Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
paper patch (Read 1788 times)
Hank45
Senior Forum Member

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

MA, USA
paper patch
Dec 26th, 2012 at 6:39pm

I want to try shooting paper patched bullets with black powder, how much undersized does the bullet have to be. I was told the rifling in my barrel is .008? Thanks, Hank45    Smiley

IP Logged

Old-Win
Oldtimer

Minnesota, Minnesota, USA
Re: paper patch
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 6:52pm

I can't speak from experience but only from listening to my shooting partner on our long drives to the Quigley.  From what I understand from him, is it depends on the paper you use.  You want to find 8 or 9# onion skin, preferably with some cotton content. Most U.S. shooters wrap to bore diameter or slightly over.  Once you have the paper, do two wraps around a known diameter similar to your bullet's and calculate the increase in diameter.  Then subtract that from your bore diameter and order a mold that will cast a bullet to that size in a fairly hard ratio like 20/1.  The bullet only goes in the case about 1/10th of an inch.  An example would be like this: if the paper increases the bullet abou .007", then you would order a mould to cast a .443" bullet.  This would be about right for a .450" bore. 
I will e-mail him as he can give you a lot more info than I can. Hope this helps.  Bob

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288

New Jersey, New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 7:40pm

Quote:
how much undersized does the bullet have to be

Per Dr Gunn ...   Sharps' paper-patched, long-range and hunting bullets were designed to be about .002" greater (as patched) than bore diameter, but considerably less than the typical .458" groove diameter.  This is for black powder reloads and the naked bullet diameter is contingent on the thickness of the paper being used

Might want to read Brent Danielson's, Making, Loading, Shooting, and Hunting with Paper Patched Bullets ...  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm

Also, on Cast Boolits, there is a Paper Patch category that has many Q&A's ...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Black-Powder-Paper-Patching

My Pioneer Products Sharps 45-70 Adjustable mold (original Sharps bullet dimensions) in 1:20 casts a 445 bullet and the paper I use with 2 wraps gives me a patched bullet of 452 with my lands at  450 for black powder reloads.  If I fiddle using different paper or the reload is not to the liking of the different 45-70's, I squeeze the naked bullet with the Lee Lube Sizer

« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2012 at 7:47pm by John Boy »  

Regards
John Corney

IP Logged

MikeT
Full Forum Member

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 8:14pm

Hank,

Are we talking hunting or target shooting?  It does make a differents.  I only shoot targets so all my PP bullets in 40 and 45 caliber fit the bore or slightly over bore.  Now some folks wrap to groove diameter.
I have not gotten around to that yet, but plan to just because.

The first thing you need is a paper supply.  As Old Win said, you need an as cast bullet that will allow
two wraps of paper and still fit snug in the bore.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

gunlaker
Oldtimer

lower mainland, British Columbia, Canada
Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 9:10pm

I use a few different moulds from Buffalo Arms in .444" and .446".  I use 8 lbs Seth Cole paper and some 9lb paper from Buffalo Arms.  The Seth Cole stuff generally works the best for me as it is a little thinner.  I've had very good results patching anywhere from 0.001" under bore diameter to 0.001" over bore diameter.  In rifles with chambers cut for grease grooved bullets the composition of the wad stack can be very important.  A lube cookie between 0.030" veg fiber wads will work well as will a single 0.060" LDPE wad.  Less traditional but they work very well.

Chris.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 12:18pm

There bore diameter, there's groove diameter - and then there's tapered bullets:  bore diameter up front, and groove diameter at the base when patched.  I recently tried these, and was surprised at the accuracy.  Also, it is better suited than a bore-dia. PP bullet to the standard chambers and fireformed brass.

IP Logged

Hank45
Senior Forum Member

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

MA, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 11:46am

thank you all for your replies, Mike T for target shooting only, Hank45 Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print