Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel (Read 949 times)
Uechi
Full Forum Member

Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel
Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:01pm

These may be stupid questions but I'm going to ask them anyway. I'm planning on buying a Stevens 44 1/2 in 22LR, since 22LR seem to be the only 44 1/2 that aren't priced to the Moon. I would like to rebarrel the the rifle to a higher caliber perhaps a 32-20 or 32-40. Here goes, Is anything else required besides a replacement barrel? It was my understanding that 44 1/2 has a forged receiver rather then a caste so more powerful calibers can be used. Since 44 1/2 where made in the early 1900's I assume you can use smokeless powders without kabooms? Appreciate some help and answers. As always thanks in advance.

IP Logged

ssdave
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:30pm

In addition to a new barrel, a new breechblock in centerfire is required.  You could convert the rimfire one, but you might as well keep it and make up a switch barrel rifle, one in centerfire and one in rimfire.  Nice to be able to shoot .22 in your larger rifle at will with less than 5 minutes to change it over.

Contact Gail at CPA corporation (singleshotrifles.com) and they should be able to help you with the replacement breechblock. 

When I did a similar project, I purchased an extra lever and link from them at the same time, and set it up so I could just switch the lever/block as an assembly, instead of having to take it apart.

dave

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Re: Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:11am

You will also need an extractor to fit the cartridge. The Stevens is not hard to re-barrel but the actions seem to be threaded with a tap and are not timed so taking a barrel off of one rifle does not mean it will fit another rifle. Buying a used barrel for a Stevens may still require it to be fit to your action.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print