Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
J W Fecker scope ID (Read 2450 times)
Sendaro
Senior Forum Member

Gloversville, New York, USA
J W Fecker scope ID
Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:24am

Hi Guys,

Need some help with making a positive ID on a J W Fecker scope that I just picked up. If you have any idea of the model or year of production I'd like to hear what you have to say. Please take a look at the photos.

Sendaro

F2.jpg (120 KB | 181 )
F2.jpg
F4.jpg (274 KB | 176 )
F4.jpg
F3.jpg (190 KB | 162 )
F3.jpg
F_1.jpg (179 KB | 178 )
F_1.jpg

IP Logged

EdBu
Full Forum Member

SW Washington, Washington, USA
Re: J W Fecker scope ID
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:29pm

Sendaro;

That looks to be a 3/4" Fecker, among the first they made.  First made in Cleveland, the company later moved to Philadelphia.  From the low serial number (looks like 3 digits to me) I would gues early 20s manufacture.

The front mount looks like it has been adapted for a v-notch ala Stevens et al.  Is there a "Pope" rail for keeping the scope from rotating?

The Fecker 3/4" scope is nominally 20" long.

All of the fecker scopes I have seen have aluminum mounts.  Is the base of the rear mount stamped "J.W. Fecker?"  All of the ones I have seen have been.

The scope looks to be in excellent shape.

Do you know the power?  They were made in 4.5-6-8-10 power.

Hope this helps.

Ed

IP Logged

Dr Tom
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:15pm

I have a 3-digit 3/4" Fecker that looks identical to yours. It has steel mounts and a 1909 patent date on one of the mounts. Magnification is not marked on it, but it's about 6.

JW Fecker's factory moved whenever he moved. He held prestigious positions at Warner and Swasey (Cleveland), and later at Brashear (Pittsburgh) but I don't think produced rifle scopes under those names. I had some business at Brashear in the mid-90's when the firm was called Contraves-Goerz. There were some Fecker scopes on display in one of the front offices, but no current employees could tell me whether the scopes were made at Brashear or in a separate factory. Anybody know?

Dr Tom

IP Logged

J Louis
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:28am

In front of the 3 digits there appears to be an 8 best I can tell and probably designates the power and the scope appears the small game model.

A very nice scope indeed and if there are any handling marks I surely cannot see them and it appears as being in as new condition.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Sendaro
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 6:20am

Here is a little more information on this Fecker scope. It is just under 20" long and on the foot of each of the mounts is stamped PAT.NOV.5,1907. Do these mounts look like the old Stevens mounts? The elevation and windage mount is a 4 point type. They do not have clicks. There are very fine cross hairs and a tiny dot. Everything is in working order, and the adjustments move without issue on the scope and mounts. Anyone got an idea what this scope maybe worth? Thanks, Sendaro

IP Logged

Sendaro
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:14am

Also there is no Pope rib. It appears to me that the Vee notch in the front ring mount is the return to index point after recoil moves the scope forward when rifle is fired. See the photos. Sendaro

IP Logged

EdBu
Full Forum Member

SW Washington, Washington, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 6:52pm

Sendero;

Stroebles newer book (already several years old) shows a range of $250-$500 for that scope, with several disclaimers.  The Fecker advertisement from 1950 offered that scope for $52.  I would gladly offer 3X the 1950 price!  Any day!  I think that scope would bring more than $500 at auction, from what I have seen over the past few months.

Ed

IP Logged

Sendaro
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 10:36pm

It maybe heading for Gun Broker or ebay. It is a neat old Fecker, but I'd rather be using a Unertl.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print