Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stevens 414 Armory Model (Read 3362 times)
OkeyMaple
Full Forum Member

ASSRA #10880

Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA
Stevens 414 Armory Model
Jan 15th, 2012 at 10:35pm

Another new member with my 1st "vintage" single shot ......
Stevens 414 Armory Model ser. no.: 713XX in "collectable" condition. Can anyone give me an estimated date of mfg.? Also suggestions for suitable scope for 50 - 200 yd. shooting from bench. Lyman/Unertl std. bases are mounted. I'm interested in details - power ? tube diameter ? objective diameter ? Is adjustable objective a given ? or just something to consider ? Unertl vs. Lyman vs. Fecker, etc. Thanks.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
Re: Stevens 414 Armory Model
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 11:37pm

Since you have the bases installed for an external scope you could use any of the scopes mentioned depending on your preference for magnification.

Some information on Unertl and Lyman scopes and the prices of the scopes you mentioned are on Dewy Greiner's Classic Unertl Scopes weppage:

http://unertl.alexweb.net/

However if you wish to use the rifle in Silhouette Scoped Black Powder:

a) Maximum weight with scope - 15 pounds
b) No length or power limitations on the scope. Scope tube body to be 3/4" or less in diameter and any ocular or objective lens, adjusting or assembly rings to be less than 1" in diameter.
c) No internal scope adjustments for windage or elevation.
d) Mounts are to be a traditional style of the period, and contain the windage and elevation adjustments for the scope in either, or both, the front or rear mounts. No click adjustments in the mount. Either dove tail mounting or scope block mounting is allowed.

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 9:02am

I suggest you look at the Montana Vintage Arms "B" series scopes. They are exact reproductions of the B series Winchester scopes, in 3, 4, and 5 power. I've seen them and their quality (finish, optics, etc) is excellent, as with all MVA products. With one of these scopes you have a vintage look but the latest technology in terms of optics.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 9:20am

Great rifle. Will be my next .22 rimfire single-shot. Will be shooting my brother's very nice 414 later this week.

For bench shooting out to 200yd suggest you get as much power as you can. I'm using a Lyman STS 24X on my Low Wall and think it is just about perfect. Am slowly getting better with it on the chickens (50yd), which can tend to dance around a bit off-hand with 24X. However, from the bench you want as much magnification as you can get. Think you would rapidly find 5X to be far too little.

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 12:42pm

FYI, if you intend to shoot your Stevens in .22 BPCR silhouette matches you are limited to a scope with 3/4" tube. The scopes with larger objective lenses are not legal. Given the size of those targets, a 4x-6x scope is quite adequate. Many of the old-time competition shooters (Pope, Dr. WG Hudson, CW Rowland to naame a few) used 5x-6x scopes for off-hand shooting at 100-200 yds, until Lyman came out with their Target Spot scopes in 1934. FYI, there's a very informative article in the Dec 2002 issue of Single Shot Exchange by Tom Lewis about the history of rifle scopes.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:50pm

40-82Hepburn wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 12:42pm:
FYI, if you intend to shoot your Stevens in .22 BPCR silhouette matches you are limited to a scope with 3/4" tube.

What is .22 BPCR silhouette? What is the sanctioning body for same? From what I read in the NRA Silhouette rules, .22 rimfire single-shot rifles would fall under the smallbore classifications with no restrictions on scopes. Not like BPCR silhouette, which does have the 3/4" restriction on the scopes.

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 5:55pm

.22 BPCR is not associated with NRA and has nothing to do with small bore silhouette. At the moment there is no sanctioning body, but there is one in the planning stages. Simply put it's the same game as BP Silhouette, shot at shorter distances with a .22 rifle. The matches are shot at 50, 100, 150, 200 yds or meters depending on the range, with targets sized accordingly. No casting, no loading, all fun.

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 5:57pm

I forgot to mention, there is a bit of chatter regarding the new .22 BPCR association on the Shiloh forum.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 7:06pm

40-82Hepburn wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 5:55pm:
.22 BPCR is not associated with NRA and has nothing to do with small bore silhouette. At the moment there is no sanctioning body, but there is one in the planning stages. Simply put it's the same game as BP Silhouette, shot at shorter distances with a .22 rifle. The matches are shot at 50, 100, 150, 200 yds or meters depending on the range, with targets sized accordingly. No casting, no loading, all fun.
That exactly what we shoot at our club (50/75/100/150/200m) with the exception of being any rifle, any sight (we do split scopes & iron sights). We've added a woodchuck at 75m off-hand to go with the chickens, and the others are from sticks. As you've said, great fun and one of my favorite matches. Usual winner is either a 38yr-old female special ed teacher with a CZ-453 and modern scope or a 50yr-old compter engineer with a BSA-Martini II with a Unertl. Winning score is around 40. To keep this on topic, the 414 would be an excellent rifle for same.

IP Logged

OkeyMaple
Full Forum Member

ASSRA #10880

Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 7:10pm

Hey guys ....... lots of interesting stuff here; however, (and I hate to be a nitpikker as a newbie) has anyone any idea of how I can estimate the age of my 414 ? Sorry to be a pain and Thanks!, again.

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:34pm

SSS,  if Gary would bag that Martini and go back to his Ballard I'm sure his scores would improve.

Back to the subject, per Norm Flayderman the 414s were made from 1912 to 1932.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:45pm

1912 to 1932. No way to detremine exact year. The early guns, 1912 to 1915 had a rubber butplate. Later guns had a metal butplate. Can't seem to come up with the exact cutoff date but I am thinking when production resumed after the end of WWI.

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:54pm

The Flayderman's I have is 6th Edition. In the description, he indicates all the 414s (1912-1932) had "shotgun hard rubber butt plates".

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 9:54pm

40-82Hepburn wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:34pm:
SSS, if Gary would bag that Martini and go back to his Ballard I'm sure his scores would improve.
Hmmm...... 40-82 Hepburn, eh. Isn't Gary more like 72, 73......? Wink
Looking forward to March. See you then.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 11:56pm

Flaydermans is wrong on that one. The subject has been hashed out here some time back. I personaly have two of them. One has the hard rubber shotgun butplate and the other has the metal butplate. Bill West's book is my reference.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print