Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A pair of Rolling Block Recievers (Read 2132 times)
vonfatman

A pair of Rolling Block Recievers
Nov 3rd, 2012 at 2:15pm

Hello,
I picked up a couple rolling block receivers in a deal I made last week. Would it be appropriate (I'm a newbie here on your Forum) to put these in the "for sale" area here?

I do not wish to step on toes.

I also picked up a neat old Argentine 1879 that I will be asking some questions about shortly. The gun's bore is so clean, I think I will want to shoot it! But I've never loaded .43 Spanish so I will need to get "schooled up" a bit first.

Thank you.

Bob
Located in the Kansas City Area

IP Logged

32 ballard xl
Full Forum Member

Stand on your hind legs

Akwesasne, New York, New York, USA
Re: A pair of Rolling Block Recievers
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 2:42pm

I don't know if you can list them or not.  But if you can post pics it would help us to see what you have.  Don't forget the Argentine.  If it's in .43 Spanish, that's the father of the 44-77 Remington, used at Creedmoor.  Also called 44-77 Sharps.  Fom what I've seen here and there in print, it looks to me that the 44-77 Remington  is a match chambered, carefully rifled version of the 43 Spanish.

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

vonfatman

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 6:24pm

Pics of the two receivers.

Thanks for the help.

Roll1.jpg (254 KB | 153 )
Roll1.jpg
Roll2.jpg (286 KB | 123 )
Roll2.jpg

IP Logged

MI-shooter
Forum Mod

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 8:01pm

We have no rules regarding when a new member can post a for sale item. 1 post or 1000 posts, does not matter. We just ask you to keep it single shot related. Welcome BTW.

Ed.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Kansas City, KS, Kansas, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 8:04pm

Bob,

I am in the KC area as well. Send me a pm. Maybe we can get that thing shooting!

Merwinbray (Jon)

ASSRA&&N-SSA&&NRA

IP Logged

jon_norstog
Junior Forum Member

Old Thursday himself

pokatello Idaho, Idaho, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 10:41am

VonFatMan,

You'll love that Argy. My first rifle was an Argy cabine, mail-ordered (remember that?) from Ye Olde Hunter when I was 15. My brothers and I all had them. The .43 is a great round, only issue being that brass is not cheap. I like it better than the 45-70.

Most of the Argies were arsenal refurbed during the Peron regime. They got buffed, reblued and the barrels were broached out. Most of them are 0.44x" and will take a true .44 cast boolit.

The .43 Rolling Block shows up in US combat scenarios. One of the Spanish commanders at El Caney (Cuba) was wounded and being carried on a litter when a distant Cuban sharpshooter nailed him with a head shot from a .43. Also, the principal firearm of the Philippine Army during the Philippine-American War was the .43 Spanish RB. You can see piles of them in old photos of captured insurgent weapons.

The Argy barrels have deep grooves, so they don't get too bothered by BP fouling. You don't have to clean between shots. Fire a fouling shot and then rock on. When we were kids we used to use smokeless loads, but these days I think BP is the right stuff.

My current RB is an Argy my dad had sleeved to .44 mag, and I in turn had a 45-70 barrel made to match the original taper with the short octagon at the breech end. It is my backup rifle elk hunting, and is a kick to shoot. very accurate.

But if I was firing prone in the prairie dust on a hot summer day, maybe nervously dropping a shell on the ground between shots, I would rather be firing the bottleneck cartridge than the straight-wall 45-70.

jn

IP Logged

George Babits
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 12:20pm

The top one looks like a Danish action if that date on the left side is 1867. 

Took me a while to figure out what an "argi" was supposed to be.  Geeze, nothing like shorthand brain teasers.  That was my first rifle too.  Factory reconditioned from YeOlde Hunter for $14.95.  Must have been around 1960 or so.  Never worried about the brass as original ammo was $5/100.  The berdan primers were a pain, but I could usually pop them out with an icepick (are ice picks illegal now?).  I could get the berdan primers then.  Lots of cheap shooting.  FFFg was 50 cents/pound in a brown paper bag (or to refill your can) or 75 cents in a new can.  Mould blocks were $6.50 and better quality by far than now.  I did all my reloading with a Lyman 310 tool.  Eventually sporterized that rifle and somewhere along the line it got away from me.

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 6:32pm

George Babits wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 12:20pm:
(are ice picks illegal now?).
George
Salmon, Idaho
Think they are only illegal when you stick them in someone's eye. Wink

Couple of nice looking receivers. List them. If fairly priced they should go quickly.

Glenn

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288

New Jersey, New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 7:21pm

Ditto liking the 43 Spanish. Don't mess with smokeless - it likes original gunpowder

Regards
John Corney

IP Logged

jon_norstog
Junior Forum Member

Old Thursday himself

pokatello Idaho, Idaho, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 10:49am

To add:

It was General Vara del Rey who was trying to rally his troops in El Caney when he was shot through both legs, probably by a Krag bullet fired by one of the "Buffalo Soldiers" of the 25th Infantry.  They loaded the General onto a litter and were taking him to the rear when he was shot through the head by a Cuban sharpshooter using a .43 cal. RB.

jn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print