK). I have welded up and recut firing pin assemblies in the past---it wasn't easy and definitely not worth while if parts could be obtained. Our Shilo owner is deeply in love with it, but it doesn't shoot or look any better than the Pedersolis.
Fred

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Full Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 9:13am

Minor comment from peanut gallery - C.Sharps...  I have three M1885s in different configurations/calibers.  If you are not picking a rifle from inventory or not a "standard" caliber, e.g., 38-55, 45-70, etc., your wait could be a year.  Their barrels are made by Badger so they're dependent upon Badger's production schedule.  I also heard that what C.Sharps considers "fancy" or "extra-fancy" wood is a step below Shiloh (who I believe also makes their own barrels).  But I must add that in every instance C.Sharps upgraded the wood because of the delay.  Fit/finsh - I think the assessment is honest, fair, and accurate.  Although to Froggie, nothing compares to his original Highwalls (bit of a snob). Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gunlaker
Oldtimer

lower mainland, British Columbia, Canada
Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 11:26am

I own a couple of Shilohs, C Sharps, and used to own a Pedersoli. All of them are fine rifles.  The Pedersoli was my first Sharps. The only reason I sold it was that it was a single trigger gun with a light weight barrel. It was a fine shooter although the Pedersoli tang sight (and yes I had one of their "good" ones Smiley, it big and clunky.

My only real complaint with respect to the Pedersoli rifles is that the Italians make slightly odd shaped forearms.

Chris.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 6:11pm

Pedersoli sharps shoot fantastic. The fit and finish of the shiloh and C. Sharps is better. resell is better also. But, Pedersoli accuracy is as good or better then either of the others. Waiting time for the others can be as much as 6 months, and they cost twice as much.

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288

New Jersey, New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 9:32pm

Andy, in order of overall quality and thickness of your wallet:
1. Shiloh
2. C Sharps
3. Pedersoli

Armi San Marco, same company renamed to Armi Sports - nickname, known as the IAB - translated 'It's Always Broke' and the the bore is so-so with low grade fit to finish

I have 2 Pedersoli Sharps - 45-70 and 45-90.  Have pictures of 1000yd targets to show they are shooters.  FYI, all Pedersoli rifle barrels are match grade.  Can post the complete details how the barrels are cut if there is any interest

Regards
John Corney

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

camarillo, CA, California, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 9:44pm

Well, I think C  sharps then Shilo. Both are an excelent choice. And do yourself a big favour stay farrrrrr farrrrrr away from any spagetti rifle. They are not cheap, parts are really expensive if needed, threads are metric. the list goessss on. I had a good friend get a nice looking rifle from one of the makers and it cam with a stow away, had termites under the butt plate. That floored me. Guess that the little blighters liked the wood.
Mike

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Full Forum Member

Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 6:11pm

Darn illegal immigrants, there oughta be a law.  Next thing you know they'll invite their ants and uncles, it'll be a whole colony.  You just wait and see! Angry

IP Logged

SA Noel McC
Junior Forum Member

Calgary, Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 9:18pm

And in no time, they too will start rioting.

noel.mcc930 sa_noelmcc@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2011 at 10:17pm

Now if you want a real good one you can go for a Fruend conversion, this gives your rifle the Fruend patent double extractor and Fruend hammer. These are real nice rifles made by an excelent crafsman, not cheap, but not over priced for what you are getting. Take a look.
If nothing else thye eye candy is great.
Mike

http://schuetzenguncompany.com/freundgallery.php

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2011 at 10:24pm

Here is a picture of the extractor.

And one of the special breech block that cams the shell in even if it is fouled, this was also a special Fruend patent and this gentleman owns the patent rights now.
Mike

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Texas, Texas, USA
Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 12:43am

John Boy wrote on Aug 11th, 2011 at 9:32pm:
 Can post the complete details how the barrels are cut if there is any interest

John Boy,