Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ohaus Hopper Style Powder Dispenser (Read 2604 times)
creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Ohaus Hopper Style Powder Dispenser
Sep 3rd, 2011 at 1:08pm

I am seeking opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of the Ohaus Du-O-Measure Model #7200, vintage 1970's, hopper style powder measure,  I am thinking about replacing my Lyman #55 powder measure/dispenser and the Ohaus is just one of several possibilities.  I'm seeking to achieve finer adjustment capabilities which exceed those of the Lyman #55.

Thanks,
Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Re: Ohaus Hopper Style Powder Dispenser
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 1:59pm

If the price is right, it should work ok, though no parts are available for it either from Ohaus or RCBS.  My two measures that I use are both from Redding, a #3 and a 10X.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

J Louis
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 5:01pm

Creedmoormatch what type of powder will you be measuring?

J.Louis

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 6:36pm

John,  I shoot matches loading on the line with one case, re-de capping, and breech seated bullets.  My main calibers are 32-40 and 25-20 S.S. using both the CPA action and also several original J. Stevens in both calibers.  I also shoot a Ruger No.1 in 25Cal for B.R. classes.  Some times I put the 45-70 barrel on the CPA and shoot iron sight classes if I've finished with the other calibers by the middle of the third day.  We have Fri, Sat and Sunday gatherings over in Maryland.

So my primary powders at the present time are 4227, followed by SR-4759, Unique, plus a bit of experimentation with Trail Boss at my home range for testing.

Jerry Willis suggested that I give 4100 a try, since he has done well with it.  And of course, I will try Alliant 300MP if my dealer ever gets the jug that is on back order

The Lyman #55 that I've used for a number of years is not up to the accuracy that I'm looking for.  One additional problem with the Lyman is that the drum cuts the SR-4759 granules which "jars" the whole device on the down stroke.

Hope this answers pretty much says where I am,

Webb

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 6:54pm

Quote:
 My two measures that I use are both from Redding, a #3 and a 10X. David

David, is your  Redding #3  their B.R. model ?  Looked it up in Sinclair and believe it to be a good product.  I probably would only need the pistol insert.

Thanks
  Webb

IP Logged

J Louis
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 7:04pm

With the exception of 4759 of which I could only meter with some success with the old Belding & Mull measure I think you would be hard pressed to surpass the quality of both the BR 3 & especially the Harrel Schuetzen measure for those powders that are either of the ball make up or not larger than the 4227 kernel size. I am not sure if the Harrel Schuetzen measure will provide enough grains for the 40-65 and if not move up to one of the measures they provide that will and I think you would be more than happy.

The only thing I have against the Redding BR measure is the lack of click adjustments of which complicates things in my pea brain as those fine adjustment lines are almost impossible for me to see clearly at this point in my life.

J.Louis

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 7:27pm

My Redding No. 3 is the standard type, I've not had any problems with it with any type of powder.  I use it for bulkier charges, with the 10X for small charges, like H108, 4227, etc.  There's both a 3BR and a 10X on EvilBay right now at pretty good prices, under the heading "Redding powder measure".

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 8:31am

For my money you can't do better than a than a Harrell measure. I use the Schuetzen/Pistol measure and it is absolutely accurate with the ball powders that I usually use. For stick powders I use either an old Precision Rifles Culver style measure or a Belding and Mull depending on how much powder I am dropping. I have found that for dropping light loads of 4759 there is nothing better than the B&M measure. For 38-55 and up I use the Culver type measure for the convenience of being able to dial to a specific click and have the drop be accurate. If I was buying one measure for all around today I'd get a Harrell Custom 90 measure. It's going to cost you more but there are some things that  you are going to have to get up off your wallet for.

40 Rod

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Wexford Township & County, Michigan, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 9:24am

Used the Ohaus Du-O-Measure on the small insert setting before finally getting the  Harrell's Schuetzen/Pistol measure about 8 yrs ago, the Ohaus worked pretty well with 2400 - 4198 - 4227 - 4759 size powders and the larger ball powders, but would get sticky after dispensing very fine ball type powders, at least mine did.

The best powder measure I've owned was bought at the Great Western gun-show in 1973 and I would still be using it if I still had the Pistol drum, it was an old 5 lb cast iron monster Saeco Micro-Measure with the rifle and pistol drums purchased new in the box for a very small amount of $, on one of the many, many moves while in the service the pistol drum disappeared, as they were pretty much hand fitted with the cylinder honed to the hard chrome plated drum's OD they were very smooth, great accurate measure.

BUT the Harrell is 100 times easier to set and re-set, IMO the Harrell is worth every penny they get for it.

Mike

creedmoormatch wrote on Sep 3rd, 2011 at 1:08pm:
 I am seeking opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of the Ohaus Du-O-Measure Model #7200, vintage 1970's, hopper style powder measure,  I am thinking about replacing my Lyman #55 powder measure/dispenser and the Ohaus is just one of several possibilities.  I'm seeking to achieve finer adjustment capabilities which exceed those of the Lyman #55.

Thanks,
Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 8:27am

I use three different measures.   Harrell's for 4227 and most spherical or small grain rifle powders, it throws Varget very well.   Belding and Mull for 4759 and Black powder.  Bonanza fixed rotor for Unique and most pistol powders.  I hardly use my Lyman 55 anymore not because it's inaccurate just hard to set.

Harrell's is well worth what they cost, others if you watch Ebay are cheap.   I sold off a big C-H not long ago, worked great for Rifle powders just never used it since buying a Harrell's.

If one measue worked for all powders would be nice don't think it's possable though

Boats

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 9:03am

Quote:
 I hardly use my Lyman 55 anymore not because it's inaccurate just hard to set. Boats

Bill
  Agreed, the brass slides are so faintly engraved that the graduation lines are very difficult to read in bright sunlight.

I do have strong "brand loyalties" to Lyman, simply because of their Super Target Spot scopes from the past.  However, that only goes so far !

Belding & Mull Co. is still in business here in Pennsylvania, mostly doing retail sporting goods.  It is quite an old company that just may have info on where to find a good serviceable powder measure.

Webb
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2011 at 9:52am by creedmoormatch »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print