Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DFS Hi-Wall Action (Read 5595 times)
jseines
Junior Forum Member

DFS Hi-Wall Action
Mar 6th, 2012 at 10:01am

A DFS Hi-Wall action has been listed on GunBroker, auction#276581022...does anyone have information on this action or the maker ?...

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Re: DFS Hi-Wall Action
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:36pm

It bears a strong resemblance to the Falling Block Works actions with tangs added. I can't say that I am too impressed with the great honking big hammer screw though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276581022

Jim H.

IP Logged

theformer1878
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:02pm

I think maybe Dennis Feken (SP?).  I saw a write up on a rifle built on this action 5 or 10 years ago.  It was a single guy effort and I don't know how many were made.  Someplace in Oklahoma I think.

IP Logged

45Bullet
Junior Forum Member

MULHALL , OKLAHOMA, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 9:45am

I make a few of them a year.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 3:02pm

Can you tell us more? Like are they the same dimensions as the originals and are there any trigger options? Are they investment case or machined from bar stock?

It's a very nice looking action. I too, would prefer the original style hammer pin.

Thank you for chiming in Smiley

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

45Bullet
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 5:52pm

Sure Frank, Back in the old days 1997 a friend of mine had a FBW rifle in 45-90. At that time I was with OTA building Hepburns. He couldn't shoot long range with us due to no tang for tang sights. This and the fact guns were selling at unreal prices and up to 3 years wait I decided to make the molds and do my own action. It's neither a FBW or Win. Hi-wall but it was heavily influenced by the simplicity of the FBW with the excellent winchester hi-wall extractor. Opening the action lever raises the hammer to the safety position only and does not cock the action. It's heavier built than either and smooth as glass. They are investment cast in 8620. I've done a few in 4140 & 416 S/S. The action resembles and operates like John Brownings original hi-wall (hammer pivot screw) not the Win. modified action.This action has 6 major parts Breech-Block/Link/Lever/Hammer/Trigger/Cable Type Hammer Spring. My background was with NRA  BPCRS and I've seen alot of stuff break so with this in mind, I designed a tank that won't break. These actions have been approved by the NRA for BPCRS. It does have Adjustable sear engagement and average about 2Lbs. of trigger pull. Pins and screws are made of tool steel. Magnum Gunstocks in Florida are doing stock blanks for this action now and it's simple to stock-up. I'm currently doing a few for myself to build me some personal rifles. Seems I get me a rifle built only to get relieved of it. I don't know how many more I'll do, the castings are getting more expensive. I'm a one man show so not many get made. I really enjoy making them though. I'm thinking about doing a Stevens 44 and Whitney Pheonix, the good Lord will'in and I don't run short on money.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 6:55pm

Dennis,
Thank you for your information and discription. I don't know what a cable spring is, can you discribe that a little more?

Do you only sell throgh Gun Broker or can they be bought directly? If so, what do they sell for direct?

That 44 repro sounds very interesting, I'd love to have one made of strong material. Would you use the hammer lock like the 32/40 version did?

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

45Bullet
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:40am

The cable springs I make are 3 strands of .032 music wire thats twisted up like a rope, then formed into a double mousetrap. Pull the topcover off a AK-47/74 rifle and it's almost identical. The solid springs would break after about 3000 rnds. so I went to these to eliminate the issue. So far, I've had no calls for replacement springs sense I started making these. I sell both ways, gunbroker is convenient if I have an extra for some reason. Gunbroker also gives me an idea of how the market is for my stuff. If people know  I'm doing a few they'll stop by or call to reserve one or two. Actions are $600 ea. buy two, $550 ea. Actions are close to being ready to color caseharden, final finishing to be done after the barreling and wood working is completed. If I do the 44 it'll have the hammer-lock and will be a little over built for safetys- sake. Material will be 8620. I'll color caseharden a prototype and send it out to check the tensil and yield like I did with the hi-wall, but thats down the road a ways. I'll need to get my hands on a good 44 action to get some measurements.

IP Logged

semtav
Full Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 11:14am

Nice looking action. Do you make them for the pistol grip too, or just straight stock

IP Logged

ledball
Oldtimer

syracuse, ohio, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 11:49am

45Bullet
             I like your extractor much better than the FBW's, the FBW is a bear to fit.   ledball

IP Logged

45Bullet
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 1:58pm

Straight grip only is all I've done. I've been tempted to roll the lower tang. Just haven't done it.

IP Logged

45Bullet
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 2:06pm

Yep ledball, after a few FBW fitting sessions I thought hell with that. It took longer to fit the extractor than it did to barrel up an action. A few of the first actions I made had the FBW type extractor. Didn't take me long to go the Win. route. I call those type one actions.

IP Logged

mausershooter

USA, Idaho, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 7:51pm

I am interested in buying one.  Please tell me more about the action.

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

So Cal, California, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 6:58pm

45Bullet, If you decide to make the 44, take a look at the 417. that's the beefiest one Stevens ever made.    ...MIKE...

IP Logged

dave_j
Full Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 12:15am

i could not get anything on gunbroker. can you maybe put some pictures on assra?   thanks

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print