Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gain twist liner? (Read 2646 times)
oughtsix
Senior Forum Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Gain twist liner?
Feb 5th, 2013 at 9:56pm

Any  one make a gain twist liner?

"You should not believe all the facts you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln ca.1863
Life member

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Re: Gain twist liner?
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:50pm

Commercial liners being thin walled are hammer forged.  Pretty sure liners are constant twist only. 

Joe.   Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 7:03pm

Joe:

If you took a RKS gain twist barrel blank; could you not machine it down to the width of a liner?

Expensive, but I suppose it could be done.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 7:49pm

If done that way, Dave, should make the liner as large in diameter as possible. Taking it down as thin walled as a commercial liner may create variations in bore diameter. Internal stress?  Never tried it but was warned against it by a machinist.  He also mentioned something about "hoop strength".

Joe.

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:02pm

Then add to that the cost of or, extra work in grinding custom size piloted drills....... better to go with a commercial liner.  But then again, it's hard to keep a good gun crank down.  Wink

Joe.   Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:05am

I think RKS will re-bore your barrel. Why not have it bored out and rifled with gain twist rifling?

40 Rod

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 9:49am

40 Rod - wouldn't that require a change in caliber?

You might ask John Taylor if he would make up a gain-twst barrel/liner. Think he can do so, but prefers not to as it is an expensive and time-comsuming process.

Glenn

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 10:05am

I guess I better jump in here, someone mentioned my name. Button barrels use a carbide button to force rifling in a barrel and are set for a certain twist, gain twist dose not work well with them. Hammer forged barrels use a mandrel that has the rifling on it and can not be made gain twist. Cut rifling is the only way to do gain twist. While I have a cut rifling machine I will not set it up for gain twist. This would require some  changes to the machine that I'm not willing to do sense I don't believe in gain twist to start with. There are several barrel makers that do gain twist that can make a liner.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 10:40am

Of course it would require a caliber change. The old grooves would have to be reamed out and then new cut. It usually requires about .010" larger, a .33 cal from 32 or a 39 from a 38. I never saw any requirement for the same caliber. I just thought if keeping the barrel was the goal it could be done.

40 Rod

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:48pm

For a hammer forged gaintwist liner, why not make a gaintwist mandrel. TJ's makes all kinds of liners, why not ask them?

IP Logged

oughtsix
Senior Forum Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 9:16pm

Thanks for all the response.   It was just a curiosity question that I had not heard  discussed.  Saw  a post about turning  a barrel down to make a liner and was  just wondering.

I think I'll  buy the  rifling machine on Ebay  so I can make my own...... maybe use pine for the rifling guide  ( or cedar,  that smells nice)      Who wants to invest??!

-06 Smiley

"You should not believe all the facts you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln ca.1863
Life member

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

MASSACHUSETTS, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 10:05pm

40-82Hepburn, If you made a Hammer Forge mandrel gain twist. How would you get the mandrel out of the barrel. Gain twist is a changing lead all the way through the barrel, not gonna come out no matter which way you push or pull it. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:53am

40-82Hepburn wrote on Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:48pm:
For a hammer forged gaintwist liner, why not make a gaintwist mandrel. TJ's makes all kinds of liners, why not ask them?

Pacific Tool and Gauge is now making mandrels for hammer forged barrels, I think you should call Dave and ask if he will make a gain twist mandrel.  Cheesy

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 10:23am

The problem with a gain-twist mandrel is you are stuck with one set of rifling. Say starting at 1-in-20" and ending in 1-in-10" in a 30" barrel. That's it. Want a shorter/longer barrel or a different set of twists then you need another mandrel. A barrel from RKS or others seems an easier way to go.

Glenn

IP Logged

shovel80
Senior Forum Member

Sonora,CA, California, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 10:36am

I''d like to see how those TJ's Liners are made. Is the mandrel a completely reverse of the inside of the barrel?....If that's the case, how would you slide the madrel out of a gain twist liner?

Or is the mandrel only half of 3/4 round??

John Taylor did a TJ's liner for me in .45-70 on a Sharps '74....Couldn't be Better!

Just curious,
Terry Harper Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print