Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Martini-Henry schematics (Read 3248 times)
A.Tellef

Martini-Henry schematics
Jan 28th, 2013 at 8:23am

I am looking to buy a full set of technical diagrams for Martini-Henry rifles. If there is anyone that can guide me in the right direction I would be very happy, I am a gunsmithing student and I am wanting to build one from scratch...

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Oldtimer

Re: Martini-Henry schematics
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 1:24pm

You mean blueprints?  There aren't any, the rifle was made without, they used jigs for the critical dimensions, no drawings anywhere.  As far as I know, nobody has yet taken the time to reverse-engineer the Martini.  I know of someone who did just that with the Westley Richards ZAR Martini (and then built one afterwards), but as far as I know, his drawings are not for sale.

IP Logged

jhm
Full Forum Member

georgia, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 7:23pm

My advise would be to obtain a good workable action and do the work yourself. Most all the dimensions can be done with good measuring tools and some patience and time. I have replicated many obsolete parts this way.Get some good dial calipers, one to two inch micrometers, radius gauges and a height gauge along with a surface plate if you have one. Take one part at a time and dont leave anything out.

JHolland

IP Logged

Chuckster
Oldtimer

Colorado, Colorado, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 10:00am

While you are at it, an action somewhere between the size of a Cadet and a Martini-Henry would sure be nice.
Chuck

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Senior Forum Member

SoCal, California, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 11:49am

Gosh, yes.  A Martini specifically sized to handle the 32/40 would be choice!  And . . . and with the right side cut down to facilitate loading when scoped.

OldSarge
www.thesportinggentry.com
Welcome to the Cyber-shire

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 1:00pm

And one with a hole in the breech block, making it easier to inspect & clean the barrel.  And with provision for breech seating.

IP Logged

jhm
Full Forum Member

georgia, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 5:53pm

Why you folks don't ask for much do ya!!!! Did you leave anything out?

JHolland

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

County Durham, Great Britain
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 7:24pm

jhm wrote on Jan 30th, 2013 at 5:53pm:
Why you folks don't ask for much do ya!!!! Did you leave anything out?

JHolland

Just a magazine feed. lol.  Wink

Harry

IP Logged

A.Tellef

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 8:22pm

Hey I like all the requests, it shows me (a gunsmithing student) that there is a market out there for these and that there are some wants that have never been met. And obviously I like the martini actions so I am looking forward to the challenge of building my own.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Oldtimer

Colorado, Colorado, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 11:06pm

A.Tellef,
Good attitude. Welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your project and future plans. Interesting concept of gunsmithing schools requiring building an action. Certainly teaches machining and basic concepts.
Chuck

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:07am

Mr. Tellef,

Good luck with your project, I hope you succeed. One thing to remember about Martini type actions is the feed angle when inserting a round. Don't pick a round that is too long or fat, otherwise it will jamb, and you will have wasted your time and money at least on the barrel. Quite a few people have come across that problem in re building an old Cadet or other martini action.  Huh  Undecided
Good luck
Harry

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Senior Forum Member

SoCal, California, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 12:03pm

Really?  Good info, that.  Tell me, what cartridges fall into that category?  Can you make a 32/40 on a Cadet?  How about a .219 Zipper?  I'm probably going to leave mine in .22 and use it as a parlor gun at the local pistol range but I am curious.

OldSarge
www.thesportinggentry.com
Welcome to the Cyber-shire

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 8:14am

Walter  Matera wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 12:03pm:
Really?  Good info, that.  Tell me, what cartridges fall into that category?  Can you make a 32/40 on a Cadet?  How about a .219 Zipper?  I'm probably going to leave mine in .22 and use it as a parlor gun at the local pistol range but I am curious.

Walter,
Whilst I have owned and shot several Martini actioned rifles from .22 RF to 577/450 I have never built a custom model myself. I do know that swapping rounds and rechambering can cause these problems. Many a gunsmith over the last 50 or more years has commented upon that fact. Best get in touch with a good Martini Gunsmith (John Taylor or John King come to mind) who have experience in this kind of work.

Offhand I would say that a 32/40 would work in a .310 Cadet (rebored and rechambered) providing the overall length of the cartridges are the same or very close. A .219 Zipper may be too long to feed correctly a narrow entrance to the chamber and a long cartridge case may not work. Best consult the experts who modify these rifles to US calibres.

Harry

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 8:41am

One more suggestion when you build it Look at the German and Swiss Martinis when thinking about finger levers. The Brits put the ugliest collection finger levers I have ever seen on their Martinis. Put on something that looks decent.

40 Rod

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 3:07pm

40_Rod wrote on Feb 1st, 2013 at 8:41am:
One more suggestion when you build it Look at the German and Swiss Martinis when thinking about finger levers. The Brits put the ugliest collection finger levers I have ever seen on their Martinis. Put on something that looks decent.

40 Rod

Oh please 40 Rod, we Brits put a practical lever on our Martini's. The Germans, Austrians and Swiss look like they have stolen some of the very fancy ironwork from gates leading to British 'Stately Homes' to make their levers.   Roll Eyes

Harry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print