Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hauck, Morgangoth & BSA Single-shot Rifles (Read 2301 times)
SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Hauck, Morgangoth & BSA Single-shot Rifles
Sep 1st, 2012 at 4:37pm

As I wait for my mother to get settled-in to her assisted living facility am hanging around Wichita, KS for a couple of weeks. Made the trek out to Michael Murphy's Guns outside of Augusta, KS today. While mostly known for shotguns, he also has a fairly good selection of single-shot, bolt-action and other target rifles.

In particular, he has 7-8 Hauck falling-block single-shot rifles with DSTs. Not familiar with them. An 1885 Win musket, all original in .22 Short. But, easily the best (for me) was a BSA-Martini that looked new. No markings on it whatsoever other than the barrel, 7.65x51R (30-30) and 11000 on the left side of the receiver. Forearm was Mannlicher with a 24" barrel and a matching stock with a nice right-hand cheek-piece. 3-4 drillings with 7x57 and 25-20 being two I recall. And, a Morgangoth rifle that has a similar action to a BSA-Martini. DSTs and is fully engraved with a full octagon barrel. Could find no markings as to caliber, but looked to be something pretty small from the breech-end (25-20 or 32-somthing, perhaps) and about that caliber when looking at the muzzle. Unfortunately, the owner was attending the birth of his newest child, so no one was in the shop to answer any questions. Did take a few pic's of the 'like-new' BSA-Martini in 7.65x51R that I can post next week if anyone might be interested. Terrific looking rifle. Blued finish was very high quality.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Full Forum Member

Cortland, New York, USA
Re: Hauck, Morgangoth & BSA Single-shot Rifles
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:04pm

Strange to see a BSA martini in 30-30, with european designation, no less.
Was it on a cadet action or a large action? If you say it was BSA I can't argue, but it sure sounds like something from the continent to me, especially with the charactersitics you describe.
Also, I'd bet the other rifle is a Morgenroth, not a Morgangoth.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:20pm by gewehrfreund »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:10pm

Was the smaller action. At least it was considerably smaller in size than was my MkII in .22LR. Tag stated BSA-Martini. I'll post the pic's once I return home and can download my camera.

You are likely correct about the Morganroth. Was a handwritten tag and no markings on the rifle. What can you tell us about a Morganroth? How about the Haucks? They appeared to be more modern.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Full Forum Member

Cortland, New York, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:26pm

I'm no expert on either, but Morg
e
n
r
oth is a German name and Morgangoth would be something like an american bastardization of same.
Wilber? Hauck produced the Hauck single shot aout 50 years ago or more as I recall. Not too many were made and today they command a pretty good price from single shot rifle collectors.
Others will add more first hand knowledge based information I'm sure.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 9:51pm

Morgenroth. Lovely little rifle with a Scheutzen buttplate. Any ideas on caliber? If anyone would be interested enough to see pic's I can always drop back over and take a few more of the Morgenroth and Haucks.
Think he may have cornered the Hauck market with 7 or 8 of them. A couple of them were very heavy target rifles. Benchrest or long-range, no doubt.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 12:01am

All photos happily perused!  Barreled a Falling Block Works rifle for a friend many years ago who insisted that I stamp it 7.62x52R mm instead of the more  mundane 30-30.  As part of the deal, he had a reamer re-ground to minimum dimensions. 

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:26pm

Here are the pic's of the BSA-Martini. If I was looking for a single-shot deer rifle am thinking that this might just be the one.

Wasn't able to get back to get pic's of the Morgenroth or Hauck's. Have ask for pic's from MM, but have not heard back from them.

DSCN4314.JPG (141 KB | 135 )
DSCN4314.JPG
DSCN4315.JPG (133 KB | 125 )
DSCN4315.JPG
DSCN4316.JPG (117 KB | 123 )
DSCN4316.JPG

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Full Forum Member

Cortland, New York, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 2:00pm

That's a lovely little martini sporter, but I'm surprized they didn't change the lever to match the grip curve.
What were they asking for it?

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 9:52pm

Believe it was $1995. That might have been me leaving the lever open slightly.

Did receive pictures of the Morgenroth and Hauck rifles and will post up in a couple of days whe I get a chance (match on Saturday and posting from this laptop is a PITA). Murphy tells me he has a dozen (12) of the Hauck rifles.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Full Forum Member

Cortland, New York, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 7:02am

Someone was obviously a Huack collecter!

I visited Murphy's website and did see some pictures of the Morgenroth. As soon as I saw the (American) deer antler grip, I knew I had seen this before. Too bad someone had to do that to that nice old German single shot. Looks tacky Shocked

I wish they would put some pictures of the Haucks up on thier website.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2012 at 1:27pm by gewehrfreund »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 9:34am

Yes, the added antler definitely did nothing for the rifle. Easily enough removed. Any idea on caliber?
Here are a few of the Morgenroth pic's Marc Murphy sent out. Still a very nice rifle, antlers and all.......... If anyone wants to see them all, send me you e-mail via a PM and I'll forward the e-mail with pic's attached.

1__23_.jpg (39 KB | 117 )
1__23_.jpg
1__2__001.jpg (37 KB | 120 )
1__2__001.jpg
1__14_.jpg (41 KB | 121 )
1__14_.jpg
1__17_.jpg (35 KB | 113 )
1__17_.jpg
1__10_.jpg (41 KB | 122 )
1__10_.jpg

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 9:40am

Here are a few Hauck pictures. Marc told me that he got from the estate of a friend of Wilbur Hauck. Again, if you want to see all the pic's Marc Murphy sent, PM me with your e-mail address.

dscf0009.JPG (82 KB | 126 )
dscf0009.JPG
dscf0009_1_.JPG (84 KB | 132 )
dscf0009_1_.JPG
dscf0011.JPG (86 KB | 125 )
dscf0011.JPG
dscf0012.JPG (83 KB | 125 )
dscf0012.JPG
dscf0014.JPG (81 KB | 123 )
dscf0014.JPG

IP Logged

halog