Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BSA martini model 12/15 needs a new barrel (Read 2201 times)
britt
Junior Forum Member

BSA martini model 12/15 needs a new barrel
Dec 26th, 2011 at 8:19pm

The original barrel on my martini is worn out.  Should I buy an original barrel from a someone like Adams Guns,  should I have it sleeved, or buy a new custom barrel?  In want to keep the rifle as original looking as possible, but I want it to shoot as well as it always did. 
I'd appreciate any advice .

IP Logged

J Louis
Oldtimer

Re: BSA martini model 12/15 needs a new barrel
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 8:55pm

Not knowing what caliber you are talking about  but if it happens to be rimfire then Mac Tilton at MT Guns would certainly be worth talking to.

http://www.mtguns.com/

J.Louis

IP Logged

britt
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 10:27pm

It is a 22.

IP Logged

Warkshop
Full Forum Member

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 10:42pm

Many older BSA Martini match rifles were relined with Parker liners and performed as well as the unlined rifles.

Would be something to consider and be in keeping with past practice.  All that is needed is a quality liner and a well done installation and chamber - and keeps everything else original.

Bill

IP Logged

J Louis
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 11:01pm

Britt here is a nice little article about some of Mac's 22 Rimfire accuracy work that I thought you might enjoy. He also has the most extensive inventory of Martini Rifles for sale that I know of as well as parts, sights etc.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/07/anschutz-and-bsa-martini-benchrest-r...

J.Louis

IP Logged

J Louis
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 11:10pm

For some of you looking for a BSA Target Rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlC_shWVLuc

J.Louis

IP Logged

britt
Junior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 10:31am

Is removing and replacing a barrel something I can do myself or should I leave it up to a gunsmith?  I'm leaning toward an original relined parker barrel. 
Britt

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 12:30pm

britt wrote on Dec 27th, 2011 at 10:31am:
Is removing and replacing a barrel something I can do myself or should I leave it up to a gunsmith?  I'm leaning toward an original relined parker barrel. 
Britt

Britt, I've worked on a fair number of small action Martini rifles over the years.  To answer your question...maybe!  I've had some barrels come off with just over hand pressure, and some that were so tight that they needed to be cut just forward of the receiver to the bottom depth of the threads to relieve the pressure on the shoulder.  I've had some used barrels screw right on and headspace and index perfectly, and some that needed to be set back and re-machined/re-chambered.  I've also relined a couple of BSA Martini barrels.  One was a breeze, the other a nightmare...due to the hardness/toughness of the steel. 

The other thing to think about is the new/used barrel that you propose to put on.  If it zips on and indexes and headspaces correctly, great.  If it needs machining to fit properly, you may be into the project almost as much as the labor costs for fitting a brand new barrel from Douglas or Shilen. 

Personally, if it were my rifle, I would look at putting a quality liner into the barrel. 

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

britt
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 1:42pm

Thank you David, that's what I needed to hear.
Now, I need to find a gunsmith here in Texas willing and able to do the relining.
Anyone know of a gunsmith in or near San Antonio?
Thanks all.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 2:53pm

John Taylor is pretty much the go-to guy for this service:  Taylor Machine, 14119 Military Rd. E, Puyallup, WA 98374, (253) 445-4073

An individual can ship to a dealer/gunsmith without having to go through a dealer on your end for either part of the transaction.  I would find a hard gun case with it's original box and ship your rifle in the case.  Wrap the box with good ol' brown wrapping paper to make it less identifiable as a firearm.  Your name and address and John's inside.  Personally, I like the USPS for this, shipped insured and with tracking. 

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print