Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel (Read 905 times)
Uechi
Full Forum Member

Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel
Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:01pm

These may be stupid questions but I'm going to ask them anyway. I'm planning on buying a Stevens 44 1/2 in 22LR, since 22LR seem to be the only 44 1/2 that aren't priced to the Moon. I would like to rebarrel the the rifle to a higher caliber perhaps a 32-20 or 32-40. Here goes, Is anything else required besides a replacement barrel? It was my understanding that 44 1/2 has a forged receiver rather then a caste so more powerful calibers can be used. Since 44 1/2 where made in the early 1900's I assume you can use smokeless powders without kabooms? Appreciate some help and answers. As always thanks in advance.

IP Logged

ssdave
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:30pm

In addition to a new barrel, a new breechblock in centerfire is required.  You could convert the rimfire one, but you might as well keep it and make up a switch barrel rifle, one in centerfire and one in rimfire.  Nice to be able to shoot .22 in your larger rifle at will with less than 5 minutes to change it over.

Contact Gail at CPA corporation (singleshotrifles.com) and they should be able to help you with the replacement breechblock. 

When I did a similar project, I purchased an extra lever and link from them at the same time, and set it up so I could just switch the lever/block as an assembly, instead of having to take it apart.

dave

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Re: Stevens 44 1/2 re-barrel
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:11am

You will also need an extractor to fit the cartridge. The Stevens is not hard to re-barrel but the actions seem to be threaded with a tap and are not timed so taking a barrel off of one rifle does not mean it will fit another rifle. Buying a used barrel for a Stevens may still require it to be fit to your action.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print