Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leatherwood Malcom Scopes: What do I need to know? (Read 1217 times)
spitpatch
Junior Forum Member

Leatherwood Malcom Scopes: What do I need to know?
Feb 7th, 2013 at 1:14pm

Howdy,

A friend is fully entrenched in rebuilding/refurbishing previously altered High Walls now for about 2 years, and yet was surprised when I told him about these scopes. 

I am considering purchasing one for him (to accessorize one of his current projects: a High Wall with a #3 Round Barrel in .25-35, 28" barrel).

What do I need to know in order that he get all he needs when I order one of these? 

Something about a "Tube Lock Coupler" or such was mentioned.  Extension tubes/eyepieces??  Correct mount system??  Short version or long?

Would like to hear from anyone messing with these, regarding their experiences/tips for installation/operation, good/bad reviews, etc.

Thanks!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Re: Leatherwood Malcom Scopes: What do I need to know?
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 4:28pm

Buy the MVA B 5 instead, it's not on the MVA web site but has been covered in this forum in detail. Few dollars more made in Montana top quality exact duplicate of the original Winchester scopes

Boats

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

In Flux, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 4:57pm

Second that. MVA.

You can buy the short Malcolm from Buffalo Arms with DZ mounts for about $700, IIRC. It's not my first choice.  Tongue

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

gunlaker
Oldtimer

lower mainland, British Columbia, Canada
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:11pm

I had one and I'm glad to be rid of it.  I have two MVA's now.  One of the new B5's and a 23" Malcolm style.  The glass is excellent and the mounts are very good.

Chris.

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Senior Forum Member

new jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:34pm

Old Chinese proverb; you peanuts and you get monkeys.
Don't fool around with monkeys, buy the MVA scope.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 6:24pm

Not to mention the MVA is period correct for Winchester single shots. Really anything else is not. I have Lyman's and a couple of Unertl's none look as right as the B5 MVA. It is a bit earlier in scope development springs knobs etc than the newer externals but still functions great

Boats
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2013 at 6:52pm by boats »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 7:28pm

25/35 High Wall. Neat (I'm jealous). Think that's my next build. As stated above, get the MVA. Excellent quality and 100% built in the U.S. (glass is from Denver). You'll never look back.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2013 at 9:31pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Full Forum Member

Silver City NM, New Mexico, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 11:03pm

Agree with the above, I have three MVA scopes, one on a Martini cadet in 23-35. Took a nice javalina with it just this Monday morning, great scope on a classic little rifle in a accurate and fun to shoot caliber, whats not to like. Plus the folks at MVA are easy to deal with and stand behind their products 100%. The Leatherwood might be a fine scope but I like things made in the good old USA.

SSS

IP Logged

spitpatch
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 1:51am

Overwhelming consensus here for the MVA scopes.  I do have experience with MVA irons (on my Special Sporting Rifle in .25-20 Single Shot).

I will examine what I can regarding the MVA's, and I appreciate all the good advice.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 9:03am

If you buy a Leatherwood Malcolm style scope is take it out of the box. Now take everything that is attached to the scope tube and throw it in the junk pile. Buy a decent set of mounts. The optics are pretty good the mounts are junk.
  As others have said you will be much better off with the MVA both the scope and the mounts are quality products.

40 Rod

IP Logged

OkeyMaple
Full Forum Member

ASSRA #10880

Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 9:44am

................ another vote for the MVA. You'll even have a choice of reticles. Do it once  -  do it right. Call them - they're good folks to do business with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print